Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been kicking around the idea to buy a YSS shock out of Thailand. Only one spring choice available tuned to "Asian Rider Weight". Does anyone know what is the range of Asian rider weight? A non-returnable item considering postage costs.

·
Registered
732 Posts
YSS certainly is decent. What's weird is that it is an American company, I am 90% sure, but the R3 shock is only available in Thailand-I presume some or all of their manufacturing is there for YSS. JRI, Penske, RaceTech, etc are the premier racing shock names, with Ohlins up there as well only Ohlins does a lot of OEM shocks too for different manufacturers, so I would say Ohlins are a tier down even though I've only had Ohlins or Progressive shocks on my bikes. Anyway, my point is if I didn't have an Ohlins, I would certainly consider the YSS as a good value shock over the expensive alternatives and superior to the stock one, even though the stock ride certainly is adequate. I am not sure of this setting!

Really? "Asian Rider Weight?" You can certainly buy it, and get it gutted by a professional to get it customized to your needs. @Kojiiro is a a Navy dude stationed in Japan-I know he respects YSS IIRC, and maybe he has seen it over there in Japan and can give some insight. @pattonme is a suspension guru and maybe he can shed some light too especially about modifying it. Also, I believe webike.japan.com which is a huge Japanese motorcycle part reseller, which I have bought a lot of hard to get Asian market parts for my R3, carries the YSS and other shocks. Perhaps you can email them about the shock. Are you ordering from BikerBitz? I believe they have the R3 YSS rear shock and ship to US. Maybe you can find an Ohlins YA476 rear shock on Ebay? Just some ideas broham. Good luck.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes thinking of ordering from bikerz bits but not certain since I am unclear about the customs import chgs to Texas. My weight is 160 lbs so I think I am in range of Asian rider weight but not sure. I do not want to respring the shock. Hyperpro is my second choice.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
I've actually never messed with YSS but yes you see it around. Only brands I have messed with are OEM kayaba, Showa, and aftermarket Elka and Ohlins. I'm not sure if you mean Ohlins for the R3 are a tier below or all Ohlins because that certainly is not the case. There are Ohlins parts out there that can cost several times more than an R3 lol.

·
Registered
732 Posts
I've actually never messed with YSS but yes you see it around. Only brands I have messed with are OEM kayaba, Showa, and aftermarket Elka and Ohlins. I'm not sure if you mean Ohlins for the R3 are a tier below or all Ohlins because that certainly is not the case. There are Ohlins parts out there that can cost several times more than an R3 lol.
No, no, you misinderstood me. I've said that Ohlins is THE premier brand for shocks akin to Brembo for brakes. However, people have countered with "JRI or Penske, or Brand-X is better than Ohlins. So instead now, I say Ohlins is a top brand-they do OEM stuff for bike companies, specialized stuff, etc so is a mass producer as opposed to a more specialized boutique suspension shop like Race Tech or Traxxion, for example. So its not really tiers. I coukd expound more but I think you get my point. Or not.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I have Ohlins, Nitron, and YSS shocks on my bikes (plus some oem and lesser known shocks). The basic model name socks were all better than oem shocks.

I think for the price point we are spending for aftermarket shocks, I would say they are in similar performance neighborhoods. When you start spending really big bucks for suspension components, then there are differences between brands. That said, I would like to know what is the piston design of the < $600 Ohlins shock. That is a great price for a name shock... so I have to wonder what corner is shaved.

What I would be interested in is the first shock rebuild post by someone who did the work on the aftermarket shocks. The piston design of the shock is the key for best performance. Having adjustability is one factor, but having a tunable piston design would be huge. RT has 40mm GV piston options that allow you to put a tailorable low AND high speed compression and rebound shimstack in the shock! I believe there are some shocks out there that with a RT GV piston that would outperform or equal all the aftermarket R3 shocks... that would cost less to buy and modify.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
No, no, you misinderstood me. I've said that Ohlins is THE premier brand for shocks akin to Brembo for brakes. However, people have countered with "JRI or Penske, or Brand-X is better than Ohlins. So instead now, I say Ohlins is a top brand-they do OEM stuff for bike companies, specialized stuff, etc so is a mass producer as opposed to a more specialized boutique suspension shop like Race Tech or Traxxion, for example. So its not really tiers. I coukd expound more but I think you get my point. Or not.
I strongly disagree with that. Ohlins is certainly bigger and they certainly make suspensions as OEM's on some bikes, but the reason they got to that is because they were so good. There is a reason why everybody except 1 team in GP uses Ohlins, and majority of the WSBK field uses Ohlins as well. They are THE #1 in the industry. Racetech should not even be mentioned in the same sentence as Ohlins. Racetech is the go-to option for people who can't afford Ohlins or some of the other brands (or simply don't want to spend that sort of money on it). But the performance and quality is nowhere near that level. Ask any experienced motorcycle suspension tuner or any pro racing team. JRi, I'm not sure on. I don't know enough about them other than the majority of the shocks they make are not for motorcycles. They're more specialized in the car world, and that's probably why they also don't have any forks or fork cartridges for any bikes that I've seen.

The big names in motorcycle suspension are pretty much Ohlins, K-tech, Showa, Penske (although I think they also have only shocks because they're also more specialized on cars), JRi, and Nitron is sort of an up-and-coming one I've heard good things about. Then there are some of the european ones that just don't have as big a footprint here in the US but they make quality stuff, like Mupo, WP, KBB, Andreani. Companies like Racetech and Traxxion are a tier down from that. They don't really make any full suspensions, they just make parts to modify existing suspensions from other brands. Things like valve kits, like the Racetech gold valves, various cartridges and things of that nature. Those are the more budget-friendly upgrades for when you don't want to or can't afford to go all out on it. I have Racetech gold valves in my CBR500 forks and it's definitely a good addition....but they shouldn't be compared with the likes of Ohlins. That stuff will never perform as well as a complete suspension assembly made by Ohlins or K-tech for example. And those guys from Racetech or Traxxion know that. Their business model is to offer 90-95% of the performance for 50% of the cost....which is totally fine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts