Yamaha R3 Forums banner

bigger windscreen

22K views 31 replies 19 participants last post by  spacetiger 
#1 ·
hi i am trying to look for a bigger windscreen for the R3 anyone knows where i could get one? i want a bigger screen to help me ride when i am on the freeway on my daily commute. not really pickey if it looks silly as long as it does the job! :) thanks in advance!

ride safe everyone!

#3 ·
This is the slight mistake that Yamaha and Honda have made with theses bikes. By stylizing and flush mounting the windscreen into the front fairing, they have made the options to change it or adjust it more limited. By simply fitting the windshield over the bodywork, Kawasaki has left every option for windshield shape open. And even makes them adjustable for height by using different bolt holes.

#6 · (Edited)
Zero Gravity Update

Here's the latest from Zero Gravity. They emailed me today with an update.

Quote from them:

"Yes, they're almost ready to ship. Call us at 805-388-8803 to order if you live in the U.S. They won't be available through dealers or overseas for awhile. Thanks...ZG"

I believe all 5 options will be available. Call to verify.

View attachment 12202

#7 ·
Do you have to take off the entire front end of the bike to put on a different screen? On the CBR500R you have to spend at least 2 hours taking the bike apart to do it.
I am kind of mixed on a bigger screen like the touring one, I tried one on the FZ6R, it was so loud I only rode it once and sold it.

#8 · (Edited)
Simply put, no. Just have to do it carefully, but it's a quick change out.

Same procedure for ANY screen. See my screen install post here:

http://www.r3-forums.com/forum/385-...alled-powerbronze-dark-tint-screen-today.html

If you're interested in the Zero Gravity screens you can always ask them about noise issues with their screens, although they won't have any feedback yet on the R3 since no-one has one on their bike yet.

From a Revzilla customer review on the Sport Touring screen on a Kawi 650R: " Function, the extra height of the Zero Gravity does a very good job of lessening the wind buffeting and noise. Even in the highest position the OEM screen had the wind hitting me about mid-helmet. The Zero Gravity raises this incidence angle nicely."

NOTE: some reviewers around 6"2" and taller had problems with noise with the Touring Screens because it put the wind right on the face of their helmets. The wind caused whistling or roaring around the face shield. If you're shorter than that the wind blast should go up and over your helmet. As always, verify with a call to Zero Gravity.

#10 ·
hello again! since i am a noob in riding again haha i want to hear peoples opinion on which one is better the ST or the double bubble? what is the pros and cons on each windscreen? thanks in advance on who ever is gona join this discussion!

RIDE SAFE!!

#14 · (Edited)
Be warned. They are NOT OEM Yamaha. No connection to Yamaha whatsoever. I bought a black one from them. Arrived all scratched up and I had to polish the whole thing to get it right.

These are the same ones as I posted on back in early August:

http://www.r3-forums.com/forum/385-...ore-windscreens-available-now-66-shipped.html

Not bad quality, just that the packaging was bad. Plus, they do NOT ship from Austin, TX. They come from Malaysia.

Best to spend the extra $20-$30 and get a PowerBronze or Zero Gravity screen. NOTE: Sportbiketrackgear sells the Zero Gravity Double Bubble for $85, shipped. Currently out of stock but they notify when back in stock if you throw them your email.

http://www.sportbiketrackgear.com/zero-gravity-yamaha-yzf-r3-2015-double-bubble-windscreen/

#18 ·
Most of the top windscreen makers have models for the R3. I have the Powerbronze, but I had to wait 5 weeks for the shipment for England. It is thicker and has little flexibility, but they also make most of the windscreens used in the Isle of Man TT. At $85 DOLLARS US, I didn't think the price was too high. They also don't require you to pull the front end to install it. It took about 30 minutes to reinstall mine with new rubber mounted screws. It also doesn't have the tab at the bottom that requires you to waste and hour trying to fit the screen in. The mirrors are really what hold the screen on the bike. The screws really only stop the wind from making it vibrate.

#20 ·
I did my little experiment again tonight on the highway. I'm 5'8", so probably an average size rider. Even with earplugs, I get a lot of wind noise when sitting normally on the bike, and even when tucked........still noisy. But the weird thing is, if I semi-stand up and get my head higher, the noise almost vanishes, like I hit a switch or something. That tells me, maybe I don't need a higher windscreen, I need a lower one!

#21 ·
Be careful with that assumption. I noticed the same thing so bought one of Yamaha's sport screens. It's lower which puts your head in clean air but then the freeway blast gets your head moving all over the place. I put the stocker back :-(

Marc

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.