Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I just bought a new Yamaha R3, but the owner let the bike sit out for 6 months without charging it over the winter and the battery died. We push started the bike and the bike is fine. I should have walked away from the deal on principle, but I decided to just buy it as I could not resist. So, I am in the market for batteries and came across this one which is right across my home:

It has 100 CCA, 12 V and 7 Ah. The dimension is 114mm x 69mm x 134mm, which should fit. Is this a good buy for the bike?

·
Super Moderator
1,031 Posts
Hey guys, I just bought a new Yamaha R3, but the owner let the bike sit out for 6 months without charging it over the winter and the battery died. We push started the bike and the bike is fine. I should have walked away from the deal on principle, but I decided to just buy it as I could not resist. So, I am in the market for batteries and came across this one which is right across my home:

It has 100 CCA, 12 V and 7 Ah. The dimension is 114mm x 69mm x 134mm, which should fit. Is this a good buy for the bike?

You didn't say the cost your battery. But the link below is for an OEM battery, and a price. It's also a good Yamaha part # for the battery if you care to compare somewhere else. ;)

https://www.yamahapartshouse.com/oemparts/a/yam/54fdc9a687a86510e821042d/electrical-1

·
Registered
20 Posts
100CCA is below the 120 it comes from factory, that might not be an issue at the beginning but beware. Just stick with an OEM one if you don't use it on the racetrack, you won't notice the 2lbs you save with a lithium battery.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Might consider Lithium battery as well like Antigravity or similar. It's much lighter and holds charge longer.
I really try not to stir up trouble.... If you choose to go this route, be prepared to pull the battery every winter. I live in Minnesota, and I can tell you that the lightweight lithium-ion batteries are great! BUT- the don't do well in the cold- It sounds like the bike was stored in a cold climate (based on the original post). If not racing, I would go with a good battery, from a reputable source. I've had great experiences with Batteries Plus. They aren't the cheapest, but they don'y sell junk-

·
Registered
161 Posts
I would just stick with the stock battery as long as you have it on a battery tender when you not using it the battery will last a very long time. the Li-on batteries are ok but if you let those batteries go under 3v there is no bringing them back from the dead and you will be out that money and have to purchase another expensive replacement. if you let the stock battery go down to 0 volts you can always bring it back to life. I have 2015 still with stock battery and no issues yet, its always on the tender after every ride.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts