Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
I'm just wondering if it's worth the upgrade? They don't cost much on their own, but I am not sure I could install them myself since I'd have to remove both wheels.
Ceramic bearings are significantly more expensive than normal ones. But if you can afford them, go for it! I do think however if just taking the wheels off is what's stopping you, you might need to rethink installing these, as you will need some specialized tools just for that.

·
Registered
255 Posts
If you're looking for that last n'th of a second on the track and your stock ones are completely shot then they might be worth the upgrade. I haven't seen a complete set of ceramic bearings for under $300. For that price I'm better off paying for private coaching to find more speed on track.
For street riding there's no point in going to full ceramic bearings unless you're looking for longevity.

As for installation, here's a video:
http://youtu.be/qaKcgFy6e64

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
What Ruby said. $170 is quite a lot for bearings, when stock ones are probably like $50 or less, but unless you have many miles on your bike you shouldn't need to replace them. Ceramic bearings are what the top expert racers use to gain that slight advantage over the competition who doesn't want to drop a bunch of money on bearings. For street riding, it's a waste of money. You won't notice a single difference. And if you're only getting them just so can say you have them, feel free to say that right now...not like anyone's going to see them anyway.

Reactions: BluebirdR3
1 - 6 of 6 Posts