Yamaha R3 Forums banner

Anyone use ridesmart in Texas?

4K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  SpitFire500 
#1 ·
Has anyone used ridesmart.info in Texas for a first time track day?

I'm interested in my first track day training and I'm located in central Texas.

What are my options?

#3 ·
Groups 1 and 2 (both 2A and 2B) have class between each session.

Ridesmart is acceptable. Other than going to Harris Hill, they are your only option in the area to do lots of track days. CSS comes to COTA in August and Nate Kern will probably come to COTA again soon, but other than that, RS is your choice. You will lose time and the track will feel crowded, but they do a decent job. Some of the instructors are so-so.

I've ridden with them quite a bit and will be with them many times this year. So even though I have some criticisms of the way their organization runs I still go back.

#4 ·
Ive been doing trackdays with RS for pass three years and have enjoyed it everytime.. People u meet at the track are what makes it even better for me, most of my buddies now i met thru rs so thats why i enjoy it. Level one is pretty crowded but once u move to 2 and 3 its not bad at all.

#8 ·
COTA is a world class facility. Best track in the states, period. The math adds up, RS really doesn't make much money at COTA but having it on the roster creates excitement so it's a smart move to have.

COTA is a real blast. I'll be there again next weekend. But the other tracks bring a lot to the table as well. And, to be honest, I'm not sure I'd take my R3 to COTA.

#6 · (Edited)
COTA is new and world class. I'm not sure on the business side, but I doubt they make a lot of money doing COTA even charging that price. It just keeps the group excited. They did Barber a few times until COTA opened. The cheaper track days are cheap for a reason haha. They're older tracks and no longer refined like today's newer tracks. Usually lots of repair patches and bumpy. Eagles Canyon even weeps water in certain conditions. Still worth the money though.

No matter what track it is, ride it according to conditions. Change lines, or speed, or whatever, you will have fun.

edit: You can stay at lvl 1 until you're ready.

#10 ·
I did RS at Cresson last year to test out the R3 and they made all bikes under 500cc run in Level 1, so be ready for that. After they realized half of the class was there to get lightweight practice for the CMRA race the following weekend, they said we could skip the classroom portion.

The reason they charge so much for COTA is it costs $35,000 a day to rent the track, if you use your own cornerworkers. If you use their staff, its $50K a day.

#13 ·
That was the rule. Not sure if it's a normal thing, or maybe they just expected a lot of ULW bikes because we were racing there the following weekend.
Jesus how big are the groups there? I did some simple math for chuckwalla once. 3 groups of 30, so 90 riders. $150/ticket, so $13,500. That wouldn't even be enough for half of what COTA is asking lol.
Ridesmart charges $400 per day, per person to ride at COTA.

#15 ·
More important than learning a track is being able to ride a predictable line at a decent pass. I'd rather someone be slow and predictable than fast and riding like an ass when trying to get by. If you can hit 90% of your apexes, carry decent speed through the corners with a solid body position, and ride a predictable line then you're level 2 material. Unless you have a lot of "aggressive" street riding experience you probably will not be a solid level 2 rider after only one track day.

I'd also recommend getting an instructor earlier rather than later. Gives you a better chance to iron out some bad habits early.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.