Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fixing to get myself a r3 and it will be my first bike. Im a new rider and like everyone else i have read about the cheap bias ply tires that come on the r3. The bike will be my daily so i will be riding rain or shine so im looking for some insight on whether or not the stock tires will be ok for my application or if i should look into something else. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
I've ridden the stock tires through rain. They are not to my liking by it's not like you are riding through banana peels like everyone makes it out to be. I changed them out at around 750 miles by that's because I was to take the bike to the racetrack.

"Your application" wasn't very descriptive, so I am not sure how much the people who have out more miles on the oem tires can help. How fast do you normally ride, road conditions in your area, do you take the bike to the canyons and ride harder, things like that will all dictate if it's going to be good enough for an everyday tire, not just he fact that t will be used in the rain as well.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will mainly be riding too and from work but when it warms up ill take a few back road trips so i would love a tire that will keep me safe during daily conditions but have performance enough to let loose on some back roads.

·
Premium Member
2,264 Posts
I will mainly be riding too and from work but when it warms up ill take a few back road trips so i would love a tire that will keep me safe during daily conditions but have performance enough to let loose on some back roads.
Bridgestone S-20 EVOS for the win! Love them for all temps, all weather, wet or dry. They're right around $200 for the pair, shipped, from multiple sources like Revzilla, BikeBandit, Motorcycle Superstore, STG, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHnmukUJ7aQ&ab_channel=MotorcyclistMagazine

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Glad to hear it, i knew they had awesome performance in dry conditions i just couldnt find a review on them for wet conditions. The bridgestones will be my choice.

·
Premium Member
2,264 Posts
Glad to hear it, i knew they had awesome performance in dry conditions i just couldnt find a review on them for wet conditions. The bridgestones will be my choice.
From Motosport.com

"The best hypersport tire just got even better.

Exhilarating performance: Speed, speed and once again, speed. The Battlax Hypersport S20 EVO goes even further than its already outstanding predecessor, delivering the best of Bridgestone's MotoGP™ tire technology.
Incredible handling: Feel the power in your fingertips through every corner. Easy turn-in possibilities, outstanding rear grip and improved stability let you challenge the limits of your bike and the road.
Extended tire life: Revolutionary construction and compound technology last longer and take you further than ever before.
Superior grip: Experience the difference of tires that really stick to the road, for untold acceleration and braking response and ultimate maneuverability.
Reliable wet performance: No rain checks here! The Battlax Hypersport S20 EVO performs just as well in the wet for stable, reliable braking and handling in all conditions.

A Closer Look:

Tuned five-filament belt package significantly boosts stiffness for superior feedback and handling performance.
High-volume center grooves deliver superlative grip for maximum confidence in wet conditions.
Engineered side shoulder grooves provide unprecedented stability and contact feel when cornering, even at high lean angles.
Optimized contact area maximizes both wet and dry grip for superior high-speed stability and confident handling."

Only real complaint about these is that the rear tire wears pretty quickly in Track Use. But that's on 600cc and larger bikes. R3 should get much better mileage out of them.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Many people said about the tires but it's not all that bad. You may not be able to drag your knee down but daily riding I have not have any issue yet. I do ride rain or shine and pretty versatile(2days through mountain pass, 2 days straight freeway and 2day with stop/go traffic light every week) and just remind myself not to lean much in mountain with the rain. However I do ride pretty conservatively(still got 3/4" to 1" chicken strip on my OEM tires) so it might be some of the reference
People reported the tires running for around 4k miles with S20(even though more with this bike) but my OEM tire is just start to lose a little rubber. I do plan on getting an upgrade in the next tire set but I believe this OEM set will last me 10k miles

·
Registered
6 Posts
good tire,but i thought they would last longer,being a multi compound tire-we started using them instead of the diablo rosso 2's because of the wear,but the rear wears out pretty much the same mileage.we were getting about 2500 out of the dr2's and that is all we got on the s20 evo.combination of a couple of track days,canyons and no commute.the pirelli is a better tire if the mileage is the same.

·
Premium Member
2,264 Posts
good tire,but i thought they would last longer,being a multi compound tire-we started using them instead of the diablo rosso 2's because of the wear,but the rear wears out pretty much the same mileage.we were getting about 2500 out of the dr2's and that is all we got on the s20 evo.combination of a couple of track days,canyons and no commute.the pirelli is a better tire if the mileage is the same.
Unfortunately, the 110, 140 and 150 width S20 EVOs are only H rated and are Single Compound.

The S20s in other sizes are Z rated and are double compound on the front tire and triple compound on the rear tire.

The 120 EVO is Z rated and will fit the R3, but the other sizes are way too big for it, being 180, 190 and 200 widths.

From Bridgestone: "H-speed rated tires have modified rubber compounds (single rubber tread compound) and carcass constructions to offer enhanced grip and handling for smaller motorcycles"

·
Registered
460 Posts
The best commuter tire is one that lasts so you aren't spending all of your fuel savings on tires. Go out in the rain away from traffic on the Pilot Street tires to learn the braking limits. I'm sure you will find that they are quite good enough. And they will last longer than anything else you could put on. These new all around motorcycle tires such as the Street or the IRC are very insensitive to different temperatures. Maybe by the time those are worn, Michelin will make the excellent Pilot Road 4 in our size.

·
Registered
92 Posts
The problem with single compound tires for use on the street is that they tend to "square off" losing their original profile. This happens because most street riding is not at aggressive lean angles. Once the tire profile is squared there is less rubber on the road when you do do an aggressive lean. Bottom line for me is single compound tires are only useful if you do regular track days.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts