Yamaha R3 Forums banner

Best Position for Oil Draining (Change), Kickstand or Bike stand?

7K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Dreadwil 
#1 ·
Hi All, About to do my first 600mi oil change on my 2019 R3. Question, does anyone know if oil will drain better while the bike is tilted to the left on the Kickstand, or if the bike is level and the rear wheel is propped up on a Bike stand?

I want to drain an much oil as I can, especially for this first oil change, so I want to know which approach is better.

Thanks much.

#2 ·
I'd recommend an oil filter along with the first oil change. Make sure to run the engine long enough to get the oil warm, and drain it. A rear stand would give you more room under the engine to place a catch container for the spent oil and filter. But it matters little which way you do it. Drain as much oil as possible, and what's left will be minimal. If you're over anxious about it, do the next oil and filter change earlier than Yamaha's recommendations. All will be good, either way.

#3 ·
1. Run the engine until it reaches normal operating temperature.
2. Turn it off and leave it for 5 to 10 minutes so that the settles to the bottom again.
3. Remove sump plug, being careful not to burn yourself as the oil will be hot.
4. When the oil flow changes to drips, remove the Oil filter.
5. Raise the back of the bike on a rear stand to get the last little bit out. This helps pour the oil out of the oil pan as if you are pouring water out of a Jerry Can.

TLDR: I've found that putting the bike on a rear stand helps get the last bit of oil out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.