Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Looks promising with bigger engine and low weight but looking under the bodywork and you see how they kept weight down. They have a meager looking frame, I fear the frame may flex too much when pushed hard. That is, if you spend $$'s on suspension upgrades on this platform, you will not realize the gains you hope for. Look at the R3 or the CBR500 frame, then at the new ninja 400.

Ninja 400 [this is a flexing frame]
https://www.google.com/search?q=kawasaki+400+ninja+frame&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS732US732&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiVisPxoo_ZAhUHJt8KHdspABoQ_AUICygC&biw=1920&bih=974#imgrc=YbMTj-TOhp8RbM:

CBR500 [heavy but looks very stout, especially around the front]
http://world.honda.com/CBR500R-CB500F-CB500X/frame-chassis/image/img_01.jpg

R3 [good compromise with weight and strength, but could see it flexing some when pushed very hard]
https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-lMIN56MFajE/WDZPCcrJ2qI/AAAAAAAAAUU/o3u9s-niH9wtqa-TGgQ0eZcwYGe0VWdawCLcB/s1600/Yamaha+R3+chassis.jpg

Watch what people say about the handling when they start selling the newest Ninja.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Excellent. Track the riders that are dropping serious coin in their suspension and what they are saying after the mods.

Yamaha will hopefully not make this error in the next gen offering.

·
Registered
110 Posts
No denying the power output. The chassis/suspension and great brakes let you use all that power; you really need 3 of 3 to go fast.

Don't get me wrong, I think the Ninja 400 will be a nice bike but will fall short of a great bike because I'm betting it will have some limitations you cannot get around.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts

·
Registered
856 Posts
Who draws those pretty lines?
Dyno printouts dont look like that.
And how come theyve gone claimed crank hp for the kawasaki,
A brand know for huge claims and empty promises.
And the least output ive seen an r3 at 35.

·
Registered
856 Posts
'accelerating on an uphill freeway section to 105 mph while sitting upright. In a tuck on a downhill road, he saw 127 mph on the speedo and estimates an actual 120-mph top speed.'

So thats 204 downhill,
193 on the flat,
Exactly the same as the Australian model R3 pulls.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Who draws those pretty lines?
Dyno printouts dont look like that.
And how come theyve gone claimed crank hp for the kawasaki,
A brand know for huge claims and empty promises.
And the least output ive seen an r3 at 35.
All valid criticisms. I think maybe the chart was prepared by someone who really likes Kawasaki.

Jim G

·
Registered
64 Posts
I think the Ninja 400 will be a nice bike but will fall short of a great bike because I'm betting it will have some limitations you cannot get around.
So far all the reviews are very positive and Ari Henning rated it. The spongy brakes have been mentioned but that's about it. I haven't ridden one yet though. Getting mine in March some time on 2nd shipment.

Note that it found the CRANK horsepower on the Kawasaki European website, and it is apparently 44 crank hp (NOT rear wheel hp). That is not much different than the KTM or our R3.
Here's another dyno print out but not sure if its crank or rear wheel. Max HP 45.5
27858820_1576704462383500_6345017288051467419_n.jpg

There is a great shoot out just begging to be done between the Ninja 400, R3 and RC390 :Anyone

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Comparing a Ninja 300 I rode vs the R3 I owned, the R3 definitely felt like it had more grunt. That said, that could just be rider perspective. Maybe people who have owned or ridden both could confirm what I felt? In theory, the 400 should have more power. Power aside, there are plenty of videos with small bikes proving power isn’t everything.

So, what does the new 400 have over the R3 at its current price point? Bigger brake rotor, slipper clutch and a possibly more power? If I was a brand new rider,I would probably go with the Kawi. The R3, from experience though handles really well for me. The R3 already has decent aftermarket support. Suspension upgrades, brackets for better calipers, exhausts and fuel management systems are already out there. Maybe in two or three years, these will materialize for the new 400, along with a realistic attainable 50ish hp with some easy mods?

·
Registered
856 Posts
The graph is saying an r3 is only 0.7 more than a ninja 300,
Fail to believe that as my std r3 easily pegs back 2 bike lengths,
Makes a pass, and pulls a few more at a very short straight on our track where we only hit 160.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
So far all the reviews are very positive and Ari Henning rated it. The spongy brakes have been mentioned but that's about it. I haven't ridden one yet though. Getting mine in March some time on 2nd shipment.

Here's another dyno print out but not sure if its crank or rear wheel. Max HP 45.5
View attachment 60673

There is a great shoot out just begging to be done between the Ninja 400, R3 and RC390 :Anyone
That's NOT a Dynojet graph. It was done on another brand of dyno, so it is not at all comparable and means nothing. Dynojet results, properly corrected to SAE (not STD), are the only comparable results.

That said, there's no question that low and mid rpm power is going to be good with an engine that is larger than its competitors (25% larger than our R3 engines), so it should be a pleasant bike to ride AND still get you a great insurance rate.

Jim G

·
Registered
267 Posts
Does anyone else think the new 400 looks like an R3? The front end is nearly a direct copy in my opinion.
No, it looks like the Ninja 650, which looks like the H2. Having looked at pics of the new N400 and obviously having seen an R3, I don't get why people say this. There is a superficial resemblance sure, but that's sportbikes in general and angular lines are the current trend. Having been in a shop yesterday with both the N650 and R3 near side by side, they're definitely different at the front.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Ari and Zach have been working on that, also including the CBR300 and one or two others. Last I saw, the RC390 and N400 were the last 2 bikes standing, but the full report isn't out yet.

·
Super Moderator
1,245 Posts
No, it looks like the Ninja 650, which looks like the H2.
The console also looks just like the Ninja 1000's console (400, 650, and 1000). They are getting some reuse doing that (nothing wrong with that if the parts are good).

·
Registered
64 Posts
This dyno tester guy seems to think there is potential to extract more Hp out of the new 400 engine. Also compares with Ninja 300 dyno result. I dont know (or care) what type of dyno he used.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
This dyno tester guy seems to think there is potential to extract more Hp out of the new 400 engine. Also compares with Ninja 300 dyno result. I dont know (or care) what type of dyno he used.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cECrW8ized8
The video does not enable reading the brand name of the dyno used, but 44 rwhp (which he announces verbally) from a 400 cc bike is very credible. The result is so much higher than the Kawi 300 because the 300 was tuned for entry level riders versus sport riders.

The 400 is actually more mildly tuned than our R3. You can see that when you compare the displacement versus power ratios for each:

The 400 apparently made 44 rwhp on this dyno.

Our R3 has about 320/400 = 0.8 of the displacement of the 400.

0.8 times the 400's power = 0.8 x 44 = 35 rwhp.

But our R3's make about 37 rwhp per reliably calibrated dynos.

So I would agree that once afttermarket parts are available for the 400, it should be able to make more power yet.

Jim G

1 - 20 of 50 Posts