Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wear a 23 year old Spidi leather jacket with no armor in it and was looking for a shirt with armor to wear under it that breaths well (since I'm in TX) for under $200. After looking I'm leaning towards a knox venture http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/knox-venture-shirtbecause it looks so breathable. I've seen that some people wear a fox racing titan http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/fox-racing-titan-sport-jacket although the titan seems kind of bulky and I found that companies like TMS and Perrini on amazon sell things similar to the fox titan for cheaper. Does anyone else wear armor under a leather shell?

·
Registered
732 Posts
I wear a 23 year old Spidi leather jacket with no armor in it and was looking for a shirt with armor to wear under it that breaths well (since I'm in TX) for under $200. After looking I'm leaning towards a knox venture http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/knox-venture-shirtbecause it looks so breathable. I've seen that some people wear a fox racing titan http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/fox-racing-titan-sport-jacket although the titan seems kind of bulky and I found that companies like TMS and Perrini on amazon sell things similar to the fox titan for cheaper. Does anyone else wear armor under a leather shell?
@TexasRider I have a Dainese Hybrid E1 Armored Shirt Black which is absolutely amazing, robust and super comfortable. However, it just covers the shoulders & arms/elbows as you can see. I pair it with my Icon armored vest which protects my chest and back. I like having separates so you can mix and match, and add or subtract depending on the seasons if you live in a 4-season area like I do in NY. However, this Dainese armor might be a tall order getting underneath a fitted leather jacket. It is a killer deal though at a closeout price since it is perplexingly cancelled without a comparable replacement by Dainese. I am contemplating getting a second one so I have a backup.

Dainese Hybrid E1 Armored Shirt Black on sale at STG for $131

Anyway, I love Alipinestars, Icon, and Dainese gear and armor, and RS Taichi gear, but their armor is harder to come by here in the States. My suggestion would be is to get some Dainese or RS Taichi elbow guards which you could probably slip on before you put on your jacket, and maybe a back-protector.

Here are some nice Dainese armor pieces. Elbow guards and back protector respectively, which you can slip on under your jacket and gain extra protection. Again, I'd look at Icon, Astars, and RS Taichi too. There are other brands too, but that is what I have experience with. I try to keep it to a few brands otherwise you'll go crazy comparison shopping. It'd be nice if you had a shop nearby though to try stuff on. You can never tell about the fit or size from pics especially with armor.

Let us know how you fare. I am curious about what you decide upon so I can learn from your lessons. I usually just wear mesh and textile though now.

Just my 2 cents.;) BTW, TEXAS SUCKS! :) I kid, I kid. I have family in Austin. I am a Yankee to the bone though. Lived in Oklahoma for 3 years while in the Army from 2000-2004 and was like Army, please send me to Iraq or Afghanistan! Oklahoma has a Texas inferiority complex.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is there a reason to not look for a new to you jacket? I have gotten some pretty good deals on eBay for used, but newer, jackets with modern armor and venting.
I actually just bought a fieldsheer shadow new that was on closeout for $106 shipped. It will be here Wednesday. I think it will be a good commuter jacket. which is what I use my bike for. They didn't have high viz in my size though :crying: so I got grey and white

I also picked up knox defender shirt I used to wear under my leather jacket until I bought a YZ250. I now use the armored knox shirt when I ride the YZ at the track

1 - 6 of 6 Posts