Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
909 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone added, or have an opinion on any particular brand for auxiliary lighting?
How difficult was the install? Especially the wiring? And what circuit did you tap?
Thanks

·
Registered
166 Posts
I swapped my OEM mirrors with Convex mirror integrated with running lights and turn signals. Way better than the old mirrors. No more chicken wing.

I used TST wiring harness so I didn't have to splice in to the OEM wiring. It just hooks up to the existing turn signal. You can also purchase the splitter so you can keep the existing turn signal as well.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I run two small Rigid LED spots mounted on the side of the headlight and also one 7" LED bar mounted under the headlight. The Rigid spots are very small something like 35mm width, but very bright. You can barely see the Rigid LEDs in this foto, the left one is visible slightly above the headlight in front of the fork tube. The spots are DRL and wired to the lo beam wiring harness so always on. The 7" LED has a separate switch on the left handlebar. I just leave them both on all the time. Plenty of light. I will try to take a few night photos for you and post later. I tried a LED headlight bulb but it did not function well with the wiring harness. The hi beam indicator on the dash had glitches with the LED bulb. So I would live the OEM headlight bulb in place.

·
Registered
166 Posts
@sLing was there a hole under the mirror mount for the wires to go through? How bright are those LEDs in the turn signal?
No hole under fairings. I routed the wire around the fairing. The LEDs are very bright.. I'm thinking of switching it from turning on with running lights to the high beams instead.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I swapped my OEM mirrors with Convex mirror integrated with running lights and turn signals. Way better than the old mirrors. No more chicken wing.

I used TST wiring harness so I didn't have to splice in to the OEM wiring. It just hooks up to the existing turn signal. You can also purchase the splitter so you can keep the existing turn signal as well.

Those look nice but that is a chunk of change for mirrors and lights.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Wiring wise, I would tap off the headlight connector if you want the bulb to only power on when the engine is running or the pilot light (the little bulb right under the windscreen) if you want the light to come on once the key is turned to the on position. I would personally recommend going with the headlight wiring option as the lighting circuit is better designed to handle current draw. The pilot light option draws directly from the battery and the fuse in this circuit is already supporting the signal lights, the tail light and the plate light on top of the pilot light. I'm not sure of its total current draw, but it would mean you will want to look for lower powered LED's as per the ones Jesse bought. If you're looking at a lightbar, I would advise wiring it to the headlight connector. Just my 2 cents.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts