Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I like the look of the bar end mirrors but just wondering if there is anyone that has positive or negative feedback about them?

They look a tad bit smaller than the stock mirrors (less visibility?) and the position of them on the bar makes them pretty low (away from what's in front of you), I don't know if that'll be a problem or not!

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
73 Posts
I run the TST Industries (Womet Tech) bar end mirrors that fold and I've used the CRG bar ends as well. They provide more visibility over the stock mirrors, meaning I can see more of what's behind me rather than having to tuck my elbows in. You really have to get used to looking down at your mirrors rather than having them in your peripheral vision, because you are taking your eyes off of what's in front of you for a second. As long as you're not staring at them all the time, they aren't dangerous.

IMO, they clean up the bike and look better, but that's my own opinion. My biggest gripe is the ones I have require removal of the bar end weights which adds to the vibration, I've gotten used to it, but I can definitely see it bothering someone over time, especially on long rides. So maybe look for ones that have weights or thread into the stock bar ends.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Bar end mirrors:
+better looking
-looking in your mirror is more of a distraction
-convenience
-adds width to the bike; harder to lane split

Stock mirrors:
+less attention required to check your mirror
+can be pulled in; makes lane splitting easier
-aesthetically displeasing

From my own experience, I would never again put bar end mirrors on a bike I own. If I am not happy with the set of ears on my bike, I'll replace them with a better looking set of ears. The convenience of knowing what is behind me without having to take my attention off of what is in front of me (especially at high speeds) is too much to sacrifice for aesthetics. And this is coming from someone who didn't hesitate to do a tail tidy.

·
Registered
14 Posts
My two cents on the bar end mirrors. I like them.
On the problem of having to look down, I can't see anything in the stock mirrors so I have to turn my head and look back to see if anything is there.
I have found that the bike has a tendency to go the direction you turn you head. Just glancing down seems the lesser of evils to me.

Doug

·
Super Moderator
1,562 Posts
My new bike has bar end mirrors and I absolutely love them. Gone are the days where I need to chicken wing my arms in to see partially behind me. I can see EVERYTHING behind me now and they are very easy to glance to. They are by no means a distraction.

My only concern with barend mirrors on the R3 would be vibrations. The vibes were so bad on my bike... I'd be concerned that although you can see behind yourself, you'll only be seeing a blur.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the input everyone, even though this was an older post, I just wanted to update everyone.

I ended up grabbing bar end mirrors for my R3 and I actually prefer them now, the visibility is a heck of a lot better and they look awesome.

Vibration isn't bad since the ones I got have a rubber inserts, the only downside is that I had to shave down the rubber inserts to have them actually fit my vortex clip-ons.

They were from amazon and universal fitment, but with a little bit of modifications they worked out perfectly!

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had some on my fz-07 and loved them. You can get bar ends from rino moto that have groves in them to mount the mirrors
something like this https://www.solomotoparts.com/Rhino...3ek1txoFTyoTU4o_u8sjLOJC7hxReGWEaAtSjEALw_wcB

I had to mount the mirrors on the top of the handlebars compared to on the bottom side. On the bottom I had a hard time seeing because my arm was in the way.

I have 1 inch extenders on the mirrors now but still can't see to well. With the bar ends I could see behind me really well.
Just haven't done this yet on my r3 cause it would cost about 70 something for the bar ends and the bar end mirrors are too wide to fit in the grooves and have to be filed down to make fit.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Update on the bar end mirrors:
I removed the bar weights when I installed the mirrors. No problems with vibration.
On a ride a few weeks ago, the screw holding the mirror backed out and the mirror went bouncing into the weeds.
After that, I noticed a vibration in the bars. Got home, installed a new mirror and the vibration went away!
Mirrors are Speedmetal Billet Bar End Mirrors from Cycle Gear ( on sale some times for $39.99).

Doug

1 - 9 of 9 Posts