Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am debating whether to get the Ogio Mach 3 or Kriega R20 backpack. Does anyone have either of these? If so what are your pros and cons. I like how the ogio has one strap that comes off so it goes on easy (can be a bi*ch with an armoured jacket to put bags on/take off), but the kriega seems like it will distribute weight better (chest/mid section rather than shoulders).
Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,562 Posts
I have the Kriega R25 and I absolutely love it. No problems getting it on or off quickly, holds everything I need (laptop, lunch, change of shoes, etc) and the thing just disappears once on the bike. It does a phnominal job of distributing the weight and lives up to the hype.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have the Mach 3, pretty sweet bag for the price. Not much space, but I don't like to carry too much. No drag design makes it feel like it is part of your body and is what I like most about it. I commute 110 miles a day with it when I take the bike to work and hardly notice it.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I have a R20. I love 90% of it except for one thing.. On a bike with an aggressive riding position my helmet catches the top part of the backpack as it sticks up too high. It greatly limits head movement. I have tried two different helmets and have the same problem. I won't buy another one until I hear reports this issue is fixed.

On the R3, though, it's amazing.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a R20. I love 90% of it except for one thing.. On a bike with an aggressive riding position my helmet catches the top part of the backpack as it sticks up too high. It greatly limits head movement. I have tried two different helmets and have the same problem. I won't buy another one until I hear reports this issue is fixed.

Thank you for the heads up with the R20. I will be riding the R3 this season, but come 2018 season I will be getting a super sport. I will keep this in mind.

·
Premium Member
1,562 Posts

Interesting and great feedback... I haven't noticed any restrictions in movement at all with my R25 but like you say, the R3 is not aggressive so maybe that's why.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Agreed, I've never had the problem on the R3. But on my S1000RR it's a constant battle. If the R3 is your primary commuter I highly recommend this pack. That's actually what I use it for it commuting, which I do on the R3, and I wear it every time. The integrated water pack, although expensive, works super well and actually keeps water cool for a while as well as fitting into the pack perfectly.

·
Premium Member
1,391 Posts
Personally, I don't have either. I just use a regular back pack (although it happens to be an Ogio one), and it works just fine for carrying a bunch of stuff. Take it with a grain of salt though - I don't right very far as you know. However, I think given the cost of these things, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to spend that on a motorcycle specific one.

·
Premium Member
1,562 Posts
Personally, I don't have either. I just use a regular back pack (although it happens to be an Ogio one), and it works just fine for carrying a bunch of stuff. Take it with a grain of salt though - I don't right very far as you know. However, I think given the cost of these things, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to spend that on a motorcycle specific one.
I thought the exact same thing and tried commuting for a few months with a regular backpack before finally giving in and dropping serious change on the Kriega. A regular pack "worked" but my commute is 50 miles each way and I needed to carry a heavy 17" laptop, change of shoes, lunch and other crap as well. I can also wear my jacket liner in the AM and then put it in my pack on the warmer afternoon rides home. When the pack is full, it sits just right on my back and like magic, makes the weight disappear. When it's not full, it sits flat on my back like it's not there at all.
Where it differs from a regular pack is that, when it's full with heavy stuff inside, it refuses to shift.

I was none to happy spending that kind of money on a backpack but now that I've ridden with it, I would not hesitate to buy it again. It's that good.

·
Registered
732 Posts
I thought the exact same thing and tried commuting for a few months with a regular backpack before finally giving in and dropping serious change on the Kriega. A regular pack "worked" but my commute is 50 miles each way and I needed to carry a heavy 17" laptop, change of shoes, lunch and other crap as well. I can also wear my jacket liner in the AM and then put it in my pack on the warmer afternoon rides home. When the pack is full, it sits just right on my back and like magic, makes the weight disappear. When it's not full, it sits flat on my back like it's not there at all.
Where it differs from a regular pack is that, when it's full with heavy stuff inside, it refuses to shift.

I was none to happy spending that kind of money on a backpack but now that I've ridden with it, I would not hesitate to buy it again. It's that good.
Glad you like your Kriega R25 Aeson. Nice feedback. That is a crazy commute Aeson! I read about some nut in Cali who wants to live in the Sierra Nevada's but works at Cisco, and commutes 4 hours each way in his Hummer. Dumbass. For work, I have the subway from Brooklyn to Manhattan. I totally zone out and nap on the subway. However, for school at night, I have to drive 22 miles each way. Half is stop and go Brooklyn traffic which means delivery trucks, cabs, and moronic drivers. The other half is parkway, but parkway primarily in Brooklyn and Queens which is a nightmare during rush hour. Doesn't have to be though which kills me. The traffic is from left lane slow drivers, slow mergers, rubberneckers, etc. Drives me insane. I'm a closet Road Rager.

Anyway, here are my 2 cents. Besides being a techie/gamer/gadget/system builder/modder freak, watch lover, and motorcycle fanatic, apparently I am a backpack weirdo collector. I have too many of them and love backpacks. Even thought about designing them since I have never found the Holy Grail backpack. The closest who has ever come were Dana Designs. Their packs were amazing. Near perfect. I still have two. One was never returned to me. Unfortunately Marmot bought them up, but never released anything close to the Dana Design style. I guess they just absorbed the staff and bought out a competitor, which sucks. However, the original owners made a new company, Mystery Ranch backpacks, which make Kriega and Oakley backpack prices seem pedestrian.

That brings me to an aside. I like Oakley backpacks, but their heavy hardware, which is durable, is also heavy, and Oakley does not design any packs with the motorcycle rider in mind. Mystery Ranch packs are amazing, but same thing goes for them-no real motorcycle rider centric packs. Great for hiking, camping, school, etc.

Anyway, I recently got the R25. I was looking at the R35 and R30, but the overdone front harnesses turned me off, and I did not like the layout of the R30. The R25 had the most conventional layout to me. I also like all the accessories available by Kriega. However, like Aeson, I was taken aback by the price. Also, once you get say armor, a US-5 or US-10 add-on pack, water proof bags, etc, it becomes even pricier. So far I added the US-5 which is hooked to my R25, and the Kube-1 shoulder strap accessory pocket. Those cost like $75 and $25 respectively, so it adds up quick. I really love my Kriega, but truthfully I was expecting a little more. I was expecting some dividers on the inside, and water bottle or storage pockets on the side. However, it is still a very good pack, and great for riding. Like Aeson said, the weight distribution is fantastic.

Another close competitor, that I also bought, and could even trump the Kriega R25 is the Alpinestars Orbit 35 backpack, which costs $199. I have both, and I'd say they tie, but one could be better depending on the person. The Astars Orbit 35 has side storage pockets, a removable laptop and tablet sleeve, a stowable helmet net holder, and the main compartment has a waterproof roll up and buckle closure as opposed to a main zipper. It also has the center flap pocket like on the R25. However, the straps and construction are not as robust as on the Kriega, and there are not as many accessories, however, I have transferred some of my Kriega accessories to it like the US-5 bag. What is really cool is that it is "dynamically" expanding. I think the base size is 25 L, but you unzip around the perimeter of the pack, and it expands like an accordian to 35 liters-hence the model number, 35. So there are pro's and con's to each. If I had I mind pick the Orbit over the R25, but just as long as I could add on the Kriega accessories. It definitely does not distribute as well though, and again, it is not as heavy duty. I highly recommend the Orbit though. Amazing pack. I bought it on faith though as Alpinestars, and subsequently RevZ did not post many pics of the features on their site. You'd think Alpinestars would as the maker and seller of it, but they just had the basic pic of it and that's all, which is irritating.

Here is the link to it on Revzilla. https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/alpinestars-orbit-backpack

RevZ review of the Alpinestars Orbit 35

I also considered the Ogio Mach 5, but saw a lot of complaints about the size, which is something I could not have. I usually bring it to work, and use it for school and riding. So I needed a motorcycle and tank friendly pack with as many bells and whistles as possible. On any given day, I probably have a personal planner, notebooks, textbooks, laptop, tablet, chargers, cables, pens, pencils, calculator, portable surge protector & mouse, extra glasses, extra batteries, external hard drives, usb flash drives, etc. I usually pack backup or lighter riding gloves, among other things. My pack doesn't approach Ranger school wieght, but probably around 30 pounds. So while the Ogio is well made, aesthetic, aerodynamic, and a good all around pack, it is just too small. I have Ogio tank and tail bags, and absolutely love them.

If you are not familiar or ever heard of Dana Designs, that is a shame. It really sucks Marmot bought them, and then basically killed the brand. Mystery Ranch, the revival of it, is very good, but not the same. I'll post pics of one of my DD packs, which I regularly use. I actually hate using it now, and am transitioning to the Kriega and Orbit because they no longer make them. I'll probably just keep using it though. Really hasn't worn down much, and I guess there is no point in keeping it if it is not used, but again, it is literally the closest pack to the elusive "perfect Holy Grail" of backpacks. I would describe it, but that is hard to do, and pictures are far better, but even then it won't do it justice.

Good luck. Help my excessive verbiage helped. Believe me, I was succinct in this reply. :)

·
Registered
732 Posts
Forgot to mention probably the best all around pack out there. It's pricey though, and like Kriega it has awesome accessories to expand and enhance it's usefulness, which is it's strength. Colfax Design's SDP_01 backpack. It has a design to the similar to the Army's MOLLE system-modular lightweight load-carrying equipment. It consists of the main pack with modular pouches. So you can expand or shrink to your needs. Not to mention it is hand made and super high quality (in US), hence the price. But this pack should last a lifetime. Obviously, I am a backpack nut. The Alpinestars Orbit 35 and the Kriega R25 are both super good too. The Colfax is the Ferrarri of the bunch. The base pack is $375 plus ~$50 each for the pouches.

https://colfax-design-works.myshopify.com/collections/all/products/sdp_01-blk

·
Premium Member
1,562 Posts
I'm sure it's really practical but to me, it's not all that nice looking. That's definitely in the 'function over form' category. I want a back pack to at least look good too.
As soon as I a see molle, I'm all over it. LOL

·
Registered
732 Posts
I like that! Heck, I'd order one right now just to try one in person but I'm in spending lockdown.
I'm not dropping any more money on frivolous purchases until I save up a stack of dough to put down in a new bike... well, except maybe the new Sig P-320 X-Five when it's MA Compliant anyway.
Yeah me too-been on lockdown. Trying to anywaybut still somehow managed to do a lot of click, click, "Submit Order." I actually just added the Kriega R25 to my collection and got the US-10 expansion pouch, Kube-1 pouch attachment, and medium waterproof bag for a pricey total. That doesn't jnclude the water bladder, or armor that you can add. Kriega has the most diverse types if accessories.

I'm sure it's really practical but to me, it's not all that nice looking. That's definitely in the 'function over form' category. I want a back pack to at least look good too.
I think it looks amazing. Boxy but still aesthetic. All if the straps and hardware are heavy duty and not flimsy unlike a lot of the mass produced garbage out there. Also, it doesn't have a huge obnoxious and ugly brand or logo strewn across it, which is a plus in my book. I like brands for their quality not an advertisement, you know? Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I wonder what the OP got? Hasnt chimed in about it.

·
Premium Member
1,391 Posts
I think it looks amazing. Boxy but still aesthetic. All if the straps and hardware are heavy duty and not flimsy unlike a lot of the mass produced garbage out there. Also, it doesn't have a huge obnoxious and ugly brand or logo strewn across it, which is a plus in my book. I like brands for their quality not an advertisement, you know? Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I wonder what the OP got? Hasnt chimed in about it.
Totally agreed. Some people liked the Pontiac Aztek too ;)

Kidding - I get that some people like and appreciate a minimalist / practical item and that's cool. 'To each his own' as they say.

Personally, I like the big logo so, I guess you know my priorities! >:D :D

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I hear what you are saying. I have been wearing a normal backpack since I have started to ride. My main complaints are (with 2 I have used) are
1. The backpacks seem long. They are either sitting on the rear seat, or being pushed into the back of my helmet.
2. Straps need to be made extremely short in order for backpack not to touch rear seat. This makes it extremely difficult to put the backpack on and take it off.
I see backpacks being an investment if you are commuting 100km 5 days a week for work. I love that each of these backpacks take pressure off your shoulders and allows you to put on/take off with armored jacket.
PS - riding season is coming soon, lets get out lots this year! We are 5 mins from each other.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Glad you like your Kriega R25 Aeson. Nice feedback. That is a crazy commute Aeson! I read about some nut in Cali who wants to live in the Sierra Nevada's but works at Cisco, and commutes 4 hours each way in his Hummer. Dumbass. For work, I have the subway from Brooklyn to Manhattan. I totally zone out and nap on the subway. However, for school at night, I have to drive 22 miles each way. Half is stop and go Brooklyn traffic which means delivery trucks, cabs, and moronic drivers. The other half is parkway, but parkway primarily in Brooklyn and Queens which is a nightmare during rush hour. Doesn't have to be though which kills me. The traffic is from left lane slow drivers, slow mergers, rubberneckers, etc. Drives me insane. I'm a closet Road Rager.

Anyway, here are my 2 cents. Besides being a techie/gamer/gadget/system builder/modder freak, watch lover, and motorcycle fanatic, apparently I am a backpack weirdo collector. I have too many of them and love backpacks. Even thought about designing them since I have never found the Holy Grail backpack. The closest who has ever come were Dana Designs. Their packs were amazing. Near perfect. I still have two. One was never returned to me. Unfortunately Marmot bought them up, but never released anything close to the Dana Design style. I guess they just absorbed the staff and bought out a competitor, which sucks. However, the original owners made a new company, Mystery Ranch backpacks, which make Kriega and Oakley backpack prices seem pedestrian.

That brings me to an aside. I like Oakley backpacks, but their heavy hardware, which is durable, is also heavy, and Oakley does not design any packs with the motorcycle rider in mind. Mystery Ranch packs are amazing, but same thing goes for them-no real motorcycle rider centric packs. Great for hiking, camping, school, etc.

Anyway, I recently got the R25. I was looking at the R35 and R30, but the overdone front harnesses turned me off, and I did not like the layout of the R30. The R25 had the most conventional layout to me. I also like all the accessories available by Kriega. However, like Aeson, I was taken aback by the price. Also, once you get say armor, a US-5 or US-10 add-on pack, water proof bags, etc, it becomes even pricier. So far I added the US-5 which is hooked to my R25, and the Kube-1 shoulder strap accessory pocket. Those cost like $75 and $25 respectively, so it adds up quick. I really love my Kriega, but truthfully I was expecting a little more. I was expecting some dividers on the inside, and water bottle or storage pockets on the side. However, it is still a very good pack, and great for riding. Like Aeson said, the weight distribution is fantastic.

Another close competitor, that I also bought, and could even trump the Kriega R25 is the Alpinestars Orbit 35 backpack, which costs $199. I have both, and I'd say they tie, but one could be better depending on the person. The Astars Orbit 35 has side storage pockets, a removable laptop and tablet sleeve, a stowable helmet net holder, and the main compartment has a waterproof roll up and buckle closure as opposed to a main zipper. It also has the center flap pocket like on the R25. However, the straps and construction are not as robust as on the Kriega, and there are not as many accessories, however, I have transferred some of my Kriega accessories to it like the US-5 bag. What is really cool is that it is "dynamically" expanding. I think the base size is 25 L, but you unzip around the perimeter of the pack, and it expands like an accordian to 35 liters-hence the model number, 35. So there are pro's and con's to each. If I had I mind pick the Orbit over the R25, but just as long as I could add on the Kriega accessories. It definitely does not distribute as well though, and again, it is not as heavy duty. I highly recommend the Orbit though. Amazing pack. I bought it on faith though as Alpinestars, and subsequently RevZ did not post many pics of the features on their site. You'd think Alpinestars would as the maker and seller of it, but they just had the basic pic of it and that's all, which is irritating.

Here is the link to it on Revzilla. https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/alpinestars-orbit-backpack

RevZ review of the Alpinestars Orbit 35

I also considered the Ogio Mach 5, but saw a lot of complaints about the size, which is something I could not have. I usually bring it to work, and use it for school and riding. So I needed a motorcycle and tank friendly pack with as many bells and whistles as possible. On any given day, I probably have a personal planner, notebooks, textbooks, laptop, tablet, chargers, cables, pens, pencils, calculator, portable surge protector & mouse, extra glasses, extra batteries, external hard drives, usb flash drives, etc. I usually pack backup or lighter riding gloves, among other things. My pack doesn't approach Ranger school wieght, but probably around 30 pounds. So while the Ogio is well made, aesthetic, aerodynamic, and a good all around pack, it is just too small. I have Ogio tank and tail bags, and absolutely love them.

If you are not familiar or ever heard of Dana Designs, that is a shame. It really sucks Marmot bought them, and then basically killed the brand. Mystery Ranch, the revival of it, is very good, but not the same. I'll post pics of one of my DD packs, which I regularly use. I actually hate using it now, and am transitioning to the Kriega and Orbit because they no longer make them. I'll probably just keep using it though. Really hasn't worn down much, and I guess there is no point in keeping it if it is not used, but again, it is literally the closest pack to the elusive "perfect Holy Grail" of backpacks. I would describe it, but that is hard to do, and pictures are far better, but even then it won't do it justice.

Good luck. Help my excessive verbiage helped. Believe me, I was succinct in this reply. :)
Thank you! This is come really useful information

·
Registered
141 Posts
Just used my Kriega R20 for the first time in a 30 minute ride and it was fantastic! Even felt amazing with all these stuffed inside it:

• 3.5lb Apple 13" MacBook Pro
• Pair of Jeans
• 2 Shirts, Socks
• Electric Toothbrush
• Mini Toolkit
• Chargers, Computer accessories, mouse
• Misc Small Items in the front pouch.

Kriega has made the act of putting it on fast and simple, so much easier compared to other packs that the Quad-Lok Lite is my favorite feature. My arms are free to move around and the weight distribution is excellent, no shoulder fatigue at all. Padding on the shoulder straps are one of the best I've ever used since most packs neglect to add sufficient support and padding in that area.

The R20 was able to feel nice on top of my Alpinestars leather jacket which has a speed hump on the back. With other backpacks I've used I've had to max out the straps just to get it over the hump and it always felt too tight around my arms. With the Kriega the pack felt so comfortable that at times I forgot it was there.

I also purchased the Kube Pocket that goes on the front left part of the strap and it's well made but I need to adjust it so it falls "lower" on the left side. When I had to look left, the bottom part of my helmet would "catch" the top part of the Kube and that didn't feel so nice.

When it rains, I'll see how much resistant it is to water but I also keep spare plastic zip bags in the pack for when the weather isn't so pleasant.

So far, this is an amazing motorcycle backpack made for riders and I was a bit hesitant because the asking price was a bit high for such a small capacity backpack. The quality of the materials, zippers, strapping system and feel has made me not regret purchasing this pack. Besides the Kube Pocket (which I'll tinker with before my next ride) the only thing I wish this had in comparison to the Ogio No Drag is they should have offered different colors instead of just black. Ogio sells a white and yellow Hi-Viz version of the Mach 3 I think.

If you have any other questions, let me know and I'll give you my honest feedback.

·
Registered
330 Posts
FWIW, I have ridden quite a few hours in the rain with mine and haven't had a single drop get in. There is, however, that waterproof pouch to be extra sure.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts