Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I didn't realize the bike already had a battery tender connection on the bike. I had already ordered a battery tender, with bike side connection in plans to use for a USB adapter for charging on the go if needed, as well as being my connection for the charger when I know I won't be riding and for over the winter.

Would there be an issue connection the second tender to the bikes battery and leaving the stock one in its current position for when I need to put the bike on the tender? I don't want to have to move it for the USB connector since its down on the left side of the bike and I planned on running the USB in the "trunk" or up to the handlebars once I get a phone mount.

(I will be disconnecting the USB port from the tender when not in use)

·
Premium Member
1,562 Posts
I had no idea the new R3 came with a tender hookup installed. :confused:

You should have no problem at all hooking up a second line.
I had a tender hooked up to mine as well. The quick disconnect was hidden behind the left side "z" panel and then continued forward to the dash area, where I had my 12v socket for phone and camera power.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had no idea the new R3 came with a tender hookup installed. :confused:

You should have no problem at all hooking up a second line.
I had a tender hooked up to mine as well. The quick disconnect was hidden behind the left side "z" panel and then continued forward to the dash area, where I had my 12v socket for phone and camera power.
I had no idea either, not even mad because its in a good spot for charging and not having the cable go through the air, my TST industries stuff didn't come today :( it looks like it will be here tomorrow, so ill probably go install everything tomorrow. Have any photos of how you ran it to the Z panel? and how long was the tender's cord you bought?

·
Premium Member
1,562 Posts
I had no idea either, not even mad because its in a good spot for charging and not having the cable go through the air, my TST industries stuff didn't come today :( it looks like it will be here tomorrow, so ill probably go install everything tomorrow. Have any photos of how you ran it to the Z panel? and how long was the tender's cord you bought?
No pics and everything is off the bike now, unfortunately.
More than enough cable though. I had the extra stuff looped up and completely hidden, hanging under the speedo area.

·
Registered
424 Posts
No doubt your bike is second hand and the previous owner installed the battery tender, it definitely doesn't come with one standard.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Sorry... i am new on this... I got my bike 3 weeks ago... how can I identify if my R3 has a battery tender?

Reactions: buradd

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry... i am new on this... I got my bike 3 weeks ago... how can I identify if my R3 has a battery tender?
Easy way is probably to pull the seat off and see if there are wires connected to the battery other than the main. Mine hangs down by the left rearset and above the chain guard

·
Premium Member
1,562 Posts
I had mine tied into the battery and then the quick-connect plug was hidden behind the black z-shaped panel under the seat (on the left side of the bike). I had mine hooked to a 12v plug that was zip-tied to my dash area (on the left side of the ignition) which I used with a 12v USB charger for my phone.
When I wanted to hook my bike up to the battery tender (which was only during the off-season months), I removed the seat, the left z-shaped panel and hooked in to the quick-connect plug.

I didn't leave my plug visible and hanging out.

·
Registered
28 Posts
The R3 doesn't come from the factory with a battery tender cable, but they are very easy to install and is definitely recommended for battery maintenance and prolonging battery life.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Old thread but I bought a tender for my new bike, don’t have the bike yet, but wondering after reading of many accounts of the stock battery terminals being too small in diameter and too short in general to accommodate adding additional accessories....should I anticipate any issues adding the battery tender based on others experience?

·
Registered
517 Posts
Old thread but I bought a tender for my new bike, don’t have the bike yet, but wondering after reading of many accounts of the stock battery terminals being too small in diameter and too short in general to accommodate adding additional accessories....should I anticipate any issues adding the battery tender based on others experience?
No problems with install.
I added the battery tender cables to the battery terminals without problem. Then made a matching SAE quick connect harness for my air pump so I can connect easily to power at the same battery tender SAE connector. Also a USB outlet for a matching quick SAE connect harness if I need to tap into power in an emergency. Good luck with the install.

·
Registered
112 Posts
No problems with install.
I added the battery tender cables to the battery terminals without problem. Then made a matching SAE quick connect harness for my air pump so I can connect easily to power at the same battery tender SAE connector. Also a USB outlet for a matching quick SAE connect harness if I need to tap into power in an emergency. Good luck with the install.
Great idea with the connector on the air pump! And thanks for confirming that connecting to the battery won’t be a problem, not sure why others expressed such difficulty.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts