Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok boys.... I've finally done it....
This was a reply to many opinions but it worthy of it's own post..
It took a bored nothing to do day at home to do this
First and foremost does it work ? ? OMG yeah, is there repercussions like it now needs a tune or is there a flat spot or did I have no overly modify the bike to fit NO, NO, NO...

1st pic is yes I really hacked into the cover...BUT IT WORKS, you can prob see it has a foam filter.. I have ridden it in the rain and no issue.
2nd pic shows the nice tight fit, no floppy loose fit for rattles and neater ect...
3rd + 4th shows from the front, I took it to a Yamaha dealer and showed him and he actually believed they shot missiles...
So the tube was bought from the gardening section at the hardware store and the black plastic piece at the front was some sprinkler part that was pretty close to the hose diameter. I'm glad I didn't use corrugated tubing even though it got abit kinky I smoothed them out. it flows much better than corrugated. I put clear silicone to make up the gap in the tube and plastic...total cost $25 Aus $$ and 4 - 5 hours (took my time)

All in all I have more power from idle to 13,000 rpm, also I have more low down torque so easier take offs. I also changed the plugs at the same time. I still kept the 2 tubes on inside the airbox. The only downside to all this is I need to watch my speedo more now.... It really is a new bike almost....Other supporting mods is just a full akraprovik with titanium muffler without DB killer...

I feel I have pioneered this to the R3 world as others seem to be on race R3's that require new fairings or huge mods or needing a tune after, and to be a pioneer and a female is extra empowering, having said this i'm sure there will be critics wanting to shut me down....so go ahead.. just line you R3 up next to mine and we'll see...

Angela :laugh: 0:)

Attachments

·
Registered
424 Posts
I would love to line my R3 up next to yours! you are hugely misguided to think your bike had a huge power improvement

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OMG this is the type of criticism I was expecting, so predictable...so who's misguided ? ? you are, by yourself, what part of that post did I say huge power gains ? ?where please tell me... All I said is for the amount of money it actually works with no side effects...if your R3 is for racing then i'm sure you've done a lot more mods then anyone here...And I see your profile name suites you as well, well chosen :) :) :)

·
Registered
424 Posts
First and foremost does it work ? ? OMG yeah,
1st pic is yes I really hacked into the cover...BUT IT WORKS,
I'm glad I didn't use corrugated tubing even though it got abit kinky I smoothed them out. it flows much better than corrugated. All in all I have more power from idle to 13,000 rpm, also I have more low down torque so easier take offs.

A few of these statements imply huge gains, any gains would not be significant enough to be notable. Perhaps instead of spreading mis-information you should back up what you're saying with evidence.
Thankfully it shouldn't be too expensive for the next owner to just replace the airbox

·
Premium Member
1,391 Posts
Okay folks, let's try to keep it civil here please :)

I like Angela's work and I think it should help things out. Do I have any proof? No. And since the ECU is so primitive, it would likely need a reflash or Dynojet to take advantage of the gains (just like replacing an exhaust).

But having said that, when I took the snorkel out of my airbox and the paper filter (replaced with BMC), there was a noticeable difference. Would it show up on a dyno? Probably not. But the bike definitely was more rev happy and *seemed* to have a little more oomph. Sure, that's just the old butt dyno, but that's how it felt to me.

I remember back when I was modding my VW 2.0 litre 8v and most guys said that modding the airbox on a small displacement engine designed for fuel economy was pointless and not worth the effort. There were similar debates then about modding the fender side of the air box (among other things). I went with a radical modification (similar to this) and was cheered and booed almost equally.

At the end of the day, it's her bike and it's your bike. Do what you want to it. If you want to put streamers on the clip ons and paint it purple, go for it.

Personally, I have heard stickers add 10 hp each ;)

·
Registered
197 Posts
:rolleyes:Some Yamaha engineers read your post and apparently rushed right out to buy some garden hose in time for today's MotoGP race in Brno.

·
Premium Member
1,391 Posts
Ok, so why do we bother with things like Dynojet or block off plates if the Yamaha Engineers are so brilliant? The fact is that the bike (like other vehicles) are engineered to certain standards and sometimes things like fuel economy, emissions, costs etc are factors that govern what they can and cannot do.

Yes, they did a great job within those confines but the bike is not 'perfect' the way it is from the factory. Even if you take the performance aspect aside, one of the first things most of us do is buy a fender eliminator - right? It doesn't mean that the bike is better or worse, its just tailored the way YOU like it.

This mod is the same - if you want to try it out, it's easily reversible and might actually produce some noticeable gains (at least from a throttle response perspective). I might even go so far as to say that with the right combination of mods (full exhaust, ECU flash or controller), that it could even dyno some gains.

So let's not knock it til we try it, okay?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It wasn't mis information vulgar, OMG that name really suites you...you took it as such, once again for $25 it brought me a lot for the money...As bluebird says its the butt dynometre...if someone wishes to pay for a dyno read and a gas test, please do so...I live in Sydney so i'll take it to any shop...

If the new buyer has any brains they'd compare it to another standard R3 with exhaust..
Heres the funny thing, you race an R3....couldn't you handle a bigger faster bike...

A few of these statements imply huge gains, any gains would not be significant enough to be notable. Perhaps instead of spreading mis-information you should back up what you're saying with evidence.
Thankfully it shouldn't be too expensive for the next owner to just replace the airbox

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oh why thankyou Marshy.....your the first to actually truly be positive...Thankyou..i appreciate it...the thing is, is that it actually works....90% of guys get intimidated by intelligence from a female or being outdone...i'm glad I heard from the 10% minority...thankyou Angela

whether it works or not, nice to see the girls having a go!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks R100, it's a clutered room full of the 90% of males that get intimidated by intelligent females...BRAVO to the lame reply...Well "engineers" would have the budget to buy more than a garden hose wouldn't they ? ? and a garden hose is too small inside so it's a waste...mine was a 25mm thin walled hose...really your a special person aren't you ? ?
:rolleyes:Some Yamaha engineers read your post and apparently rushed right out to buy some garden hose in time for today's MotoGP race in Brno.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi Bluebird...
civil will try but I predicted correct in the replies...

If a simple reflash is feasible without a commander then sure..if it will help performance and longevity...

agreed to the butt dyno theory...

car and bike manufacturers make snorkels and twisted restrictive air duct so it doesn't get the shwish sucky air sound, also for fussy EPA countries, and looks, but people after faster cars create cold air ducts and it's proven...it really aggrevates the criticism I get for a proven theory...cold air has smaller molecules and is more dense, so the same theory as NOS, the colder it is the more dense it is faster engine...simple at the end of the day, it's her bike and it's your bike. Do what you want to it. If you want to put streamers on the clip ons and paint it purple, go for it.

Yep it is my bike, and I think ive only added to the value, if a buyer of my bike like Vulgar said can go and buy an airbox and go back to restriction city...

Didn't like your sticker sarcasm but did like your don't knock till you try it theory..

·
Registered
424 Posts
i'm sure there will be critics wanting to shut me down....so go ahead.. just line you R3 up next to mine and we'll see...

Angela :laugh: 0:)

It wasn't mis information vulgar, OMG that name really suites you...you took it as such, once again for $25 it brought me a lot for the money...As bluebird says its the butt dynometre...if someone wishes to pay for a dyno read and a gas test, please do so...I live in Sydney so i'll take it to any shop...

If the new buyer has any brains they'd compare it to another standard R3 with exhaust..

Heres the funny thing, you race an R3....couldn't you handle a bigger faster bike...

You sound pretty upset for someone that expected to get some negative comments.
"Butt dyno" will probably tell you that you gained 5hp by switching to a higher octane fuel (which won't happen, just incase that's your next thread topic). If you have more power everywhere then prove it, if it's made that dramatic of a difference then it'll probably be running extremely lean and NEED a tune anyway.
I'm not saying that improvements can't be made to the power by increasing the airflow, but I am saying the improvements would be small and not significant enough to notice from just going for a ride and would require a tune to take advantage of any gains (and I definitely wouldn't be saying there are no down sides without investigating ANYTHING).
In regards to me racing an R3, you are extremely presumptuous (and incorrect) if you don't think I have larger capacity race bikes (and road bikes for that matter).

·
Registered
197 Posts
This has nothing at all to do with you being a woman Angela.
When I was racing a Honda RS125 in the '90's, I regularly had my wheels blown off by one or both of two ladies. The end result, at the end of the season, was that we were friends.
We all have fun mucking about with our bikes and that's a good thing. I just think what you did won't amount to anything.
If you didn't like the ribbing, sorry about that.

Reactions: VULGR

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thankyou for mentioning the garden hose comment...The hose I used was so so so so much different...
Thankyou also for backing up the girls but in this case it's more the mechanical side rather than racing. Anyway it was just nice for little ol Angela to pioneer something that actually works...
I wont even bother replying to that Vulgar guy... That person just doesn't listen
So you think Well I just think it wont amount to anything....sorry it did...I guess no-one here understands physics

This has nothing at all to do with you being a woman Angela.
When I was racing a Honda RS125 in the '90's, I regularly had my wheels blown off by one or both of two ladies. The end result, at the end of the season, was that we were friends.
We all have fun mucking about with our bikes and that's a good thing. I just think what you did won't amount to anything.
If you didn't like the ribbing, sorry about that.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Oh why thankyou Marshy.....your the first to actually truly be positive...Thankyou..i appreciate it...the thing is, is that it actually works....90% of guys get intimidated by intelligence from a female or being outdone...i'm glad I heard from the 10% minority...thankyou Angela
I like anyone who thinks outside the box, so well done to you.

My R3 is being taken off the road (Some day) to have a Leo Vince exhaust fitted. A blanking plate and Bazzaz courtesy of Jesse Norton. Fender eliminator, R6 throttle mods and your airbox mod. I hook up the Bazzaz to my laptop later and see if I need to change any fueling (%).

I have plenty of large clear hoses since a hobby of mine is Koi Carp.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Sigh. It's been a long while since I've seen something of this caliber posted here. This will not end well.

Edit. I'd almost suspect this was infante back at it again... But I'm pretty positive he sold his r3

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I like anyone who thinks outside the box, so well done to you.

My R3 is being taken off the road (Some day) to have a Leo Vince exhaust fitted. A blanking plate and Bazzaz courtesy of Jesse Norton. Fender eliminator, R6 throttle mods and your airbox mod. I hook up the Bazzaz to my laptop later and see if I need to change any fueling (%).

I have plenty of large clear hoses since a hobby of mine is Koi Carp.
Thanks TMD I'm glad I am getting some belief here

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Sigh. It's been a long while since I've seen something of this caliber posted here. This will not end well.

Edit. I'd almost suspect this was infante back at it again... But I'm pretty positive he sold his r3
Hiya....I will take that as a compliment of high calibre, thankyou :) :)

I'm sorry to burst your bubble but My name is Angela but it sounds this infant person also had strong opinions and also rode an R3, that's about all we'd have in common....

·
Registered
538 Posts
I like a girl that can work with 2 feet of garden hose. Anyway if you are trying to make this a ram air system then you should cap off the other holes in the air box.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 46 Posts