Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey all, shopping for a winter jacket. I don't like bulky adventure jackets which are more numerous for 4-season category it seems; I'm a sportbike rider and like the sportbike jacket lines.

I have two Icon Overlord Stealth jackets which I love for the money and they have decent liners and are pretty toasty and without the liner can be worn in the heat. However, its really not suited for layering or the heart of winter temps. I have a lightweight mesh RS Taichi which is summer only and a Dainese Raptors jacket which is a lightweight textile jacket. I prefer textile and mesh. Just got an awesome Klim midlayer fleece type jacket that is perfect for layering; highly recommend it for $99.

I really like Alpinestars, Icon, Dainese and RS Taichi gear for their looks, quality, price and functionality. Ive had luck with Revit, Scorpion, and AGV gear in the past. Oh, I prefer a black or gray jacket with maybe some high-viz or reflective lines/accents and would like to keep it below $400-$450. Spending $700 on a jacket is beyond me. I spent that much on my **** winter parka, and still a button fell off, which is inexcusable in my opinion. So anyone got some good recommendations for a sport bike 4-season jacket that has pockets for armor inserts, is good for layering, waterproof, and possibly has a removable liner? Being able to use it 4-season would be nice but if not, that's fine. A winter only jacket is fine too. I have enough stuff to wear outside of winter.

I really like the Alpinestars T-JAws WP jacket in black/yellow, the Dainese Laguna Seca D-Dry, and REV'IT! Shield Jackets so far, but still looking.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I have a speed and strength chain reaction jacket, this is more of a 3 season jacket, but I find it comfortable for winter riding. I took it 30mins one way to work in 40F I was warm, my hands were frozen and my legs were frozen (I didn't even have the liner in it). The ventilation is nice if you open the zippers (two vent panels across chest and one on back, one on each forearm) I've used it all weather so far and find it fantastic in all conditions. Right now it's $100 WITH CE armor inserts which is an incredible price, I feel like it's a steal at that price and it's water resistant.

http://www.bikebandit.com/riding-ge...kets/speed-and-strength-chain-reaction-jacket

Revzilla will price match them FYI, I did it :)

Although take my word with a grain of salt, it's my first jacket and I'm still a newbie :p but I never felt cold in cool weather riding without the liner.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the idea. That is a nice lookinh jacket and a killer deal. Definitely takingg a look at it.

Man, no one else has any ideas or is this forum filled with a bunch of hot weather riders? (pussies) :)

·
Registered
542 Posts
The jacket doesn't make much difference. Just get something wind proof and layer under it. I have a solid leather jacket I wear with a down jacket under. If it's extra cold, thermals under that.

4 season jackets are a waste unless they have a very good liner system imo. They don't have enough venting for summer, and usually aren't that well suited to winter (well, a Northeast winter).

The best money you could spend on a jacket is probably a heated vest, which will greatly extend the temperature range of the jackets you already own.

Last thing, is whatever you wind up with, get a balaclava as well. Best 10 bucks you can spend for winter riding. Being able to keep cold air off your neck and face is incredible.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Thanks for the idea. That is a nice lookinh jacket and a killer deal. Definitely takingg a look at it.

Man, no one else has any ideas or is this forum filled with a bunch of hot weather riders? (pussies) :)

Pussies? The only 'pussie', I see is the one in Brooklyn, NY.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
The jacket doesn't make much difference. Just get something wind proof and layer under it. I have a solid leather jacket I wear with a down jacket under. If it's extra cold, thermals under that.

4 season jackets are a waste unless they have a very good liner system imo. They don't have enough venting for summer, and usually aren't that well suited to winter (well, a Northeast winter).

The best money you could spend on a jacket is probably a heated vest, which will greatly extend the temperature range of the jackets you already own.

