Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Heh, thought I would have finished everything by April at the latest after purchasing a used R3 this past October as I acquired various parts and upgrades from December until March primarily. Gotten a few things more recently, and have ended up with extra parts as changes and parts conflicts have reared their ugly head.

Originally, my plan was to go with primarily red and silver parts to highlight those already present colors on the raven R3. While I wear only silver on my watch and rings, I really dug the gold accents against the black raven color. While not all the "gold" and "orange gold" parts match in color exactly, they're close enough and I think they look great as little highlights on the bike. It's turning out really well methinks.

Suspension is an important upgrade, and arguably more important to attend to than some aesthetic upgrades, but the fork and rear shock upgrades will be some of the biggest upgrades expense-wise, so it was easier to defer them. However, when I added a Progressive rear shock with external res to my FZR600, it was like night and day.

In the near future, I am probably going with a rear shock, and just upgrade the springs or maybe get a cartridge kit.

Anyway, here is the current status of my R3 in pics. I'll add some notes later. The whole R3 recall thing is bumming me out, but c'est la vie. No sense in tripping over it. I just want to hear something official and get it handled in a timely manner. As it is for me, I suspect it will be aggravating for you waiting for a multitude of reasons-waiting for the official release and response, holding off riding or riding carefully as this "defect" is at the forefront, etc. I'm still riding but going to hold off on any long distance or time extensive rides.

The first set of pics are of the bike with some highlights of certain areas. The end shots include pics of the parts still left to install.

Note: I'll be posting some explanation of the bike, notes on the work and work pics, & various other notes and pics.

Here is a list of currently installed parts:

-Bikers Side Kick Stand Board [titanium]
-Scorpio Ride/Secure Motorcycle Alarm + Data System
-Vagabond or TST Fender eliminator kit:
-TST Front LED turn signals
-TST Rear LED Turn Signals
-TST Yamaha OEM connectors/Relays
-TST Relay
-DynoJet PowerCommander5
-Akrapovic full exhaust system
-R&G Radiator grill guard
-R&G Down Pipe Grill guard
-Driven Block Off Plate
-BMC Air Filter
-Tyga CNC Alum/CF rearmost + rear brake line
-TechSpec snakeskin tank pad protector
-Vortex Swingarm spools (REMOVED FOR WOODCRAFT SLIDER SPOOLS)
-Woodcraft Slider Spools (Aluminum Vortex spools are nice but get gauged easily-Woodcrafts are more functional)
-R&G Racing Round Exhaust Protector(4.5"-5")
-Sato Oil Filler Cap: $35 &Titanium Locking plates
-Kitaco Rear Master Cup Guard (Silver)
-Dimotiv Mirror Extension (left)
-Dimotiv Mirror Extension Kit (right)
-Dimotiv Frame hole Covers (Gold)

[p]
Here is a list of already acquired but not yet installed parts:

-PC5 AutoTune (needs new bung welded)
-GRAVES: rear brake return spring (optional)
-Brembo 15 RCS Master Cylinder
-Brembo P4 Front Caliper Upgrade Kit
-CRG SC2 Clutch Lever & perch
-PSR Anodized Yamaha or Brembo Ft Brake Reservoir
-Sato Reservoir brackets
-Sato Front Brake Reservoir Cap
-Brembo(ft) & Galfer(Rr) brake pads(Rr set)
-Vortex Clipons
-Driven D3 grips:
-Driven universal reservoir clamp (or Woodcraft reservoir clamp)
-Sato Bar Ends)
-Sato Lever Guards
-MotoD Oil Cap w/Locking plate & wire
-Spears Fork Pre-Load Adjuster Caps
-Impact Crash Pads-Bottom Lt/UpperRt (Gold)
-Dimotiv Crash-Pad Right Side Lower(Gold)
-Dimotiv Chain adjuster (Gold)
-Bikers Stem Top Bolt-Gold
-Dimotiv Front Fork Bracket (Gold)
-BIKERS Fork Upper Top bridge cover (Gray)
-R&G Aero LED Turn Signals (Replace TST Flushmounts)

Here is a list of planned parts:

-Ermax rear hugger
-R&G Fork Protectors for Yamaha
-R&G Racing Universal Toe Guard
-Andreani fork cartridge kit
-Ohlins YA476 Rear shock with external reservoir
-Pirelli Diablo Rosso II tires
-Galfer wave rotors

R0b0tN1nja's R3- Reassembled Pics

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v486/kenergy/KM%20YAMAHA%20R3/KM%20R3%20Vagabond%20FE%20Kit%20%20Akrapovic_zpsuvlvldoh.jpg

·
Registered
542 Posts
Looking good so far, but it seems like you forgot to install all the good stuff lol. Very interested to see how the brembo goodies turn out, I'd love some better brakes on this bike.

If you weren't on the wrong side of Manhattan I'd be willing to help you get some of that stuff done.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Man, you bought out t he whole store! You win
Lol. I'm not done yet!

Looking good so far, but it seems like you forgot to install all the good stuff lol. Very interested to see how the brembo goodies turn out, I'd love some better brakes on this bike.

If you weren't on the wrong side of Manhattan I'd be willing to help you get some of that stuff done.
You can still help! My friend who was supposed to help bailed on me. Something about selling his Park Slope place, packing, and moving to a new apartment, yada yada.

I plan on doing the clip-ons, grips, clutch lever,Brembo master cylinder/brake lever, and Brembo caliper upgrade soon.

The pics were taken out at my parent's house on Long Island. I have use of the garage and my tools out there. I don't have those luxuries in Brooklyn although my mechanic friend said he'd think about letting me keep my tools and work on my bike in his shop.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think the kids would be calling this a "super trick" bike nice job
Thanks man. Coming along slower than wanted/expected, but better to take your time. Sometimes I get impatient and fire a wrench or two into the garage wall. Fairing panels can be tricky with all their nuances.:D

:eek:

Like cwick2000 said, you win.

Enjoy fitting all the goodies. Looking great so far. :)
Thanks man. The goodies add up, and its like you're never done. I keep adding more parts to my "R3 Wishlist"

I'm super happy with it so far. The recall issue is putting a damper on things, but I'm still riding. IN NY we've had amazing weather and barely any rain. I think I will hold off on super long or strenuous rides until the recall repairs are done.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Lol. I'm not done yet!

You can still help! My friend who was supposed to help bailed on me. Something about selling his Park Slope place, packing, and moving to a new apartment, yada yada.

I plan on doing the clip-ons, grips, clutch lever,Brembo master cylinder/brake lever, and Brembo caliper upgrade soon.

The pics were taken out at my parent's house on Long Island. I have use of the garage and my tools out there. I don't have those luxuries in Brooklyn although my mechanic friend said he'd think about letting me keep my tools and work on my bike in his shop.
I'm in NJ, so the tolls to LI make it a ridiculous trip. It costs me 30 bucks in tolls just getting to the Island.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm in NJ, so the tolls to LI make it a ridiculous trip. It costs me 30 bucks in tolls just getting to the Island.
I know all about it. It is insane. My ex-GF lives in NJ. She used to live in Bogota, and then moved to Hawthorne and then Franklin Lakes. She worked at Oradell Animal Hospital in Paramus, but moved to a new job. Spent every other weekend in NJ for 5 years. It was the reason I got an EZPass. Not having one is awful.

Funnily enough, my Brooklyn girlfriend of the last 4 years is originally from Princeton. She has 5 sisters, 2 of whom still live in NJ-one in Franklin lakes and one in Princeton. And her Aunt and Cousins still live in NJ. Her Dad and sister moved to FL after her Mom passed away.

I love the Northeast, and am a born and bred NYer to the bone, but ****. The tolls, ticketing frenzy, & often preventable traffic is maddening. As if the taxes aren't enough revenue. It is the biggest racket ever. They're addicted to the tolls and tickets. Also, the crappy service for mass transit here is inflated. Mass transit is amazing, don't get me wrong, but being half-Japanese, I am aware of the pristine cleanliness and punctual service that is the hallmark of Japan's mass transit. It could be worse, but the MTA needs to improve A LOT. I'd say half the traffic I see is preventable. It's from slow people clogging the road especially the left lane, rubbernecking, etc. You need to have administration of parking, etc because people would just abuse things (as if they don't already) but the ticket fees are exorbitant. Something has to give.

I truly think they need to make driver education more thorough and rigorous, road tests more difficult, introduce tiered licenses (L1:compacts L2: sedans/crossovers L3: sports/trucks/large SUVs) and other measures. Things aren't improving, they're getting worse.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Update. Got some other stuff installed and got my recall service work done. Finally. Glad that is done.

-Impact Crash Pads-Bottom Lt/UpperRt (Gold)
-Dimotiv Crash-Pad Right Side Lower(Gold)
-Dimotiv Chain adjuster (Gold)
-Bikers Stem Top Bolt-Gold
-Bikers Fork Upper Top bridge cover (Gray)

Also, got an Ogio tank and tail bag. Almost went Cortech but I am really happy with the Ogio's. Now all I have left install is my Autotune (need new bung welded), Dimotiv fork bracket, and my new levers and front master cylinder/brake upgrade (CRG SC2 clutch, Brembo 15 RCS MC/front brake lever, Tyga caliper bracket, Galfer front SS brake line, and Brembo P4 brake caliper. After that, I'll grab some Sonic springs from @ForksByMatt, and an Ohlins YA 467 Rear Shock with Remote Reservoir from Jesse (@Jbluetooth).

Note: I mixed/matched several gold parts from Sato, Impact, and Dimotiv, and while they do not match exactly, I still think it came out pretty sick as a highlight against the murdered out Raven black theme.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
How well does the Lower downpipe grill guard fit? Is it sturdy and fits in without any issues?

A fee other companies make a rad and down pipe grill, but I went with R&G. Both are extremely sturdy. I'd even say the downpipe is sturdier. It fastens at the bottom of the rad guard and attaches to the bottom of the radiator, and bolts to the fairing as well. It fits perfectly although as so many pieces are meeting there,it takes some patience.

Also, the actual grill is high quality and extremely rigid. What I like about both is not only are they protecting relatively vulnerable areas but it really makes it aesthetically clean looking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
54 Posts
How well does the Lower downpipe grill guard fit? Is it sturdy and fits in without any issues?
I, too, have an R&G radiator guard and downpipe grill, and they both look great and fit great individually. However for me, I had some trouble getting both the radiator guard and downpipe grill secured onto the OEM radiator mount b/c the OEM bolt that was being reused wasn't long enough on one side. I just bought a longer bolt from a hardware store and that solved the problem.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts