Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had my R3 for over a year now and have decided to start tinkering with it. Being new to bikes I don't know a whole lot about them. I already have a motodynamic fender eliminator kit along with sequential led taillight and flush mount side markers. Looking to get opinions on what to do next on the performance side. I'm looking at possibly doing a full exhaust and pvc within the next week but have read that it isn't necessarily worth it? Also have been reading that the stock tires aren't great. I mostly use the bike for commuting. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
97 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Do the R6 throttle tube mod. It is by far the best thing you could ask for on this bike.
Night and day as far as I'm concerned. And for $20, you can't beat the bang for buck.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Start with Pirelli Diablo III tires. Traction and cornering are great with them tires.

Reactions: Decon blue

·
Registered
59 Posts
Please send me all your hardly used take-off tires. I'd love to have them. They've worked great for me. PM me and I'll be happy to pay shipping.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Usually tires are designed to be in pairs. The tread pattern of the front is designed to work with the one in the rear.

·
Registered
37 Posts
For performance, swap a Panigale motor in it. :D

I've been told an R6 throttle tube is awesome. If you ride hard, tires. Personally, I'm just starting out and learning to ride and learning the bike, so the throttle tube and tires are at the bottom on my list of things to do. If there's anything that's making you uncomfortable on the bike, fix those things first. I replaced my levers with adjustable/folding levers, and it's a night and day difference for me, but I have small hands. Also, get comfortable gear. I put some gel insoles in my TCX boots, and wow, these things are super comfy now.

The best performance mod though is modding yourself to ride better. Whether it's track days with coaching, or just tweaking your riding technique and trying new body positions, I think the rider is the limiting factor for our bikes. Ride safe and have fun!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Nothing like investing in rider mods... plan to use your bike and take some rider education/ track day classes. The stock bike has tons of potential that most riders will never get close to using, let alone after implementing performance improvements. Just my $0.02.

·
Registered
162 Posts
13T, SS line, vesrah pads and S20 tires. Full exhaust is a waste of money. Even a slip on is a waste of money.
I'd do an exhaust, just not for performance. The bike sounds like a scooter.

Reactions: giff74

·
Registered
64 Posts
13T, SS line, vesrah pads and S20 tires. Full exhaust is a waste of money. Even a slip on is a waste of money.
To someone else the mods you listed are a waste of money as well. Take a city commuter for example. Why do they need S20's and a brake system upgrade when the stock items are perfectly fine, if not more suitable than your suggestion. To a commuter a loud exhaust is probably a better investment. At least that's what I'm telling the wife... :laugh:;)

·
Registered
162 Posts
To someone else the mods you listed are a waste of money as well. Take a city commuter for example. Why do they need S20's and a brake system upgrade when the stock items are perfectly fine, if not more suitable than your suggestion. To a commuter a loud exhaust is probably a better investment. At least that's what I'm telling the wife... :laugh:;)
The subject itself is pretty subjective. One man's treasure..........

But I guess if you are just talking about '**** that can be made better...' then all of his suggestions are valid... But then so is an exhaust...

Parts for this bike are so fucking cheap in comparison to big bikes, why not just do it all... lol. Or sell it and buy a better bike. /shrug hehe

·
Registered
73 Posts
I'd do an exhaust, just not for performance. The bike sounds like a scooter.
Hard to argue with that, my 72 year old mother says mine sounds like putt putt putt when I pull up. Not to mention the weight savings.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts