Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hiya R3ers

just joined & really am loving my new R3. my old ZZR250 was seriously dying so it's so easy to this now, my riding has even improved (which is both bad and good LOL)

Anyways on my first test ride I wasn't sold cuz the test bike has a slip on akropovik, then the guy started a new R3 & I was sold. if anyone who hates the raspy crappy sound of a single Kawasaki 250 ninja exhaust will agree that most aftermarket R3 exhausts sound like a big fart. it's funny that my ZZR250 (same as ninja but twin muffler) sounded great wheras the ninja sounded is painful. Is there a non farty smooth aftermarket exhaust. I'm all for extra power but it's got to sound nice.

Also for a std R3 whats the best bang for buck for power as a 1 off part fitment, air filters has mixed opinions

Thanks
Angela

·
Registered
856 Posts
Bridgestone S20Evo's or Pirelli DR2's :)

std tyres tie themselves in knots on a stock bike and are the 2nd weakest link.

·
Registered
74 Posts
From what I have seen online, dynos, and forums, there really isn't much power gain for this bike unless you go full race setup (exhaust, power comander, weight reduction, tires, etc...)
I haven't got new tires yet, but the stock tires are not made for performance riding, they are more of a commuter tire.

With this bike you will spend a lot of money, to squeeze very few extra ponies out of it, ride it for what it is or sell it and buy a 600 supersport, would probably be cheaper than fully modding it out for maybe an extra 5-10hp? (directed at anyone in general, not OP)

Welcome to the forum, Check out the exhaust thread:
http://www.r3-forums.com/forum/546-exhaust-fuel-delivery/2906-r3-aftermarket-slip-exhaust-13.html

I really like the looks, haven't heard the sound, of the coffman exhaust:
http://coffmansexhaust.com/shop/product-category/r3/
I want one, just dunno what color I want.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Bridgestone S20Evo's or Pirelli DR2's :)

std tyres tie themselves in knots on a stock bike and are the 2nd weakest link.
I have a set of S20 Evo's at home waiting for install. I lost confidence in the stock tires fairly quick. I was much more comfortable leaning my FZ6-S2 into a corner than I was the R3.

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
I'd offer that the 'best bang for the buck' for the R3 would be tire and suspension upgrades.

As mentioned, pipes and remap will gain marginal power increase and a loss of weight (always a performance enhancer). Because of the relatively low power to weight ratio for the R3, shedding weight will improve acceleration. Or, go on a diet - the cheapest way to shed weight from the rider/bike combo.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hi stirz
ok so it seems similar to my ZZR250 scenario, I'm ok with that.. but hey with the weight loss I'm a girl, very sensitive with weight as all girls, but I know I know it's all about vanity...
thanks for your reply though

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hi allennat
thanks for the advice and reply.
TBH I could keep riding my bike as is and be happy but to have a touch more throaty and roary would be a bonus. I'd do the performance air filter even for 1/2 a horsepower or even for more induction noise.
after my [email protected]#$TY trip in 41 degree Celsius heat today I need a bigass horn next (yep I saw the thread)
BTW I hope that wasn't a plug for Coffman exhaust, cuz I'm in aus

bigger bikes like a 600 anything I feel reeeeelly uncomfortable on
thanks

·
Registered
140 Posts
For an air filter, ive seen posted somewhere on the forum that the K&N Air filter doesnt have the right fitment and will leave a small unfiltered air gap whereas the BMC filter doesnt have this issue. Not too sure, do some snooping around :)

For a small capacity bike, youll get the most out of weight reduction mods, and getting rid of the obscenely heavy and large catalytic converter is an easy to shed some kilos. I have an Akrapovic Stainless full system on mine, and while it does sound quite good and is obscenely loud without the dB insert in; its best benefit in my opinion is that it is a full 5 kilograms lighter than the OEM exhaust system. The +0.9kW is just a nice bonus.

As has already been mentioned; suspension, brakes and tyres are always a good upgrade.

·
Registered
424 Posts
An ECU flash and tune would give the best results, it won't add much to the top end, it will make the bike feel a lot better and smoother throughout the rev range. You will likely gain a few hp in the low-mid range, smooth out any flat spots and improve the throttle response. For a lot of people it will 'feel' like it has more power

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Leave the bikes motor/ECU/Pipe alone.

Best upgrades you can do...suspension, and brakes.
I agree. I had a bike with more HP (N650), put a full exhaust, PCV and had a good map installed. Even with both of those adding a total of ~4-6 HP, I hardly, if at all, felt more power. Butt Dyno wants to feel more but I am not sure if I actually felt it. The PCV did make the bike smoother though after getting a correct map on it.

With suspension, you wont feel faster but you absolutely will feel the change in the quality of your ride. Plus with a little bit of reading and tweaking, you can make your bike more comfy and compliant on the street, or stiffer for the track.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi Harison and neighbour..
yeah I did research that too. I actually contacted K & N and they didn't contact me so clearly no filter for them yet..Bike biz sells DNA ones, in doing the full exhaust will drop huge weight in itself, but many say I need to loose weight like im a big fatty...whaaaat the ! ! !

I'm massively happy with the tyre and susp combo as I don't push the corners much

thanks

For an air filter, ive seen posted somewhere on the forum that the K&N Air filter doesnt have the right fitment and will leave a small unfiltered air gap whereas the BMC filter doesnt have this issue. Not too sure, do some snooping around :)

For a small capacity bike, youll get the most out of weight reduction mods, and getting rid of the obscenely heavy and large catalytic converter is an easy to shed some kilos. I have an Akrapovic Stainless full system on mine, and while it does sound quite good and is obscenely loud without the dB insert in; its best benefit in my opinion is that it is a full 5 kilograms lighter than the OEM exhaust system. The +0.9kW is just a nice bonus.

As has already been mentioned; suspension, brakes and tyres are always a good upgrade.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi Kijiiro

on my highly modified wrx (my baby) I'd spend thousands for 1 or 2 kilowats out of 210 so my expentations were pretty shot there too..

with my wrx and my last car both have/had aftermarket standalone's and never runs as good as factory ECU so I love my R3's turn the key reliability

I think your the only guy that hasn't told me to go on a diet so thankyou...I dont know why R3'ers ramble on about rider weight, I have my partner and I on the bike and it handles it fine, were 125 in total...
I'm very happy with the factory tyres and susp, as for track my wrx is for there...

thanks
Angela
http://www.r3-forums.com/forum/546-exhaust-fuel-delivery/87954-best-performance-upgrade-2.html#

·
Registered
194 Posts
The M4 full exhaust has a dyno chart here showing +3.3hp with the stock ecu. That's nearly an 8% increase in power. That's like adding 16hp to a 200hp car which as you know, is actually a pretty big deal.

I've also had a wrx. Awesome car.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Hi Kijiiro

on my highly modified wrx (my baby) I'd spend thousands for 1 or 2 kilowats out of 210 so my expentations were pretty shot there too..

with my wrx and my last car both have/had aftermarket standalone's and never runs as good as factory ECU so I love my R3's turn the key reliability

I think your the only guy that hasn't told me to go on a diet so thankyou...I dont know why R3'ers ramble on about rider weight, I have my partner and I on the bike and it handles it fine, were 125 in total...
I'm very happy with the factory tyres and susp, as for track my wrx is for there...

thanks
Angela
I think I can answer on why other riders "ramble" about rider weight. Typically in the US the riders are a heavier lot. You can spend thousands on losing weight on a bike on things such as rims, rotors, fenders and only lose a few pounds on the bike. Losing weight as a rider truly is a cheap way to reduce total weight and at the same time promote a healthier lifestyle.

I am positive no one is judging you, its just friendly advice. Realize its also "generic" advice. No one knows if you are overweight or not and I am sure no one would say such a thing to try and upset another member.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hi Justin
I'm pretty happy with the std tyres and susp..
thanks
Then you have no idea what good tires feel like compared to the rim protectors that they sell with the bike.

And the stock suspension is garbage. Doesn't matter if you are light or heavy.

A set of fork emulators, and fork springs in the front, a set of sintered brake pads and a steel braided line.

That will do loads more then gaining a few extra hp from a pipe.

Also adding a tooth or two to the rear sprocket will add a little extra off the line.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Then you have no idea what good tires feel like compared to the rim protectors that they sell with the bike.

And the stock suspension is garbage. Doesn't matter if you are light or heavy.

A set of fork emulators, and fork springs in the front, a set of sintered brake pads and a steel braided line.

That will do loads more then gaining a few extra hp from a pipe.

Also adding a tooth or two to the rear sprocket will add a little extra off the line.
I agree, but if the OP is just commuting, then maybe the stock rubber is good enough. Not the best, but good enough.

As far as suspension, I agree. Regardless of weight, the OEM damping rod style suspension on the bike is mediocre and an upgrade really is one of the mods that give a "Night and day difference". That term gets thrown around alot and it makes it lose its meaning, but once you upgrade from damping rod style forks, you will never want to go back. Someone once said the best suspension is the one you know, or something along those lines. The springs go without saying, unless the factory springs match your weight (racetech.com has a huge database that anyone can check). I personally wouldnt do emulators. Sounds like too much work getting it tuned ( pop off fork caps, remove emulator, tweak emulator, etc) unless you can get the retailer to have it set up already for your weight before they ship it. I also would prefer adjustability so I can change settings between commuting/track/canyon/whatever.

Another thing on suspension, if you do decide to upgrade, make sure its set up correctly. Alot of people will spend big bucks on suspension and will cheap out on having a suspension tuner tune it for them, or wont bother learning how to set it up. This does the rider absolutely no good.

@Angela: If you think the stock suspension is good enough, I invite you to try a bike with real adjustable suspension (make sure its set for your weight, otherwise it would be an unfair comparison).

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
I think your the only guy that hasn't told me to go on a diet so thankyou...I dont know why R3'ers ramble on about rider weight.
We don't think you're fat, so please don't take the weight-shed thing too seriously. Personally, I could stand to lose a bit myself, so I'm not one to talk.

I used to race bicycles (triathalons, mostly) - guys would buy unobtainium bits to shave grams - I could just not wear socks and get the same results.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts