Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I was Trying to install my bar end mirrors I got today.. but I ran into some problems. I unscrewed the end piece but the metal piece inside the bar does not want to come out. I don't want to force it out and mess something up. Has anyone here done bar end mirrors on their r3? Any help would be great.

Thanks

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,264 Posts
That's a bar weight to reduce vibration.

Sometimes you can get them out by screwing in a screw that fits the threads and then using pliers to pull them out. I don't know if the resulting hole would be deep enough for the new bar end to fit all the way in. Since they're clip-on bars the weight might just be screwed into the bar end.

If none of that works you can always switch to the bar end mirrors that actually clamp around the outside of the handlebars. You just have to move the whole switch assembly inward enough for there to be room for the clamp.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I tried putting the screw back in and pulling it out, but it only moves out about 3/4 of a inch. I didn't want to force it to much and damage something. And I tried to turn the center but it just spins. I just wanted to see if it has been done yet by someone with the R3?

·
Premium Member
2,264 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I tried putting the screw back in and pulling it out, but it only moves out about 3/4 of a inch. I didn't want to force it to much and damage something. And I tried to turn the center but it just spins. I just wanted to see if it has been done yet by someone with the R3?
It could be that the entire clip-on is a hollow tube, in which case you can take a socket wrench extension and a hammer and tap the weight in far enough to fit the new bar end.

Bonus would be that you get to keep the weight in place.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I finally managed to get out that bar weight. Just took a little more force and some help from my friend Mr hammer! It had a clip at the end that pushed into 2 holes in the bar to keep it in place. It was also fun trying to get the bar end mirror wedge piece to grab inside the bar...but it's all done now. I love the clear view I get from these mirrors. Now I just need to order some block off mirror plates

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,264 Posts
I finally managed to get out that bar weight. Just took a little more force and some help from my friend Mr hammer! It had a clip at the end that pushed into 2 holes in the bar to keep it in place. It was also fun trying to get the bar end mirror wedge piece to grab inside the bar...but it's all done now. I love the clear view I get from these mirrors. Now I just need to order some block off mirror plates
Cool! Let us know if you get more vibration in the bars with the weights gone....

R&G seem to be the only ones making block off plates so far. They call them Mirror Blanking Plates and they're really expensive for what they are. Best price I've found so far is $52.00 U.S.D. plus $20.00 shipping.

KD Project Racing in Thailand has some nice ones for $22.50 a pair but they don't ship outside of Thailand.

Maybe Vagabond Motorsports or TST will make some....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cool! Let us know if you get more vibration in the bars with the weights gone....

R&G seem to be the only ones making block off plates so far. They call them Mirror Blanking Plates and they're really expensive for what they are. Best price I've found so far is $52.00 U.S.D. plus $20.00 shipping.

KD Project Racing in Thailand has some nice ones for $22.50 a pair but they don't ship outside of Thailand.

Maybe Vagabond Motorsports or TST will make some....
Yeah that's kinda of expensive I would think. I'm actually thinking to do something pretty cool and original for mine... I will post pics of it when I begin.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts