Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can you think of any?

Honda NSR 250cc MC28 with tyga 300CC BBK comes to mind,... 65-70hp.

Thats the only one I can think of and the,..

Turbo charged ninja 250cc 60 hp.

So how about a 65HP turbo charged R3 good for 60k miles as opposed to 100k miles with stocker before rebuild needed? Im good with 60k miles and a turbo set up game on!

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
The first bit will be to find a small enough turbo for a 300 cc motor. Turbo's for 1000-2000 cc are common, not so much when you go smaller. Could be an interesting build exercise...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The first bit will be to find a small enough turbo for a 300 cc motor. Turbo's for 1000-2000 cc are common, not so much when you go smaller. Could be an interesting build exercise...
I just did a huge write up about Turbo's for the R3 and comparison of the various cbr 250 and ninja 250 turbos installed on other bikes. I'm new here and in my post there are links. Its waiting moderator approval. You can find the thread under engine and title 25hp more out of the R3.

I suppose I will mention this twice anyway, The garret gt26 or whatever its called that is used for the 600cc smart car engine has been successfully used and adapted to both the ninja 250 and the cbr 250.

·
Registered
717 Posts
I know some diesel generators in some tour bus RVs also use a cute li'l turbo.

·
Registered
856 Posts
I'd rather my MC22 with its 40rwhp, or my R3 with 37rwhp.

Rideability on the track is just as important as on the road.

VFR400 is one of the best, got beaten convincingly by one on the r3, he could gap me on acceleration despite r3 running similar top speed.

·
Premium Member
2,264 Posts
I'd rather my MC22 with its 40rwhp, or my R3 with 37rwhp.

Rideability on the track is just as important as on the road.

VFR400 is one of the best, got beaten convincingly by one on the r3, he could gap me on acceleration despite r3 running similar top speed.
VFR400 was never available in the U.S. :(

·
Registered
856 Posts
VFR400 was never available in the U.S. :(
Heaps of all the JDM models here, and then another Eleventy billion market dumped... ahem 'grey im ported' in the 2000's. That's how my mc22 is $400

Its funny in Au, bikes like Ninjas, New Cbr250/300/500 and R3 are seen as somehow inferior commuterbikes by teenagers to the JDM bikes. I don't buy it, a bike is as good as its owner.

I blame the Internet haha.

·
Premium Member
2,264 Posts
Heaps of all the JDM models here, and then another Eleventy billion market dumped... ahem 'grey im ported' in the 2000's. That's how my mc22 is $400

Its funny in Au, bikes like Ninjas, New Cbr250/300/500 and R3 are seen as somehow inferior commuterbikes by teenagers to the JDM bikes. I don't buy it, a bike is as good as its owner.

I blame the Internet haha.
For the last 20 years or so, any bike less than 600cc has been seen as a Girl's Bike here in the U.S. Hopefully that's changing.

That's why all the M.C. manufacturers haven't even bothered to sell them on the U.S. market until now.

I also blame the Internet, and maybe Testosterone a little bit, too!

No 400's on the horizon for import, though. That's a pity, since they have a near perfect combination of Size, H.P. and Weight.

Small and light, with reasonable H.P., is a great way to go.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Another bike is the DRZ 400. Its weight is identical to a KTM duke 390 and both are about 60 pounds lighter then a R3.

The thing that's great about the drz 400 is the 490 BBK that is reliable takes it from stock 30hp to nearly 60hp with all the other mods and its a decently reliable 60hp. 0-60 is 3.7 seconds on a modded drz 400.

We can only hope in the future a BBK ( big bore kit) will be made available for the duke 390/ rc390 to take it up to 470-490cc and make 60HP

Sadly I have never seen any BBK's for any of the ninja 250 300 or any small parallel twin sport bike that made a big difference. There were some super pricy 270cc and 310cc stuff out there in JDM aftermarket world for like 1-2kusd but it really only made an extra 1-2 hp. It's a shame they don't make any BBk fo small sport bikes that actually increase HP.

The single cylinder bikes like the DRZ 400 have the most potential to gain with a BBK. Even my honda Grom with a 183cc BBk can go from a stock 8.5 hp to 20 hp with a BBK. The Ktm's are singles so if they make a BBK for them, they will definitely be miles ahead of every other small sport bike in post after/modification. The RC 390 is faster lighter then the R3 but is riding position is to harsh for me. However the duke is not as harsh and would be ideal if BBK's were being made for it.

Right now an R3 turbo or DRZ 490cc look like the best option
Even turbocharged I bet an R3 motor would last 60k so reliability is not an issue.

·
Registered
13 Posts
My tricked out rz350 made 60hp to the rear wheel, could have put a kit to make around 100 like my banshee but it was fast enough I had a difficult time keeping the front end down. Had to change a lot in the handling department so it's not a project for everyone. Such a light bike though and soo much fun! The was an rgv250 for sale not too long ago would have bought it but I got the r3 just because of comfort and I've never had something brand new. I'm definitely enjoying it though with s20 evo tires.

·
Registered
58 Posts
My Bandit/GSXR400 hybrid makes 67hp on pump gas to the rear wheel.

Its fun.

Stock Bandit 400 and FZR400s make about 55hp.

·
Registered
73 Posts
One of the reasons I bought the R3 is that I thought it would scratch the itch for a sub 400 pound bike with 50+ HP. Obviously I knew the R3 didn't make 50 HP, but I thought it'd be close enough.

Well.... The R3 is a great and competent small bike, but it will never be a 400 CC, inline 4 super bike.

I rode a CB1, that a friend of a friend owned many years ago. I've lusted after that kind of experience ever since. Kind of, sort of, just enough power, but the darn thing was so light that everything just blended together and worked out great!

Maybe in a few more years the "300's" will morph into "400's" and I can get my power to weight ratio even if I never get the inline 4. Maybe the CBR250RR will be the CBR350RR in the States and make 47 HP. Wouldn't that be great!!!???

·
Registered
197 Posts
Honda NT650 HAWK GT.
OK, no really small. With an after market exhaust mine was about 375lbs. About 50+ hp.
Wonderful V-twin characteristics and the best handling bike I have ever owned.
It was like a small Ducati built by Honda.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts