Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Well, I'm guessing you should use a socket or a closed end wrench. It should be the same size as the fork nuts 22 mm.
+ a torque wrench
A torque wrench is not supposed to be used for loosening a nut or bolt. The only reason you can change direction on them is so you can torque bolts with different thread directions.

·
Super Moderator
928 Posts
A torque wrench is not supposed to be used for loosening a nut or bolt. The only reason you can change direction on them is so you can torque bolts with different thread directions.
True. I believe BluebirdR3 was just pointing out the obvious. An extended handle (such as torque wrench that's longer than a normal socket wrench) is easier to move a nut and bolt fastener than a short handled wrench. And after it's loosened, you need to use a torque wrench to tighten. :nerd:

·
Registered
93 Posts
What I meant was after loosening something one has to tighten something back and without having a torque wrench one won't be able to tighten it up to the spec.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Having cold feet now if I should tamper with the fork stem nut. Since it’s holding stuffs together. Thoughts? Anyone tried this before?

·
Registered
125 Posts
It is not that hard to remove at all. Get a proper 1/2" drive large ratchet or breaker bar and the proper socket; 6 point is ideal but not strictly necessary. When you unscrew it, the steering will of course turn to the left - let it, until it is against the steering stop, at that point you can apply the torque needed to loosen the nut, because the steering can't turn any further left.

If you are concerned about scratching stuff, put masking tape on the surfaces that you are concerned about.

·
Registered
104 Posts
They're pretty hard to get off at first. a long breaker bar and a good, stable wheel chock are extremely helpful. I did this to my bike in a matter of minutes. Not hard to do at all

1 - 14 of 14 Posts