Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So. This is most likely my fault for leaving the battery connected with not much riding all winter, but I went to do some pre-season maintenance on my bike and thought I'd do a little start-up to see how it goes...... nothing.

I hear a chattering (from my battery i think) but the engine doesn't begin to start trying to turn over. When I turn everything off, and then pop the ignition switch to "on" and I flick a turn signal, the instrument panel fades in and out in accordance to the turn signal flashing on and off.

That definitely means my battery's drained right? I've tried attaching a battery charger, letting it charge overnight, and trying again but same situation.

·
Registered
113 Posts
So. This is most likely my fault for leaving the battery connected with not much riding all winter, but I went to do some pre-season maintenance on my bike and thought I'd do a little start-up to see how it goes...... nothing.

I hear a chattering (from my battery i think) but the engine doesn't begin to start trying to turn over. When I turn everything off, and then pop the ignition switch to "on" and I flick a turn signal, the instrument panel fades in and out in accordance to the turn signal flashing on and off.

That definitely means my battery's drained right? I've tried attaching a battery charger, letting it charge overnight, and trying again but same situation.

NEW battery time OR BAD connection at the battery terminals. I'd clean the terminals FIRST before investing in a new battery ... IF it was me!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Hi
have you got a multi meter? this will give you the voltage available, I had a similar issue with mine. if the battery has less than 12.8v available it wont want to turn over,(the figure given was from a new battery fully charged and left over night then checked the next morning).
I fitted new battery kicks up every time. batteries dont last forever, so i would, as suggested check terminals first (its free)

if you do purchase one (meter) it wont be wasted as it can be used for future problems on the bike.hope this helps

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi
have you got a multi meter? this will give you the voltage available, I had a similar issue with mine. if the battery has less than 12.8v available it wont want to turn over,(the figure given was from a new battery fully charged and left over night then checked the next morning).
I fitted new battery kicks up every time. batteries dont last forever, so i would, as suggested check terminals first (its free)

if you do purchase one (meter) it wont be wasted as it can be used for future problems on the bike.hope this helps
Haha thanks man. I had gone and ordered a new OEM battery for myself. Fixed the problem. I appreciate the attempted solution fix though!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts