Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the other night I installed my Leo Vince pipe with the custom headers from Anunaki. Runs great and don't notice any power drops or unusual behaviour, but she backfires and pops like crazy on deccel.

Season is ending soon here so I don't plan on getting a power commander and dyno tune until spring. Is this going to damage the engine if I run her for about a week?

Attachments

·
Registered
198 Posts
If you're running lean, yes you could very well destroy your engine. I had a KLR650 that I was working on and still commuting with. One day the air filter door fell off and I didn't notice for a week of lean ridding. This lean riding burned up by brand new piston and it needed another rebuild after only 100 miles or so.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you're running lean, yes you could very well destroy your engine. I had a KLR650 that I was working on and still commuting with. One day the air filter door fell off and I didn't notice for a week of lean ridding. This lean riding burned up by brand new piston and it needed another rebuild after only 100 miles or so.
So even running it for one more week could kill her? Is there a way to check if it's running lean vs rich other than the plugs?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You'll be fine, just stop doing it intentionally (especially while stationary), you don't want to be "that" guy
Can't do it intentionally stationary. This was a screen shot from a video to try and capture the sound. Only did it the once ever while sitting there..so far anyways. Will just take it easy for next two weeks!

·
Super Moderator
1,329 Posts
Just unplug the air pump electrical connection, I could be wrong, but I don't think the block-off plate, etc are strictly necessary, except to save weight

·
Registered
304 Posts
So the other night I installed my Leo Vince pipe with the custom headers from Anunaki. Runs great and don't notice any power drops or unusual behaviour, but she backfires and pops like crazy on deccel.

Season is ending soon here so I don't plan on getting a power commander and dyno tune until spring. Is this going to damage the engine if I run her for about a week?
How's the sound with the Leo Vince? I had a LeoVince slipon on my gsxr600 and loved it, I think it looks great on your bike.

·
Registered
732 Posts
I'd definitely add a block-off plate, BMC air filter, and Bazazz or PC5 with installation of full exhaust. The incredibly cool exhaust flames are...um...cool...but will be damaging. If you dont plug/block off the hoses, air returns to the system which leads to backfires, popping, etc. It will be more pronounced with an aftermarket exhaust. And get it tuned on a Dyno if you have a add an auto tuner or get the correct mapping. Most every issue I have seen with these systems is related to the installing full exhaust, air box, and emissions system and not installing a smog block off plate or similar mod.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

How's the sound with the Leo Vince? I had a LeoVince slipon on my gsxr600 and loved it, I think it looks great on your bike.
AMAZING. Best sound I've heard on the R3 hands down compared to all other options.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts