Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy all!

Riding in Ohio is pretty slow right now. I get out when I can, but I'm usually at work around 06:00 and **** it's cold on a bike right then. LOL! So I'm getting ahead on things for the spring.

As of this writing I'm still rolling with stock rubber. I guess like everyone else I've had my share of pucker moments. I thought at some point they would "break in," but they are almost as slippery now with a couple thousand miles on them as they were when they were still shiny and new.

So, I'm getting ready to order some kind of new rubber so that when I get warmer days, but it's raining I won't be constantly worrying about losing the rear end. It seems both the DR III's and S21's have enjoyed good reviews. It also appears that they both would require a 150/60 rear tire for our bikes. Pricing seems close enough to not matter a whole lot. I think the wear will be OK for me. I mostly commute on my R3, but I enjoy a twisty road as much as the next guy when I get the time, but I'm not overly hard on tires. As much as I'd love to, I don't think this bike will see a track day this year so that doesn't need to figure into the equation.

What I'm really wondering about is what folks in the real world think about these tires on bikes like the R3, N300 and RC390. I don't think you can compare this tire on a "300" and a "600." The power difference is just too much and from what I understand they use a somewhat different rubber compound for the small bikes (I may not have understood that last bit about compounds correctly, feel free to correct me).

Love them?

Hate them?

How well do they work in the rain? I ride in rain all the time, I just can't deal with the really cold temps.

How well do they heat up when it's 38F and raining? That's the kind of situation that I can't get any heat into the stock tires. Slippery!

I'm not necessarily looking for a comparison between the two brands or models, just your thoughts if you own one or the other. If you've spent time on both riding a "300" great!

Thanks for any helpful insights!

Giff

·
Registered
542 Posts
You are a perfect profile for a dual compound or sport touring tire.

I ride similarly to you, fair bit of commuting, and aggressive rides on the weekends (occasional track day as well). I've got Metzler z8s on my r3 and love them. Grippy enough for me to run at novice/intermediate track pace and still durable enough to commute on. I've got 4 thousand miles or so on mine and they aren't squared off at all. I'm expecting to get at least 8k out of the rear, but that depends on how many track days I do this year.

I'm happy with them in the cold weather, been riding down to 20 here in NJ and haven't had any issues. Rain has also been a non issue.

The drii/s20 will square off very quickly commuting. Average life is probably only 3-4k miles.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You are a perfect profile for a dual compound or sport touring tire.
So, I've wondered about that, but these Michelin tires are so crappy I thought about going right to sport tires. When I rode in the 80's and 90's it was a lot of dirt and a lot of "I don't know/care" so I've got a lot to catch up on. If I could find a sticky sport touring tire that I could get 6-8000 miles out of that would be ideal. I want something that inspires confidence when you're getting your lean on. These old bones still have enough skill left in them to scrub off some chicken strips, but not on these bias ply tires. If I have to get sport tires and get less than ideal mileage out of them I'll do that, but if some of y'all have other alternatives I'll listen. They just can't be horrible in the rain! Between the rear sliding all over the place in the turns and the slip and slide "fun" on tar snakes I've had it with tires that won't heat up!!!!

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
I've commut d on the stock tires just for a few miles and took it for a couple hours through San Diego twisties. The tire did ok but I had S20's on the way anyways. While I don't think you need a hyper sport tire for everyday commuting and occasional twisty roads, having them is definitely worth it. I also did a few track days n mine which was the reason I swapped out my tires so early, in preps for those track days.

Fwiw I have taken the stock tires through a very rare rain in San Diego. I was far more worried about getting blown around on my tiny little 360 lbs bike than I was losing traction. On that specific ride I wished I was on my heavier 650.

I have used S20's but not the S21's. They are supposed to be better in every way, including more mileage. Only other thing I can compare to would be Q3's. I like the S20's more but that's in no way saying that the Q3's suck because they were also excellent tires. Only prob is bat those tires have crap mileage on either my Zx6r or ninja 650, but then again anyone buying a performance tires should not be expecting commuting type numbers for mileage.

Edit: On S20's on my zx6r I got around the 2500-3000 miles before the bike was sold on the same tires. I think it's safe to say I would have broke 3000 miles on S20's with the R3 but I also sold it before reaching the end if the tires' life. I would expect at least 3000-3500 on S20's as well for the R3.

Not sure if j only confused you more but TLDR:

Hyper sport tires are definitely worth it, but not needed for everyday commuting including rain. Can do ok in the twisties as well. I personally would slap on new tires because they are cheap for our smaller bikes and I like track days.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts