Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here are some of the images from the forum and facebook group ride in Azuza today.

Let me start by saying I never thought I would see that many R3's in one place in my life. Just wow on the turnout, cool to see all the different bikes and mods. The new white and red really looks much better in person than in the photos.

It was good fun but some of the experienced guys really let down the newer riders. Did not give enough education before the ride. We had two R3s go down. One guy with serious injuries and a broken hand and foot. The bikes both have a few hundred dollars in repairs. I hope this does not discourage people from partaking in the future. Crashes are going to happen. Its like getting bucked off a horse, just keep on trucking. Guys really came together to try and repair and patch up the busted bikes. I would give everyone an A+ on protective gear. It was very fortunate the guy that went down harder had premium protection and boots on. Sorry to everyone that had near misses and were pressured from behind. We did not give you enough information. The place some of us ate there at the end was nothing short of incredible. We had 19 turn out and 15 R3's. Good stuff guys. Another event in 3 weeks or so stay tuned. I feel bad I pushed a few of you off the road when I was pressuring you from behind, I was looking to pass but some guys thought they needed to go faster. That was my fault. I lost some titanium off my boots sliders today so the feet were touching the ground.

One final note. TIRES. Guys you have to get rid of those stock tires. I know they are expensive and don't do much in the looks department but the feedback we are getting from the road is essential. Its not just handling but additional safety. The stock tires are just plain awful. You can never accelerate hard at any angle without feeling them slipping. I remember them, I will never forget them. They feel like tires that sat for 20 years in the sun and turned to plastic.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yep definitely a fun ride today guys and yes tires are going to be a very big thing for these bikes they make a huge difference in handling capabilities as well as traction for your bike.
Canyons are unforgiving sometimes and it's just unfortunate that we had a few go down. Next time like we said before we go off and start the ride to the canyons we should always start off with a talk about which canyon we are going difficultly and as well as that the most important thing of every ride.

Ride at your own pace!!!!

All in all it was nice to meet a lot of other riders out there today and new people. Will be posting videos and all the fun stuff soon but all in all fun stuff today.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
One final note. TIRES. Guys you have to get rid of those stock tires. Its not just handling but additional safety. The stock tires are just plain awful. You can never accelerate hard at any angle without feeling them slipping. They feel like tires that sat for 20 years in the sun and turned to plastic.
:laugh:
YUP.... I agree! You can't trust them as far as you can throw them.
They gave me a scare ONCE, and that's all I needed to know. I'll be replacing mine sometime in the near future.
Until then... I have to be extra careful not to get too aggressive in the corners.

·
Registered
143 Posts
The new white and red really looks much better in person than in the photos.[/url]
I didn't even look at the red and white 2016 when I bought my 2016 in blue because I didn't like the photos or like the 15, and my previous Yamaha was matte grey so I didn't want that. I saw a white and red 2016 in person after. I now cry myself to sleep at night:crying:

·
Registered
254 Posts
GMR R3 Taco Run

I agree for a safety meeting before the ride and for us all to ride to our abilities. Newer riders shouldn't feel pressure too go faster then they feel comfortable with. I myself enjoyed everyone good spirits and helpfulness with the riders that went down. The food at the end of the ride was Incredible those fish tacos and peppers still thinking how good they were. Really nice area to ride and the view was incredible way up there. Stock tires limit the bikes performance thats agreed upon here I hope. The pilots for a commuter are ok. If you go down and smash you self and your bike or someone or something due to the Pilot rear tire on the hard turns thats not a good thing.
I can't post anymore photos over my limit I give up. No fun

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Sounds like your experienced riders weren't so experienced after all. Any half decent group organizer would always get s feel of the entire groups ride composition and discuss safety. We have told people to go home on some of our rides. Still some insist. Sorry for the two that went down. Hopefully they recover soon.

·
Registered
175 Posts
One final note. TIRES. Guys you have to get rid of those stock tires. I know they are expensive and don't do much in the looks department but the feedback we are getting from the road is essential. Its not just handling but additional safety. The stock tires are just plain awful. You can never accelerate hard at any angle without feeling them slipping. I remember them, I will never forget them. They feel like tires that sat for 20 years in the sun and turned to plastic.
Ride at your own pace!!!!
:laugh:
YUP.... I agree! You can't trust them as far as you can throw them.
They gave me a scare ONCE, and that's all I needed to know. I'll be replacing mine sometime in the near future.
Until then... I have to be extra careful not to get too aggressive in the corners.
Stock tires limit the bikes performance thats agreed upon here I hope. The pilots for a commuter are ok. If you go down and smash you self and your bike or someone or something due to the Pilot rear tire on the hard turns thats not a good thing.
In recent weeks I had the rear stock pilot roll on me a couple of times. Wasn't even going hard, left turn at a green arrow. I quickly lost faith in them. Got these Bstone S20's mounted up on Thursday just for this ride. So glad I did. Like night and day. As I posted on Facebook and spoke with few in the group...Highly recommended if you have the cash, even if your stockies still have full tread.

On the subject of communication....saw some Sena's out there. A few 10C's and at least one 20S other than mine. Need to get these daisy chained next time, from lead to rear. Guys, we've spent some $250-$300 each and they were worthless for phone cuz there was no cell service up there. Let's put them to use.

It was a great meet, it was a great ride, and yes great food too! Thanks to all.

Attachments

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
The two crashes were at predicted locations. Too fast into tight corners and washing out the front tire in the dirt. Nothing they had been told in advance likely would have helped. By that time everyone had split into skill levels and were riding in similar packs. Turnout was massive and it was difficult not knowing who was who. The meeting point was ok but not for the large group we had, we were filling up the gas stations parking and needed a better staging area.

Everything was on track then one guy popped up and put on his helmet, after hollering lets go? and everyone just went off like popcorn popping.
https://youtu.be/mLyOj_QD4a4?t=1m20s

I hope to eat at that restaurant again. That was flawless riding food. I love fish tacos and those were some of the best I have had. Lol at Nic for getting 6 of them.

I ride some of my local canyons regularly and I used muscles I never do. Tired muscles today.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Bahahhahahaha that takes me back to my WOW days. Leroy Jenkins was mos def there yesterday. It was a fun day overall. Nice meeting everyone... and even nicer that no one copied my yellow and black R3. Haha. Until next time dudes.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts