Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy all!

I'll say it. I've got, at best, average size hands. I wear a large in my regular and bad weather Joe Rocket gloves and they both are on the right side of snug for leather.

After being back on a sport bike for a few months I've gotten my "sea legs" back and I'm picking up the pace quite a bit. I'm not super aggressive and I stay well within my ability at my age, but I've been trying to blip on the downshift on some curvy back roads. I can heal/toe a car with the best of them, so I don't feel like it's a timing thing, so much as it's being able to twist some throttle and have enough finger length left to activate the lever.

I initially tried keeping my first two fingers on the brake, but I can barely get enough pressure on the throttle with my thumb and ring finger to blip the gas. Of late I switched and I'm keeping pointer, thumb and almost pinky on the gas and the middle and ring fingers on the lever. This allows me better control of the gas with the webbing of my hand, but less control on the brake.

I have rolled both the levers forward just a bit so I don't have to pick my hands up to get to them. This has worked great for the clutch, but I'm obviously thinking about rolling the brake back some. In my mind this seems like it will move the lever closer, but also further up.

I've never put "shorty" levers on a bike or adjusted a stock lever in either direction. Would either of these ideas help me out, or am I missing something else obvious?

Thanks for any help ahead of time!

Giff

·
Super Moderator
1,562 Posts
I've done two things to improve my grip, reach and downshifting "blip ability"
I put in adjustable levers which has helped some, now that the reach is reduced
I also have the R6 throttle tube coming today or Monday which will reduce the amount of twist needed during the blip

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've done two things to improve my grip, reach and downshifting "blip ability"
I put in adjustable levers which has helped some, now that the reach is reduced
I also have the R6 throttle tube coming today or Monday which will reduce the amount of twist needed during the blip

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have you already used the levers? What did you think of them? What kind did you get?

Thanks!

·
Registered
111 Posts
I got these eBay levers and they helped a lot for brake feel. Better leverage on the specific adjustment. But if you also want better braking then get some SS lines ($65 from yamaha R3 racing), Vesrah sintered pads ($60) and Moutl RBF 600 brake fluid ($20). I wear medium Alpinestars gloves. The shorties are not flimsy at all like the Ride It brand. I have Ride It on my Honda Grom and they're cheap levers. These are snug and feel just as nice as the ASV I had on my Ducatu Hypermotard 1100.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261976623564?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,562 Posts
Have you already used the levers? What did you think of them? What kind did you get?

Thanks!
I didn't want to chance the cheaper Chinese brands since some people report a less than perfect fit. I went through Jesse (YamahaR3Racing) and love them. My favorite part is that these brought the friction zone way in... No more having to open my left hand way open before having the clutch grab. The bike controls are much more comfortable now and my left hand no longer fatigues on longer rides like it did with the factory levers.

These things scream quality and they're American made. Always buy American made if you can!!!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It sounds like the after market levers make a big difference for the medium handed.

Do any of you guys have a preference in technique?

·
Registered
113 Posts
I hold the throttle with my middle and ring finger and blip with my thumb. Not really sure how else to do it hah.

I have Spears racing fully adjustable levers. I have about a 5in. vector reach between brake lever and thumb on the throttle.

Heel n Toe'ing in my car is the only reason why I was able to perform the equivalent on a motorcycle lol. It's actually impressive considering you're using every control on the bike. **brownie points for everyone** :D

·
Registered
255 Posts
I actually just got back from a long ride and had your question in mind so I paid attention to how I do it. For hand size reference I wear a size L in A*, which are bit long in the fingers but perfect in the palm. I usually brake with my forefinger, middle finger, and sometimes ring fingers; when I blip the pressure on the grip comes partly from my thumb, but mostly from the webbing between the thumb and palm, and the pad beneath my first finger.

...I went through Jesse (YamahaR3Racing) and love them...The bike controls are much more comfortable now...
+1 for Jesse's levers. For me, the shape allows my fingers to slide easily over the lever as I blip the throttle to downshift. Also, being able to adjust how far in/out they are is a big part of being comfortable on the brakes.

Also, the R6 throttle tube does help with blipping as you don't have to twist it as much. Jesse also carries these, btw :)

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I actually just got back from a long ride and had your question in mind so I paid attention to how I do it. For hand size reference I wear a size L in A*, which are bit long in the fingers but perfect in the palm. I usually brake with my forefinger, middle finger, and sometimes ring fingers; when I blip the pressure on the grip comes partly from my thumb, but mostly from the webbing between the thumb and palm, and the pad beneath my first finger.

+1 for Jesse's levers. For me, the shape allows my fingers to slide easily over the lever as I blip the throttle to downshift. Also, being able to adjust how far in/out they are is a big part of being comfortable on the brakes.

Also, the R6 throttle tube does help with blipping as you don't have to twist it as much. Jesse also carries these, btw :)
Thanks for the great explanation. I was messing around on a ride today with similar hand positioning and I could almost get it to work. I think I'm going to have to get out the credit card soon and send some business towards Jesse.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts