Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I'm new here, and a returning rider to the R3, as it was my very first bike and I find myself owning one again! I just commuted on it for the first time today and the lightness and nimbleness of the bike is a joy, but I find that there's a large pressure point on the palm of my right hand because I'm gripping the handlebar at a different angle than the actual angle of the grip and it's putting all my weight on that one spot. I tried squaring my hand up to the angle of the handlebar but it creates an extremely awkward angle with my wrist and elbow and I just can't ride like that. I don't have this issue with my left hand, strangely.

I'm just wondering if there's a way to adjust the angle of the clip-ons so that I can grip it properly and even out the pressure across my entire hand rather than creating this pressure point, or if I do need to order some adjustable clip-ons instead? I'm not looking to change the rise of the handlebars whatsoever, just adjust the right one a little bit forward and open the angle up a bit to get my knuckles square on the grip. It looks like there is adjustability, but I read on the forum that there isn't? Just want to clear this up so that I can order what I need asap if that's what I need to do.

Thank you!

·
Registered
382 Posts
Don't know if you are talking about 2018-or-earlier (handlebars above triple clamp) or 2019-on (handlebars below upper triple clamp) but in either case ...

The handlebars each have a clamp bolt which goes in from the side and clamps it to the fork, and a vertically-oriented bolt that connects the handlebar to the triple clamp. You don't need the vertically-oriented bolt - the clamp bolt alone is sufficient. The only reason the vertically-oriented bolt exists is to ensure that the handlebar and triple clamp are in the correct orientation on the assembly line.

Remove the bolt that holds the handlebar directly to the triple clamp and don't re-install it. Now you can loosen the clamp bolt that goes in from the side, reposition the handlebar to your liking, and tighten it again. Then carefully turn the handlebars completely left and completely right to ensure that your new handlebar position doesn't lead to the brake or clutch lever hitting something it shouldn't, or other unintended issues. Adjust as needed.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Don't know if you are talking about 2018-or-earlier (handlebars above triple clamp) or 2019-on (handlebars below upper triple clamp) but in either case ...

The handlebars each have a clamp bolt which goes in from the side and clamps it to the fork, and a vertically-oriented bolt that connects the handlebar to the triple clamp. You don't need the vertically-oriented bolt - the clamp bolt alone is sufficient. The only reason the vertically-oriented bolt exists is to ensure that the handlebar and triple clamp are in the correct orientation on the assembly line.

Remove the bolt that holds the handlebar directly to the triple clamp and don't re-install it. Now you can loosen the clamp bolt that goes in from the side, reposition the handlebar to your liking, and tighten it again. Then carefully turn the handlebars completely left and completely right to ensure that your new handlebar position doesn't lead to the brake or clutch lever hitting something it shouldn't, or other unintended issues. Adjust as needed.
Yeah, I should have been more specific. It's a 2017 R3, with the clip ons above the triple clamp. I did see that vertical bolt on them which made me think they might be adjustable - good to know that I don't need it. I'm going to try adjusting the stock ones first before sinking money into yet another mod. Thank you!

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have a 2021 R3 and want to lower the bars to a better position for cornering. The Apex looks like it will raise the bars. Has anyone purchased clip ons that lower the bars maybe an inch or so?

·
Registered
382 Posts
For the inverted-fork bikes - Nothing aftermarket is needed. You already have inverted forks with the handlebars below the upper triple clamp. Just remove the bolt that secures the handlebar to the bottom of the upper triple clamp, then loosen the handlebar clamp bolt and adjust away.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I must admit I don't know very much about bike suspension. I understand that the 2019 and newer have inverted forks. Is there anything to watch out for when lowering the bars besides binding cables and making sure nothing comes in contact when moving steering lock to lock? Thanks for the info.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts