Yamaha R3 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,270 Posts
I have used both Shoria and AntiGravity. Both are good batteries. The one advantage the Shoria had over the AG is, when using the Shoria charger, it can balance each cell individually.

Again, you specifically need the Shoria charger to do that.
A standard balancing lipo/life charge would work, right? Or do they have some snazzy proprietary plug.

·
Super Moderator
1,387 Posts
I have used both Shoria and AntiGravity. Both are good batteries. The one advantage the Shoria had over the AG is, when using the Shoria charger, it can balance each cell individually.

Again, you specifically need the Shoria charger to do that.
I was told that the AG has a built in balance board which is one of the reasons that Hard Racing recommends them over the Ballistic lithium units.

·
Super Moderator
1,387 Posts
Bringing this thread back up again. Since it's winter time here and I'm bored - was thinking again about upgrading my battery. The stock one is currently in the garage still in the bike. I'm not really worried though as I have a charger so no biggie. But still wondering if anyone has had some longer term experience with Anti-Gravity vs. Shorai lithium batteries. I might just email Anti-Gravity to see if what Hard Racing told me was correct.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Bringing this thread back up again. Since it's winter time here and I'm bored - was thinking again about upgrading my battery. The stock one is currently in the garage still in the bike. I'm not really worried though as I have a charger so no biggie. But still wondering if anyone has had some longer term experience with Anti-Gravity vs. Shorai lithium batteries. I might just email Anti-Gravity to see if what Hard Racing told me was correct.
I have been using a Shoria battery for about 5 years now in my race bikes. Three of those years was in my SV running a total loss system.

I have also used, and just picked up a new one, Anti Gravity 4 cell battery.

The only problem I have had with both batteries was during cold starts. This is a common problem with these types of batteries. You need to let the battery warm up by turning on lights and accessories. Then start the bike. This does become an issue with a race bike with no accessories or lights though.

I just took the battery in on nights when it was goin to be cold. I also store all my LiFe/LiPo batteries inside during winter. I don't even hook them up to chargers.

Come spring they are still ready and fully charged.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I currently run a Shorai in my race setup and couldn't be happier. The weight advantages a battery swap con provide is unreal. Definitely worth looking into. My battery isn't the exact one that is called for the R3 application, so I had to do a little piddling to get it to fit. All in all, it worked out well, though. No problems yet! :)

·
Registered
237 Posts
As far as keeping it charged goes, I simply bought a Battery Tender Lithium Jr. It's worked great for a full year in keeping my battery good. I believe I paid around $30-35 for it.

Just my $0.02!

·
Registered
810 Posts
As far as keeping it charged goes, I simply bought a Battery Tender Lithium Jr. It's worked great for a full year in keeping my battery good. I believe I paid around $30-35 for it.

Just my $0.02!
This is very important! You must use the proper maintainer for the type of battery you buy. Shoria makes a very nice one that will balance each cell individually and maintain the charge. The Anti Gravity is just a general trickle charger for their type of battery.

·
Super Moderator
1,270 Posts

Just my $0.02!
But lithium batteries don't really "lose" charge (self-discharge) maybe 5% a year ... although they don't like to deliver current while cold, it's great for storing them long term. Lithiums prefer to not be at full charge for storage actually. Implying it might be best to just ditch the battery tender unless something is leaning on the battery.

·
Registered
104 Posts
My horn started to sound different it sounds like someone playing the trumpet and he is running out of air. Is that a sign to change the batt?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
1,387 Posts
So I got an email back from Anti Gravity and they told me that a balance charger was not necessary since their batteries come already balanced. I find this a bit unsettling as the first rule of lithium is that should always balance charge your batteries. I believe Shorai has a balance plug on theirs so that might be a better way to go. And I have a balance type charger but I'm still hesitating because I worry about getting caught somewhere with a cold battery that won't start my bike (in the colder weather here in Canada that could be a real issue). I was thinking that I could carry a portable lithium jump start pack but seriously, I don't really think I should have to do that.

I was all gung ho to do this switch for the weight savings but now I'm not sure.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Napa AGM

I just got bike out of storage to find a dead battery. Where I live I am limited to options. Bought this battery from local NAPA store. It is larger than OEM, has 220 CCA also. I did have to reroute battery cables, no issues, plenty long. I had to modify existing battery tray compartment by basically just cutting away protruding plastic to make area all flush for taller battery. Width fits perfectly. Also had to take out small portion of plastic seat pan to compensate for battery terminal locations. Not much to it really and now have a strong battery from a trusted company. Not sure of weight but not an issue for me anyways.

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/SBEETX14

Attachments

·
Registered
77 Posts
Get the smallest Deltran battery tender battery. It is not as light as the antigravity, but I can tell ya it works great, and has 4 plug in locations on top. I also got the junior tender with it.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts