Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I've got a question. I am searching for R3 tankpads not for the sides but for the front of the tank, because when I tour with my backpack on it will scratch my tank when I lean over it. Are there any tankpads for the R3 to place at the front side of the tank ?

Do R1 or R6 tankpads fit aswell ? I live in the Netherlands so shipping from the US is not an option though :(

Anyone got any photo's of their tankpads ? Maybe someone can inspire me :)

Thanks for your time!

·
Premium Member
1,562 Posts
I've found a few sites that claim the pads fit the R3 and from looking at them, it's obvious that they don't. The R3 center strip is pretty narrow so most other pads will need to be cut and trimmed to fit.
I've been tempted to take my tank cover apart and just wrap the center section with a nice vinyl wrap.
May just become a winter project for me during the months when I can't ride.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Also, you should get a backpack designed with motorcycle riding in mind-not just for the internal layout, but for the exterior design, where small details like straps, belts, buckles, etc designed to avoid tank scratches and so on.

Ogio has some really nice backpacks like the Mach series. They don't have tons of straps so there's no irritating bunches of loose straps flapping in the wind, and has inner shoes compartments as the designers know riders often use riding boots, but may need shoes for work, etc. I have tons of backpacks, and certainly didn't need another, but when you get one designed for motorcycles and touring rides, for example, the little details make a huge difference. I am a big fan of Icon and Alpinestars stuff. Icon has some nice backpacks too and their shoulder straps lead into a front vest like closure system in lieu of a belt, which can be a nuisance while riding or as you know, wreak havoc on your gas tank. The Icon tanks also come in High Viz colors with reflective strips which is a nice safety feature. RS Taichi, another favorite gear brand of mine, has a nice waterproof backpack with tons of room.

The fun part is searching for the backpack and finding one for your needs. I've spent hours looking at gloves, boots, jackets, protection armor, etc. Did the same thing for my motorcycle backpack. I had to sit there and look at specs, consider the pros and cons, etc. Took me hours to finally decide on one. There are a ton of awesome backpacks predicated for motorcycle riding. Hey, it's a legitimate excuse to shop! Trust me, you'll be psyched you got one.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Personally, I can't get worked up over some scratches on a cosmetic plastic part. It's not like the thing is going to rust or anything. Unless you wanted a puffy sticker anyway because you think they look cool, I wouldn't bother with it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hello,

I've got a question. I am searching for R3 tankpads not for the sides but for the front of the tank, because when I tour with my backpack on it will scratch my tank when I lean over it
Had the same problem, upgraded to a better backpack.
Icon Squad 3 / has butterfly "V" straps. so no lower waist strap to destroy the tank. this bag is good for smaller, to work etc trips. has velcro id holders etc. can actually fit a very decent amount of stuff in it. very functional for closer trips.

Icon Squad 2 Mil Spec
looks larger, but haven't tried it.

I did toss a pro grip pad on the tank. I'm not a fan of them, and will prob take it back off.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts