Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So couple of days back i rearended a vehicle with my R3 then dropped it to the right. I sent it to Yamaha and today i went back to look at the quotation, they told me that when they jacked up my front wheel and spun it, they saw that my brake disc is not straight. It was not something i can see with my bare eyes but say if my brake disc is indeed bent, how bad can it affect my riding?

·
Registered
389 Posts
Not that expensive for a OEM rotor. Replace it.

Reactions: Hory_Mory

·
Registered
111 Posts
How can you rear end a car? Following too close then the driver slammed on his brakes? Only know 2 riders who have rear ended a car. One was stoned. The other blamed his ADD.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was on the slowest lane accelerating and checking my blindspot to make a lane change, but before i made the blindspot check i did not look far ahead enough to realize the vehicle was stationary ahead waiting to turn into the petrol station. I probably realize there was a car on the other lane that's why i didn't proceed to change the lane but when i turned back my head and notice the car(at about 50kmh), it was too late. i hit the brakes and it did reduce my speed a little(because ABS kicked in) before the impact

·
Registered
732 Posts
You could use this opportunity to replace the front brake disc with an aftermarket upgrade. Sometimes OEM parts are marked up because they know a lot of people will just want to replace stock, especially if that item is needed in pairs. Anyway, Galfer makes a nice wave rotor. It's not going to improve your braking-you should upgrade to SS brake lines & better pads-but you'll get a marginal weight savings, improved disc cooling, and it looks badass! If I had to replace the front rotor due to damage, I'd definitely upgrade to the Galfer wave rotor-I'd just look at it like I'm only spending the variance between the OEM disc and Galfer disc.

DF460CW GALFER FRONT Floating Wave Rotor - Yamaha R3 = $275
Link to Galfer rotor at HardRacing

Yamaha R3 OEM front brake disc = $184
Link to OEM R3 front brake disc at Partzilla

We're talking $90. It's a decent amount of money, but in my estimation, totally worth the upgrade! Total no brainer to get the Galfer.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You could use this opportunity to replace the front brake disc with an aftermarket upgrade. Sometimes OEM parts are marked up because they know a lot of people will just want to replace stock, especially if that item is needed in pairs. Anyway, Galfer makes a nice wave rotor. It's not going to improve your braking-you should upgrade to SS brake lines & better pads-but you'll get a marginal weight savings, improved disc cooling, and it looks badass! If I had to replace the front rotor due to damage, I'd definitely upgrade to the Galfer wave rotor-I'd just look at it like I'm only spending the variance between the OEM disc and Galfer disc.

DF460CW GALFER FRONT Floating Wave Rotor - Yamaha R3 = $275
Link to Galfer rotor at HardRacing

Yamaha R3 OEM front brake disc = $184
Link to OEM R3 front brake disc at Partzilla

We're talking $90. It's a decent amount of money, but in my estimation, totally worth the upgrade! Total no brainer to get the Galfer.
Thanks for the recommendation bro, but sadly patterned brake discs are not legal in my country for god knows what reasons:/ furthermore my brake disc has ABS sockets

·
Registered
90 Posts

·
Registered
732 Posts
Thanks for the recommendation bro, but sadly patterned brake discs are not legal in my country for god knows what reasons:/ furthermore my brake disc has ABS sockets
Well that sucks big donkey balls. At any rate, you definitely want to fix your brake disc and anything affiliated with the braking system. Yeah, I love parts that make my R3 look nice, and parts that make it go faster, but oftentimes, dudes disregard improving the brakes and/or suspension, which are integral to the safety and control of your bike. Not saying you are. But if anything is damaged or compromised in the braking system, no matter how minor, you definitely want to jump on it.0:)

But some people can't look beyond their frugality or "extreme couponing" mentality. You don't want to skimp on your helmet, armor protection, brakes or tires, among other things. It's like my girlfriend-she got a tire punctured, and when I took her tire shopping, she was all about getting THE CHEAPEST one. It's like, "Um, babe, you don't want to skimp on tires, it's your life riding on them." She's an architect from a top design school, but still it took convincing.

If you haven't already, upgrading the brake lines with some nice SS Speiglers or Galfers will improve your braking and feel, and some aftermarket pads will add some bite to your brakes too. I'm one to talk. I've bought a lot of aesthetic parts, boosted the bhp a bit with a full exhaust, PC5, BMC air filter, etc, and while I upgraded the front brake system with a Brembo master cylinder and caliper, I haven't messed with the suspension yet. >:D Problem is, the rear shock and fork cartridge kits are some of the most expensive upgrades. I'm probably getting an Ohlins rear shock, and while I'd love the Andreani fork cartridge kit, I'll probably just get some new springs once the OEM ones kick the bucket.

·
Registered
810 Posts
So couple of days back i rearended a vehicle with my R3 then dropped it to the right. I sent it to Yamaha and today i went back to look at the quotation, they told me that when they jacked up my front wheel and spun it, they saw that my brake disc is not straight. It was not something i can see with my bare eyes but say if my brake disc is indeed bent, how bad can it affect my riding?
Youll most likely get a crazy vibration while braking
No most likely about it. You WILL get crazy vibration. This is especially dangerous with only two wheels under you. Replace it and stay safe.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Yeah dude replace it before your ride. It's your front brake. It is the most important and most powerful system on your bike. If you want one thing operating at 100% it would be your front brake. ****.

·
Registered
732 Posts
No most likely about it. You WILL get crazy vibration. This is especially dangerous with only two wheels under you. Replace it and stay safe.
Just to add another 2 cents: this is especially so on a street bike. As we all know, the front brake does the lion's share of braking, and obviously being on the street, it is vital for us riders to have the brakes, tires, etc in excellent condition and top working order not only for our sake but for the other idiots on the road.

Like I said before, some people go frugal on everything and ignore things until there's a problem. Don't skimp on getting good helmets, brakes, tires, etc and make sure you do those boring and monotonous checks. Don't be like one of my buddies, who cleaned rust off of his Vespa front rotor with WD-40 when we were teenagers, and then freaked when the braking was weird, not to mention he almost did a face plant as he sprayed the front tire liberally with the WD-40. We happened to be going over a steel grate bridge right by his house that is slick as ice. Idiot.

·
Registered
545 Posts
You will find the bike without the rotor replaced unusable. Incredibly unsafe and serious loss in primary braking function possible. Do not ride, replace with OEM front disc.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts