Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm 6'1", my previous bike was a YZF R125 which has the same seat height as an R1 and is way more aggressive. I feel like I'm on an MT with the R3 being so upright and relaxed.

Is there any way I can mod the seat? I've read on an R3 racing website that a guy got something custom made, but that seems really quite expensive for an intermediate bike... any ideas?

·
Registered
365 Posts
I'm 6'1", my previous bike was a YZF R125 which has the same seat height as an R1 and is way more aggressive. I feel like I'm on an MT with the R3 being so upright and relaxed.

Is there any way I can mod the seat? I've read on an R3 racing website that a guy got something custom made, but that seems really quite expensive for an intermediate bike... any ideas?
I think this is the only street option.

http://www.yamahar3racing.com/product/nortonfab-motorsports-r3-supersport-seat-yamaha-r3/

for race bodywork get the superbike tail.. then its 2 inches higher and you have more space to go backward off the tank

·
Registered
87 Posts
Hi you can get a riser kit or swap the rear shock to the Kawasaki ER6, which is 20mm taller than the original and you will also benefit from the stiffer spring for your height!.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi you can get a riser kit or swap the rear shock to the Kawasaki ER6, which is 20mm taller than the original and you will also benefit from the stiffer spring for your height!.

My issue is the non aggressive body position and also that I'm a lil cramped up, rather than the bike's height. But not a bad idea if I was in that situation!

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have the same problem as you.

Not sure how you would bring the seating back more. I suppose you can make the handle bars further away to get a more aggressive stance.

I've been eye balling Anunaki's seat to address the height issue. The +2 inches should make the ergo racier when combined with the vortex clip ons that have that 8 degree drop (Jesse's blog says that it's 1.5" to 2" lower than stock).

I'm using the risers right now and will be saving up for the clip ons & seat to hopefully achieve the position in the picture that I've attached. Have to remember that we will never get true sport bikes ergos like an R6 just because of how the R3 was designed.

Attachments

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have the same problem as you.

Not sure how you would bring the seating back more. I suppose you can make the handle bars further away to get a more aggressive stance.

I've been eye balling Anunaki's seat to address the height issue. The +2 inches should make the ergo racier when combined with the vortex clip ons that have that 8 degree drop (Jesse's blog says that it's 1.5" to 2" lower than stock).

I'm using the risers right now and will be saving up for the clip ons & seat to hopefully achieve the position in the picture that I've attached. Have to remember that we will never get true sport bikes ergos like an R6 just because of how the R3 was designed.

That looks like a really cool and useful website. I know if we modify seat height and the clip ons we'll need some rearsets which are sky high. People seem to have a lot of issues with scraping the pegs and toe sliders during hard leans, and the current market for rearsets don't seem to satisfy our needs, as in they don't really allow use to get enough. Yamaha R3 racing have a good article:

http://www.yamahar3racing.com/2016/03/what-are-the-best-rearsets-for-the-yamaha-r3/

·
Registered
9 Posts

Fabricate a new seat.
https://youtu.be/NY6tcph9TO8

1 - 9 of 9 Posts