Last thing, is whatever you wind up with, get a balaclava as well. Best 10 bucks you can spend for winter riding. Being able to keep cold air off your neck and face is incredible.
Agreed. Layering does no good if it's not windproof. I ride with my leathers and an ultra thin windbreaker. Does fine in San Diego which can see freezing temps up in mount Laguna. Rather than a balaclava I use a neck warmer to keep wind out.

·
Registered
304 Posts

As a former NY man, now in AZ, yeah, after a while my definition of "cold" is anything below 50F. However, riding in 115-120f in the summer more than compensates.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Yeah sound advice. I'm over balaclavas-had to wear one in tank no matter if it was 120 degrees or 17 degrees out. I prefer a neck gator. I personally like motorcycle gear with those little details and armor pockets even though I usually wear different combinations of armor depending on weather. I wear my Icon Overlord without liner in summer and with liner in colder months, however it's not waterproof. My Dainese Raptor is waterproof, but has no liner and is more of a summer jacket. Even if 4-seasons aren't true year round jackets, I can usually deal with it. You just have to shop well. Most have a removable liner for winter, but sometimes they also have a wicking liner that isn't removable and doesn't allow for cool venting in summer. Just looking for that holy grail jacket I guess.

Most non-motorcycle jackets just aren't suited for riding IMAO. I wear "regular" parkas and jackets but they're not suited for riding. I used to wear my leathers when riding, but got ride of all my leathers sans one old Hein GEricke jacket, but never wear it. I prefer textile or mesh. With a thermal on, a wicking shirt, a mid-layer fleece or someone under a jacket, and I'm good to go.

Thanks for the thoughts @cxa0897. I had just stared to research heated gear, namely a vest. A vest seems to be the most practical and affordable. Other stuff like gloves, grips, etc would be superfluous to me. I like RS Taichi stuff, and they have some heated gear, but haven't found a North American retailer that sells any of their heated stuff. Do you have any heated gear?

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Agreed. Layering does no good if it's not windproof. I ride with my leathers and an ultra thin windbreaker. Does fine in San Diego which can see freezing temps up in mount Laguna. Rather than a balaclava I use a neck warmer to keep wind out.
Me too, neck gator. Nihon no tenki wa dodesu ka?

Pilot makes good jackets. They are also half off right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Never seen or tried them-thanks for rec, I'll take a look at them.

As a former NY man, now in AZ, yeah, after a while my definition of "cold" is anything below 50F. However, riding in 115-120f in the summer more than compensates.
Agreed. You're blood is getting thin now! Either extreme can be brutal. However, I think it is easier to warm up than it is to cool down. I was in the Mojave in July, and the wet bulb therm read 125. It was so brutal.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Don't have any heated gear experience other than heated grips. I'm not very good with cords, and I'm pretty sure I'd rip them out all the time. I'm reasonably comfortable down to 25/30 degrees with my layering system and don't see much need to ride below that, especially with the conditions we have in the tri state. If it's that cold out, it's usually frosty, wet, icy, or sand blasted. Or all of the above.

All of the "old guys" Ive ridden with swear by heated gear though, and I trust their experience and opinions 100%. They've been riding a long time and are in the know. I do know myself that keeping your core warm is essential. Once the air starts getting under my jacket it's only a matter of time until my extremities are cold. A good vest would help immensely.

Per the holy grail, I have multiple jackets now; full on mesh for really hot and humid summer days, perfed leather, solid leather, and I still have my original 3 season textile which I purchased as a newbie. I use it for my touring trips if I expect a fair bit of rain since textile dries a whole lot quicker than leather. It would probably cost as much as all four jackets combined to find a single jacket that could encompass that spectrum, but I am picky on gear. With the mileage I do I can justify being so :)

·
Registered
271 Posts
Pilot is what a lot of guys in AMA/moto america wear. Ben spies wore them when he raced in the US. My dad has a couple of their jackets, They are really nice. I lived around the corner from them in Murrieta, Ca for a while. If u ever need leathers repaired, they do that too. I sent them a dianese jacket that had minor road rash on the shoulder. They removed the section and but a new piece of leather in. Id highly recommend pilot for textile and leather gear.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Don't have any heated gear experience other than heated grips. I'm not very good with cords, and I'm pretty sure I'd rip them out all the time. I'm reasonably comfortable down to 25/30 degrees with my layering system and don't see much need to ride below that, especially with the conditions we have in the tri state. If it's that cold out, it's usually frosty, wet, icy, or sand blasted. Or all of the above.

All of the "old guys" Ive ridden with swear by heated gear though, and I trust their experience and opinions 100%. They've been riding a long time and are in the know. I do know myself that keeping your core warm is essential. Once the air starts getting under my jacket it's only a matter of time until my extremities are cold. A good vest would help immensely.

Per the holy grail, I have multiple jackets now; full on mesh for really hot and humid summer days, perfed leather, solid leather, and I still have my original 3 season textile which I purchased as a newbie. I use it for my touring trips if I expect a fair bit of rain since textile dries a whole lot quicker than leather. It would probably cost as much as all four jackets combined to find a single jacket that could encompass that spectrum, but I am picky on gear. With the mileage I do I can justify being so :)
Me too. The downside of heated gear seems to be the cords, which you'd think would be a PITA. Besides, I've got enough extra wires and posi-taps for my Scorpio Ride alarm/data unit, PC5 and Autotune, etc I think my stock battery is pushed to its limit, and I can barely screw in the positive lead due to all the extra wires. I also wanted to add a wire for my iPhone and a radar/laser detector.

Pilot is what a lot of guys in AMA/moto america wear. Ben spies wore them when he raced in the US. My dad has a couple of their jackets, They are really nice. I lived around the corner from them in Murrieta, Ca for a while. If u ever need leathers repaired, they do that too. I sent them a dianese jacket that had minor road rash on the shoulder. They removed the section and but a new piece of leather in. Id highly recommend pilot for textile and leather gear.

Funnily enough I was flipping through this month's Road Racing World mag and saw a Pilot ad. Funny when you're introduced to something and then it pops up in places all of a sudden.

I just ordered a Dainese Raptors jacket. It's a pure summer jacket but really nice and on sale for $199. It is really good looking, available in a ton of color combos, black/anthracite, red/black/white, and a cool hi-viz blue/yellow/black. It has hard armor in the shoulders, elbows, and arms and accepts Dainese manis armor inserts in the chest and back. It is very high quality-the zippers, buttons, "snapable" collar, "snapable" cuffs, etc. It is pretty form fitting so if you order one, you might think of getting one size up. With the back armor in, it is pretty form fitting as its cut is "slim" I would say. Highly recommended for the money.

I think I am getting an Alpinestars Warden Air jacket which is a waterproof jacket with a removeable liner. It's apparently very warm for colder weather, and breathable for summer riding. It's murdered out which I like, but my Dainese and one of my Icon jackets are murdered out. One of my Icon's is hi-viz gray/orange since I want a little hi-viz and reflectivity to be seen as my R3 is black. That's why I think when I order my Shoei RF-SR, I am getting the hi-viz orange. Originally I wanted the Alpinestars T-Jaws WP in black with hi-viz fluorescent yellow accents, but due to it breathing vents only going into the non-removeable wicking liner, the vents don't go directly toward the body, which kind of sucks. So one is apparently a true 4-season, and the one I really like with the hi-viz accents is ostensibly only good for cold and cooler weather. I ride all year outside of the freezing days with snowy, salty, and sandy roads during the bad northeast winter months which is basically Jan-Feb, but the lion's share of my riding is probably with a light jacket so a winter only jacket wold probably be relegated to 3 months of use, and I don't know if that is prudent. Meh, you can never have enough gear. :) You always think like "Bam, I am set, I got everything I need," and then you see another piece of gear or a new part, and either click, click, Buy or add it to your wishlist. :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts