Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody,
So I bought a new R3 a couple months ago (October) and have since put 1500 miles on it. This is my 2nd bike, but also took a 2 year break in between bikes, so I did stall a couple times when I first got the bike. The first time I noticed something was wrong was I had just stalled after getting off the interstate, and the battery had died. I later took the bike for it's 600 mile service at the dealership, and they checked everything out and said it was good. The battery will now die periodically with no stalling and nothing after-market on the electrical side - once it died after a lunch break after a 2 hour ride in the canyons. I'm taking the bike to the dealership to get the battery checked out (oh, and when I bought the bike, my salesman told me something had happened to the original battery and they were charging me up a replacement, dunno if that means anything), but it's an $85 diagnostic fee that they said yamaha will probably cover if they find anything. Should I just cut my losses and buy a new aftermarket battery? What are peoples thoughts? I'm dropping the bike off on wednesday

TLDR;
battery won't hold a charge, dunno why, dealership wants $85 for a diagnostic which is maybe refundable, should I just cut my losses and buy a new battery?

·
Registered
218 Posts
Dude i've been fighting the electrical/battery battle since late November. Actually had to write a letter to Yamaha of NA due to 2 shops being extremely incompetent to diagnose my problem, and still do not have my motorcycle in my possession. If your dealership is reputable I would go through them for a warranty claim,should be about a week and they may tell you the diag. is going to be on your dime, but when they find out it's a Yamaha problem you should be in the clear. Though if you need the bike ASAP I would suggest buying an aftermarket battery on your own dime to speed up the process and to avoid the dealership.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Most or all of the R3's were stuck in the Long Beach port strike in early 15 and many of the batteries are deteriorated. Yours on the west coast certainly entered through Long Beach.

I got a new one via warranty replacement. No fees for a warranty electrical system check if you are reporting anomalies at least at my dealer.

They are required to test the entire system before giving you a new battery. If the entire system checks out it has to be the battery.

I would not buy a new battery, just out of principle. I limped my bike to the dealer after essentially breaking down from no juice. Your not alone.

Purchased mine at the very end of August and it exhibited electrical issues almost immediately. Dont take the BS.

It was no surprise when after a new battery all my issues went away.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hey everybody,
So I bought a new R3 a couple months ago (October) and have since put 1500 miles on it. This is my 2nd bike, but also took a 2 year break in between bikes, so I did stall a couple times when I first got the bike. The first time I noticed something was wrong was I had just stalled after getting off the interstate, and the battery had died. I later took the bike for it's 600 mile service at the dealership, and they checked everything out and said it was good. The battery will now die periodically with no stalling and nothing after-market on the electrical side - once it died after a lunch break after a 2 hour ride in the canyons. I'm taking the bike to the dealership to get the battery checked out (oh, and when I bought the bike, my salesman told me something had happened to the original battery and they were charging me up a replacement, dunno if that means anything), but it's an $85 diagnostic fee that they said yamaha will probably cover if they find anything. Should I just cut my losses and buy a new aftermarket battery? What are peoples thoughts? I'm dropping the bike off on wednesday

TLDR;
battery won't hold a charge, dunno why, dealership wants $85 for a diagnostic which is maybe refundable, should I just cut my losses and buy a new battery?
You have warranty....
Here is a simple check. Get a good digital VOM, open seat to get access to battery, put VOM leads on battery and check voltage. Should be around 12 volts. Start bike with leads attached, and slowly rev engine. Voltage should creep up. If so, alternator is charging and battery is at fault. If not, charging system is at fault.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the replies everybody. I'm talking to a new, more experienced member of the dealers service department now and the guy seems like he genuinely wants to help now. gonna get yamaha to replace the battery

1 - 5 of 5 Posts