Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's time to put the bike away for the season. This is my first time winterizing a bike. I have done a fresh oil change, fuel stabilizer, covered it, and put it on stands.
I am going to be purchasing a battery tender, but wasn't sure which one you guys recommend. Is it fine if i get the Deltran "junior" 12v 0.75A charger? The junior is half the price, but half the amps in comparison to the "plus" model.
Thanks!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I use the Battery Tender Junior 12V. It does a fairly decent job imo, but that's me. we don't tend to have very cold winters down in FL.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I use the Battery Tender Junior 12V. It does a fairly decent job imo, but that's me. we don't tend to have very cold winters down in FL.
You don't "tend" to have very cold winters in Florida....pun "intended"? LOL!
I will be storing my bike in an underground heated garage and bring battery into the apartment on the tender. I will go with the junior.
thanks!

·
Registered
198 Posts
The only difference between the JR and the larger one is the charging speed. If your just float charging the battery then the JR will be fine charging at 750mA.

If you're already bringing the battery inside you shouldn't need a tender. Last year I left my battery on the tender all winter and it killed the battery capacity, had to buy a whole new battery. Standard lead acid batteries have a memory, if it is only depleted to 95% and then charged back full a bunch of times then the battery will start to lose it's full capacity.

Just bring the battery inside and leave it alone. If you absolutely have to, put it on the tender, in a few months, for a day and then take the tender off until just before you're going to put it back in the bike.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The only difference between the JR and the larger one is the charging speed. If your just float charging the battery then the JR will be fine charging at 750mA.

If you're already bringing the battery inside you shouldn't need a tender. Last year I left my battery on the tender all winter and it killed the battery capacity, had to buy a whole new battery. Standard lead acid batteries have a memory, if it is only depleted to 95% and then charged back full a bunch of times then the battery will start to lose it's full capacity.

Just bring the battery inside and leave it alone. If you absolutely have to, put it on the tender, in a few months, for a day and then take the tender off until just before you're going to put it back in the bike.
Thank you for the recommendation!! I was under the impression that you need to tender it for the off season. I will just leave the battery inside for now and follow what you have said. The bike only has 5000km, so the battery itself is also pretty new.
Thanks again!

·
Registered
197 Posts
I have the 750 ma version.
In the winter I put it on the battery once a month. I disconnect it when the light changes to green.
Never had a problem.

·
Premium Member
1,391 Posts
Hey buddy, honestly if you have a heated garage, you probably don't need to do anything. Just disconnect it and leave it in the bike. I know for my car, I just disconnect it and leave it over the winter in the car. Then I charge it up in the spring. No issues and battery has been in the car for over 5 years. And my garage isn't even heated. Lead acid batteries are pretty tough and can take quite a bit of abuse but main thing is just to disconnect it.

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
I bought a $9 float charger from Harbor Freight

m.harborfreight.com/automatic-battery-float-charger-42292.html
Maintain 12 volt rechargeable batteries in storage
Copper-plated steel battery clamps for better conduction
LED power indicator light 10 ft. 22 gauge charging cable
Automatic safety shutoff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
330 Posts
The tender junior is just fine for "tendering" a battery. Buy one of the plug ins for your battery so you can just quick plug it in and leave the seat on.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I use the junior on bikes, ATVs, and snowmobiles in a garage that gets below freezing most of winter. I have a couple and typically just rotate these around amongst vehicles every month or so with a plug connector attached to each so I don't need to mess with removing seats, fairings, etc.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Sorry, I didn’t want to start a new thread as there are so many already about battery tender...

So I got the 5A Batter Tender plus for the bike. I asked Deltran themselves if it was ok to use the charger on a LiFePO4 battery aka lithium iron phosphate battery (I plan on changing the stock battery to a lithium one in the future) and they told me that it was ok to use but not for storage... the charger’s instruction stated that it was made for lead acid battery only but the person I chat with said it was ok to charge a lithium battery with it. So I’m confuse now if it is really ok to use this charger on a lithium battery or not. Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
228 Posts
Sorry, I didn’t want to start a new thread as there are so many already about battery tender...

So I got the 5A Batter Tender plus for the bike. I asked Deltran themselves if it was ok to use the charger on a LiFePO4 battery aka lithium iron phosphate battery (I plan on changing the stock battery to a lithium one in the future) and they told me that it was ok to use but not for storage... the charger’s instruction stated that it was made for lead acid battery only but the person I chat with said it was ok to charge a lithium battery with it. So I’m confuse now if it is really ok to use this charger on a lithium battery or not. Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Contact the company directly via email or check their website for that model, then go on amazon and check out the Q&A's

1 - 13 of 13 Posts