Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a r6 throttle for my 2019 r3. When i tried switching out the stock throttle with the cables complete loose at the adjuster i still cant manage to get the new throttle to work.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Check YouTube for a video from "Sportbike track gear"/STG. Brian Van does a really good video explaining how to do it. You will need to loosen the other end of the throttle cables from the throttle bodies to fit the R6 throttle tube. That is the only way to fit the R6 throttle tube. It's not difficult, just take your time. I have the same bike, and it's definitely worth the effort-

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Check YouTube for a video from "Sportbike track gear"/STG. Brian Van does a really good video explaining how to do it. You will need to loosen the other end of the throttle cables from the throttle bodies to fit the R6 throttle tube. That is the only way to fit the R6 throttle tube. It's not difficult, just take your time. I have the same bike, and it's definitely worth the effort-
Ive watched every video on youtube. It is all for 2018 r3s and lower. Not one video for the new r3. What year is yours

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Im able to get the cables onto the r6 throttle tube but when i try to put the cable assembly back in the switch handle it is super tight to align and once it is the throttle is stiff, and doesnt return all the way.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Im able to get the cables onto the r6 throttle tube but when i try to put the cable assembly back in the switch handle it is super tight to align and once it is the throttle is stiff, and doesnt return all the way.
All years of the R3 use the exact same chassis. all that changed for 2019-2020 is the forks, and bodywork (mine is a 2019). That being said, it sounds like something got either pinched, or misrouted? Also, there is a "peg" on the inside of the switch on the throttle side, that goes into a hole on the handlebar (to keep it from rotating on the bar), make sure that is seated. Does the throttle turn smoothly when it's not mounted on the bike? It's a good idea to (lightly) grease the outside if the bar, and inside if the throttle tube as well. Good luck-

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yea i greased the r6 tube and bar and it spun just fine. I attached the cables and those went on fine as well. Its when i try closing up the switch handle that im having issues with the cable assembly lining back up. And when i do manage to get the plastic part of the cables lined up the throttle doesnt work properly

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just wanted to see if someone with a 2019 was able to get it to work. Ill try taking off the fairings and disconnecting from throttle body like stg said and see if that will works

·
Registered
220 Posts
That is the correct throttle number. There are only two things that this could be:

1. They sent you an incorrect or somehow faulty throttle
2. You're doing it wrong. There are many video guides on youtube on how to do this. There are also a couple of threads on these forums that detail how to do it, which are the ones I used. They have images comparing the new throttle to the old, and show clear pictures of how the cable should be clipped in and aligned. I don't have time to search for these atm.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I replaced the stock throttle tube on my 2020, R3, ABS, with the R6. Simple swap out. Significantly different throttle response, snappy and balanced. Hardest part was accessing screws on housing, approximately 45 mins start to finish. Most cost efficient mod to date. My bike has 1700 miles on it, this may have made to install easier.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts