Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks, just thought I'd drop in here to hopefully catch some info and mayhaps even get my foot in the door with a community for what, if all goes well, will soon be my first, new bike.

So, where to start. Well why not with the proverbial (and literal) elephant in the room, I'm 6'0 and 320lbs. For the metric folks here, that's about 145 kilos, aka **** fat. XD

But, for what it's worth that 320 represents for me about six months of progress, and 30ish lbs down the drain. Hopefully with another 60lbs to follow to hit my first major weight goal. Anyway, I'm getting ahead of myself, 260 is then, 320 is now. My concern is how much of a problem that may be for the R3. I know I'm fairly close to the weight limit of the bike, but not quite over it. That said, in your opinions, will the bike still reasonably handle my ham ass while I shed the pounds? Can I get away with cranking the preload to max? Will I be able to romp it around the backroads, or make reasonable passes on the highway? Or are there options to stiffen things up? I've heard of the Ohlins STX46, but a grand for a shock seems and awfully bitter pill to swallow. Are there any other options? Front or rear?

In any case, hit me back when you can! Peace folks, and happy new year!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hey folks, just thought I'd drop in here to hopefully catch some info and mayhaps even get my foot in the door with a community for what, if all goes well, will soon be my first, new bike.

So, where to start. Well why not with the proverbial (and literal) elephant in the room, I'm 6'0 and 320lbs. For the metric folks here, that's about 145 kilos, aka **** fat. XD

But, for what it's worth that 320 represents for me about six months of progress, and 30ish lbs down the drain. Hopefully with another 60lbs to follow to hit my first major weight goal. Anyway, I'm getting ahead of myself, 260 is then, 320 is now. My concern is how much of a problem that may be for the R3. I know I'm fairly close to the weight limit of the bike, but not quite over it. That said, in your opinions, will the bike still reasonably handle my ham ass while I shed the pounds? Can I get away with cranking the preload to max? Will I be able to romp it around the backroads, or make reasonable passes on the highway? Or are there options to stiffen things up? I've heard of the Ohlins STX46, but a grand for a shock seems and awfully bitter pill to swallow. Are there any other options? Front or rear?

In any case, hit me back when you can! Peace folks, and happy new year!
First happy new year and congratulations on making huge progress on your goal!

I'm no expert but I guess a question for me is how much riding experience you have and what you want out of a motorcycle. The R3 is a great starter bike but I'm about half your weight and with the fork was a little stiffer. You might want to replace fork springs. Also it's not a torque monster and likes to be kept humming at 7000 rpm and up to get useful power. I'm sure there's power enough to entertain you but with a heavier rider it's going to be slower. Finally I'm 5-10.5 and my knees are pretty bent on the R3. Comfortable but not laid back. You're taller and heavier so I'd try one out to see if you feel comfortable. They're great bikes but seem engineered more for smaller Asian riders so you'll just want to be prepared. Let us know what you do!

·
Registered
230 Posts
Unless it's a budget thing and assuming you do have credible, prior riding experience you might consider the FZ07. A little more umph to help with prodding the 'a mass at rest wants to stay at rest' problem. I'm 250lbs myself. At your current state you've basically de-rated the engine by 15HP.

You will absolutely need suspension up-rated on both ends. The stock is targetted at 150lbs and doesn't have the range to handle much past 180.

There are a few solutions to the suspension situation which can be solved for a touch under 600 for the shock (JRi) and the forks you can try to compensate with springs and some oil (~120), or you can get my cartridge retrofit with springs for 500, or the Andreani drop-in kit from Spears Racing. He's your go-to guy on the JRi shock as well. The Ohlins isn't a bad shock, but it's not great either.

If you're thinking maybe FZ07 is worth checking out, come on over to fz07 dot org

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@polara: Thanks for the congrats! Honestly a big part of what's helped finally make it work has been support from my friends and husband, so hearing "good job"s from others is always a pleasure. :3

As for what I want out of the bike, basically I want a tiny sports bike, something I can thrash around down and up backroads (and eventually track days) at nigh full tilt without having to worry quite too much about getting in trouble speed wise. Basically a Miata of bikes as it were. I'm not too worried about having to make it spin to keep the fun up, I've no reservations about machinery that needs to be kept on boil. As for my fit on the bike, I've actually already sat on one and found it fairly comfortable. But it may be do to my kinda funny proportioning, I've got these short little legs (28in inseam!) and an endless torso. In highschool I was the kid you saw wearing basketball Ts and making them look like regular shirts but his pant legs were rolled up into huge bundles because all his pants were way too long.
@pattonme: My aversion to the FZ07 is a small handful of things, it's too expensive for the things I have planned this year (we're getting my husband a Duke 390 as well, or FZ03 if it comes to the US, so I've only got so much bike budget to work with) and it's not quite what I want out of my "small" bike in that it's a naked bike, and "too much power" in the sense that I can't really flog it around the streets without getting John Law's attention. For what it's worth I'm expecting the 320lbs situation to be a somewhat temporary thing, but even at 260 that's still well over the intended weight for the bike it seems. These shocks and kits you've mentioned, would they handle my 260lbs goal well enough? Also, to address the experience issue, I've had my license for 2 years now, with dirt bike experience prior to that, and I've been working off and on on my Nighthawk 750 (the fact it has endless issues is part of why I'm looking into a new bike), and I can handle my father in law's Dyna Fatbob without issue so I'm fairly confident. Though for what it's worth I've never actually ridden a powerful sport or standard bike, unless you count the nighthawk as such.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I'm sorry to hear about your Nighthawk issues. That was my first bike, I got it with 35K miles and proceeded to put 60K more miles on it. Changed a head cover gasket, exhaust gasket (put a Yosh full on) and replaced the shocks with units from a ZRX. Did spark plugs and wheel bearings. Ran like a top.

Yes the forks and shock springs can be upped a lot and the damping to match. Based on the intended trajectory I would recommend 0.925kg/mm with extra preload. As the weight comes off you'll need less and less. As you approach 230, then we should revisit.

The aftermarket cartridge fork solutions (mine/Andreani) will significantly help in pitch control whereas relying on the OE internals will be an exercise in patience or a rather relaxed definition of 'acceptable'. The JRi shock with the heavy spring will likewise keep the ends balanced. And it can be re-tuned if needed without difficulty.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A lot of people have told me the Nighthawk is a good bike, and I don't have any doubt of it, but mine, eh, I think it's possessed or something. But oh well, win some, lose some eh?

I'm glad though that the bike's suspension can be refit to accommodate my weight. Honestly this bike has actually been one of my biggest motivations toward the weight loss. Can't lose it to save my life, but I'll lose it to properly fit the bike I want. XD But I digress, the investment doesn't sound too bad, and with the place it'll occupy in my stable (eventually it'll be along side a CBR600RR if I ever lose enough weight to ride it properly, a Buell 1125CR, and possibly a Fat Bob of my own) it's something I intend to keep for a long time.

As for the weight projections, if all goes well I should hit 260 around July or so, so the bike won't be at peak capacity for too long. Buy date will be February some time, or whatever the earliest I can get my Tax Return this year is. Technically I've got the money already, but I want to surprise my husband with the Duke first. :v

·
Registered
29 Posts
I am not tall..but ..heavy. I am 177 cms tall with 110 Kgs weight...I too was apprehensive regarding the sitting posture and ergo..but thankfully I don't see that as a problem. I am yet to get my bike but I did try out on a different bike with similar set up....

I am hoping that whatever it is, I will get used to it in due course.

regards,
jawed

·
Registered
45 Posts
I'm not particularly heavy @ 210 lbs. At 6'4" I'm a little tall. However, I am very comfortable on the bike, even riding for hours at a time. Love the bike.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@jawedsoft: Aye, it's a pretty comfortable bike on the whole. In time though as I lose weight, I'll probably be shifting things around a bit, getting it closer to a supersport posture. Gonna need to lose a lot first though. :v
@gseeger: Aye, all indications for me are it's going to be plenty comfortable. I just need to take care of the springs!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts