Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After finally getting the R3 with exactly desired specs, the bike was stolen less than couple weeks afterwards.
Thankfully, it was retrieved the morning after with some damages:
  1. Ignition switch was punched (to break the steering lock)
  2. Ignition wires from the starter were cut & hot-wired (to start the bike)
  3. Engine cover was scuffed
  4. Clutch lever's end was cut off
  5. Brake lever's end was curled/bent
  6. Upper right panel screw is missing
It seems like the biggest item to repair is the ignition switch.

Do you have any recommendations on getting these fixed?
It seems like the ignition switch & wires may need to be fixed by the repair shop, but everything else seems doable.

Also, what would you recommend as best anti-theft measures?

Thank you kindly.

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior Rim
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Tire
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Alloy wheel Steering part Motor vehicle

Wheel Tire Crankset Vehicle Bicycle tire
Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive exterior Automotive wheel system Auto part

Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Carbon

·
Vendor
2016 Yamaha YZF-R3
186 Posts
You'll have to replace any locks broken, including the ignition lock cylinder. It's a bit more difficult unless you have the tools to cut it off since it uses security bolts. Highly recommend taking it to a shop for repair and replacement of parts.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just bought my son a R3 race bike that has keyless ignition and a keyless gas cap. It did, however, have the ignition barrel and gas cap included along with one key. The harness was cut down low, so that it could have a connector soldered on. I'm in bed now but can post pics tomorrow if you're interested.

·
Vendor
2016 Yamaha YZF-R3
186 Posts
I just bought my son a R3 race bike that has keyless ignition and a keyless gas cap. It did, however, have the ignition barrel and gas cap included along with one key. The harness was cut down low, so that it could have a connector soldered on. I'm in bed now but can post pics tomorrow if you're interested.
This, easiest way by far.

·
Vendor
2016 Yamaha YZF-R3
186 Posts
just cut on those anti theft bolts two straight lines with a dremel and screw them out
Sometimes easier said than done, the OEM lockbolts come with some threadlock on them as well. Having replaced a good number over the years, there's been a few that just stripped or even broke before I could get them out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts