Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2016 R3. All bikes on dealer floor had same issue--whole bar end turns along with bolt. I just noticed I can slide mine in and out 1/8" or so and I see a little clip. Is this normal? If clips should be aligned with some groove inside how to I get them back in?

Thanks.

·
Registered
223 Posts
If you cannot pull the bar end out, then the clips are in place and working. Yes, the bar ends rotate freely.

Reactions: xorbe

·
Registered
223 Posts
Yes, they are able to be pushed in and out a little (just be sure the rightside bar end cannot get pushed in enough to rub against the throttle- if it does, then there is a problem). And if the clips are in place, you cannot pull out the barends by hand no matter how hard you pull.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you cannot pull the bar end out, then the clips are in place and working. Yes, the bar ends rotate freely.
Yes, they are able to be pushed in and out a little (just be sure the rightside bar end cannot get pushed in enough to rub against the throttle- if it does, then there is a problem). And if the clips are in place, you cannot pull out the barends by hand no matter how hard you pull.

Thanks. Confirmed this. Strange design.

·
Premium Member
1,562 Posts
Thanks. Confirmed this. Strange design.
Strange design indeed, and I'm convinced that this design is what's leading to the annoying amount of bar vibration I get at higher RPMs
This winter, I plan on tearing the whole thing apart and seeing what I can do to improve this design.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Took my weights out to install bar end mirrors.
The small arrow shaped bit on the outside of the clip catches in two holes in the bar. You can push them in to install, but have to release them to get the weights out.

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Put the mirrors on, left the weights out. I can't really tell the difference (note: I normally ride an SR500!)

Doug

·
Registered
179 Posts
So to add to this, I left the weights inside the handlebar but after about a month of me replacing OEM bar ends. The weight just slides out after a few mins of riding! Any thoughts why it would do so after so much time? It's under warranty, but I'm worried they won't honor it because I changed the ends.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Look for a small tab onm the bar weight. it might not be locked into the hole in your handlebar
I think I know what you mean. But it won't lock it's as if the clip is bent? Like it's not tight enough. I hear it click, then if I pull with the screw in it, it goes pop and comes out. I wonder if I broke the tab and at this point.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts