Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see that Jesse is working on an R6 Brembo MC upgrade but are there any other aftermarket MC upgrades? I simply cannot stand the POS master that comes on the bike stock. The first 50% of the pull is absolutely nothing, the next 25% is squishy garbage and then finally 25% of braking power. I have adjusted my lever as far out as I can reach with 1 finger but by the time it's actually braking my knuckles are in the way.

I have a braided line and that helped a little bit. I bled and had a shop verify they were bled fully but it's still ****.

What have you guys done?

·
Registered
389 Posts
I installed Vesrah pads on mine and am very satisfied with the result.

Reactions: Skills3241

·
Registered
66 Posts
I see that Jesse is working on an R6 Brembo MC upgrade but are there any other aftermarket MC upgrades? I simply cannot stand the POS master that comes on the bike stock. The first 50% of the pull is absolutely nothing, the next 25% is squishy garbage and then finally 25% of braking power. I have adjusted my lever as far out as I can reach with 1 finger but by the time it's actually braking my knuckles are in the way.

I have a braided line and that helped a little bit. I bled and had a shop verify they were bled fully but it's still ****.

What have you guys done?
Be careful which MC you upgrade to and make sure you know the ratio it offers, some MC upgrades will not pair well with the peanut stock caliper. If you are an aggressive rider or racer you may want to upgrade the MC the brake lines and the caliper. If you just want to do a good MC upgrade, the 04-06 R1 MC has a nice ratio and works very well, and it if you get the right R1 model of those years it will be a Brembo :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
@EngineeringAnon Look at this thread. R6/FZ6 brake conversion thread Spend ~$120 and get an R6 caliper, FZ6 or N650 MC & brake lever, and you're golden. Quite a nice mod and upgrade for the price. I bought a Brembo 15 RCS MC and P4 Caliper. Pricey, but tasty. Nothing wrong with the mod. It's been proven by several members, and is a viable upgrade.
Interesting mod. Did you try to upgrade the pads first?

I'm trying figure out if it's the stock MC that I don't like or the pads that I don't like. I'm actually leaning towards both being the issue. Stock pads don't have enough bite, OEM MC doesn't have any feel.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Interesting mod. Did you try to upgrade the pads first?

I'm trying figure out if it's the stock MC that I don't like or the pads that I don't like. I'm actually leaning towards both being the issue. Stock pads don't have enough bite, OEM MC doesn't have any feel.
Yeah, I have Galfer pads, and Galfer SS brake lines.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
I did the r6 caliper mod. The price of brand new pads can get you an R6 caliper. I used several combos including a ninja 650 master and rcs15. The stock one can get much stiffer if you bleed it right. The stock brakes feel like crap to me because I like a very stiff feel with aggressive bite. I found that getting them bedded in properly will greatly improve their bite. I wouldn't stick anything too big as a replacement master since you only have 1 rotor and 2 Pistons. Do a good bed in before you decide you don't like the stock pads. Some people race on the stock caliper and pads with no probs.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Can you rank the upgrades (pads, lines, mc, caliper) based on what improved brake feeling the most?
I was going to say ask @Kojiiro and @Navin first. Glad at least @Kojiiro has chimed in so far. I did pads and brake lines, and went straight to Brembo upgrade. @Navin did R6-MC/FZ6-caliper mod, and @Kojiiro did a similar mod with a Ninja 650 MC, and both apparently loved the upgrade especially for the price. For the price, it is pretty hard to beat. They deserve all the credit for those MC/Caliper hacks and mods.;)

I think from my experience, the brake lines added a lot and the pads did too, but maybe marginally less. It's hard to tell. Depends on the pads I guess- sintered vs organic vs semi-sintered. My Galfer's have some bite but they're OEM replacement. After upgrading the brake lines and pads, upgrading the caliper and MC is icing on the cake. PLus with those better OEM front brake levers, you often get and adjustable ft brake lever.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
I was going to say ask @Kojiiro and @Navin first. Glad at least @Kojiiro has chimed in so far. I did pads and brake lines, and went straight to Brembo upgrade. @Navin did R6-MC/FZ6-caliper mod, and @Kojiiro did a similar mod with a Ninja 650 MC, and both apparently loved the upgrade especially for the price. For the price, it is pretty hard to beat. They deserve all the credit for those MC/Caliper hacks and mods.;)
Navi. Brought it up so really he is to acknowledge for that. I just liked the idea I had to do it myself. Getting a working bracket with correct size was fun.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Ive not been around as I sold my R3 to build up a RC390. Finished that and then sold it as I preferred the R3 so I bought a new one and added a N650 master with a Frando fakey radial adapter kit off webbike.

The n650 master is 14mm and pushes the 4p very well. I think the FZ6 master I used in my old R3 might have been slightly too big, maybe it was 16mm? I forget now but it worked very well with the R6 4p, I just recall it wasnt the best choice after I got it.

I rode the bike for a week with just the N650 master, SS lines and stock caliper. It overpowered the stock 2p, very hard lever but no feel, lots of effort to use it. Stock master is 11mm iirc, and Id try a 12mm if I was sticking with stock caliper just as a guess it might be better.

The Frando is a very nice piece and as its assembled on my bike now Im very happy with the bite, feel and power. Its a one finger deal, two for brutal stops and stoppies.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
@EngineeringAnon Look at this thread. R6/FZ6 brake conversion thread Spend ~$120 and get an R6 caliper, FZ6 or N650 MC & brake lever, and you're golden. Quite a nice mod and upgrade for the price. I bought a Brembo 15 RCS MC and P4 Caliper. Pricey, but tasty. Nothing wrong with the mod. It's been proven by several members, and is a viable upgrade.
This is annoying because a year ago I upgrade my FZ6 forks to the R6S forks and calipers. So I literally just sold a bike that has this setup on it! I'll look into it more, I have done 4 track days on the R3 and plan to start racing it come spring (when all my upgrades are complete). This weekend I planned on practicing trail braking but I don't feel confident in the current setup. Maybe I'll have some people look into my current setup and see if I've done something wrong and maybe that's what's effecting me.

·
Registered
810 Posts
I would try to get a bleeder nipple up by the MC. The stock MC is probably fine. You just can't get the air out from that area because there is no bleeder up there. I know you can get aftermarket bleeder/bango bolt combo that may work on the MC. Not sure of the thread pitch on the stock MC though.

I changed my MC out for an Accossato 16X17 (18, 19) adjustable version, braided lines, Vesrah RJL pads, and stock caliper. Great braking and feel. Mine is strictly used for racing and I have never had any issues with it.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I would try to get a bleeder nipple up by the MC. The stock MC is probably fine. You just can't get the air out from that area because there is no bleeder up there. I know you can get aftermarket bleeder/bango bolt combo that may work on the MC. Not sure of the thread pitch on the stock MC though.

I changed my MC out for an Accossato 16X17 (18, 19) adjustable version, braided lines, Vesrah RJL pads, and stock caliper. Great braking and feel. Mine is strictly used for racing and I have never had any issues with it.

Your probably right, I'll call my local shop guy and see what he's got for me. Might be able to get something to work.

·
Registered
732 Posts
This is annoying because a year ago I upgrade my FZ6 forks to the R6S forks and calipers. So I literally just sold a bike that has this setup on it! I'll look into it more, I have done 4 track days on the R3 and plan to start racing it come spring (when all my upgrades are complete). This weekend I planned on practicing trail braking but I don't feel confident in the current setup. Maybe I'll have some people look into my current setup and see if I've done something wrong and maybe that's what's effecting me.
Get some Speigler or Galfer SS brake lines, and some Vesrah or Galfer sintered brake pads, and you should be golden.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Try back bleeding it. Press you knee into the caliper, grab the sides of the wheel and force it all the way open. Any air up near the top of the line will be firced into the master cylinder. Works both front and rear.

Then be sure to pump the pistons back out before you ride it. (Just squeeze the lever till its normal again, it will go into the bar a few times) Its a good thing to do when your waiting for someone else to leave or whatever. Takes a few seconds and keeps the lines solid.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts