Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
I have a Shorai in my R1 for almost 2 years with no issues.

For those living in cold states I'd recommend a quick release like ballastic offers to store the battery inside while bike is being stored over winter. Unless you have a heated garage.

·
Premium Member
2,264 Posts
I have a Shorai in my R1 for almost 2 years with no issues.

For those living in cold states I'd recommend a quick release like ballastic offers to store the battery inside while bike is being stored over winter. Unless you have a heated garage.
Yep, they offer a pair of quick release cables they call Rip Cord Cables. A bit pricey at $50/pair, though.

And a Lithium Battery-specific charger is recommended, as well.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I never used a charger on my shorai but the bike doesn't sit for no more then a few weeks at the most. Plus Shorai says the battery tender brand trickle charger can be used as long as the battery isn't completely dead. The specfic charger is ideal though as it charges all cells evenly.

·
Premium Member
2,264 Posts
I never used a charger on my shorai but the bike doesn't sit for no more then a few weeks at the most. Plus Shorai says the battery tender brand trickle charger can be used as long as the battery isn't completely dead. The specfic charger is ideal though as it charges all cells evenly.
I like Battery Tender chargers. Never had one fail yet, as compared to a Sears Trickle/Maintennace one that bit the dust after 14 months and an Oxford one that only lasted 9 months.

B.T. also makes a Lithium Charger that isn't too pricey

http://www.batterytender.com/Motorc...2V-800-mA-USA-Western-Hemisphere-Lithium.html

·
Registered
811 Posts
Yep, they offer a pair of quick release cables they call Rip Cord Cables. A bit pricey at $50/pair, though.

And a Lithium Battery-specific charger is recommended, as well.
Or you could spend $20 at your local NAPA dealer and make one like I did.

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx?R=NW_740230_0293961154

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx?R=NW_740220_0063685698

Those should have male and female ends to each.

You will need to learn how to solder though. It is a good skill to pick up anyway. :)

I will get pics of what my set up looks like.

I use Shoria batteries. They work wonderful. As someone stated though, Lithium batteries should be stored indoors, or a heated garage during winter. DO NOT use a standard battery charger on them either. It will ruin the battery and it will not be covered under warranty.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Thanks. Are there no exact reports from The P1? Does ist fit or not? Enough energy?
I can say I haven't heard anything bad about them. There are other lithium batteries I wouldn't touch.

As for fit, it will fit. You will have a large gap where your old battery was. I know the Shorias come with foam so you can fill that gap and get the battery to fit snug where it was originally. I would check with P1 about that. Otherwise just use a zip tie to keep it in. I do that with my race bike and it never came out.

Heck, I was just using velcro this last year because I had to change my battery every other race. I was running a total loss system (no battery recharging) so I had two batteries. One would be charging while the other was in the bike.

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
I agree with Cap. A 4-cell should work fine. If in doubt, compare CCA for the Pulse with the lead-acid in the bike (printed on the side of the battery). If close, you should be good. Some batteries come packed in foam that you can use to make up the difference in OEM vs new battery space. I ended up using the Ballistic and so far it has worked out fine. Shorai's are the Cadillac, IMO.

Some of the early Ballistics were no bueno, but it seems they have worked out the issues (I hope). One caveat - DO NOT use a car battery charger to 'quick charge' these things - bad things can happen. Guy pitted next to me did just that about a year ago. Sounded like a .22 going off when the battery grenaded. **** lucky he didn't burn his and my bike to the ground.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts