Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went outside to check on the bike one day and I found it laying on the ground. Thats not the bad news, I picked it up and fluids started coming out 2 different places. One from something right behind the front wheel (pictured) and another from the left side where the coolant reservoir is (also pictured). The coolant level now is right above the minimum. I’m suspecting the fluid that came out the side is coolant but Im not 100% sure. The other thing is the bike wont fire up and it makes a buzzing noise right under the passenger seat when i turn the key. What do you guys think the problem is? And is the fall responsible for the malfunction?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,069 Posts
+1 with 19Matte, you need to be sure you have fuel in the tank.
I don't recognize the first photo.
I believe the R3 has a 'tip-over' system that may shut down the bike in a spill or fall.
Turn the key 'on' for 5-10 seconds to allow the bike to clear any faults and codes... then try to start it up.
If the buzzing under the seat is still there, it's probably the starter relay solenoid caused by low voltage from the battery. Slow charge the battery before doing anything else. Hopefully with a full charge the bike will spin over and start.
The black canister behind the front wheel, is part of the emissions system (fuel charcoal canister). It catches any overflow of fuel from the tank (see the hose attached to it from under the fuel tank).
The other leak appears to be coolant.
After all is starting and running good and the bike has had time to warm up, refill the coolant reservoir. Good Luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@19Matte @airhead83

I smelled it but didn’t really recognize what it was. And the first photo is the coolant reservoir.
yeah there was still gas in the tank, significantly less but there was some there. I started it up again today and the engine turned over but when I come to a complete stop at a traffic light or a stop sign the engine stalls and shuts down what could that be from?

·
Super Moderator
1,069 Posts
Maybe letting the engine run long enough to burn off any fuel, oil, I don't know, whatever got moved around while on it's side, into cylinders and crevices where it's not supposed to be? If it's starting up OK now, I'd let it run at a high idle for a while sitting still. The electric fan will engage if it gets too warm, so that shouldn't be a concern. It may be worth a try before you need to trouble shoot further.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Maybe letting the engine run long enough to burn off any fuel, oil, I don't know, whatever got moved around while on it's side, into cylinders and crevices where it's not supposed to be? If it's starting up OK now, I'd let it run at a high idle for a while sitting still. The electric fan will engage if it gets too warm, so that shouldn't be a concern. It may be worth a try before you need to trouble shoot further.
How do I let it high idle? And what am i lookin for when I do that?

·
Super Moderator
1,069 Posts
How do I let it high idle? And what am i lookin for when I do that?
You may need to manually hold the throttle open to allow higher idle for a while. All it will do is allow a few minutes for the engine to try and clear extra fuel or oil from the system. It truly may be a waste of time. But if the bike was running properly before it fell over and allowed fuel to spill over in and out side the bike, maybe running it for a few minutes without any burden can help clear it out. Just a stab at lucky fix, that may or not help.. but costs you nothing to try.

·
Registered
4 Posts
@19Matte @airhead83

I smelled it but didn’t really recognize what it was. And the first photo is the coolant reservoir.
yeah there was still gas in the tank, significantly less but there was some there. I started it up again today and the engine turned over but when I come to a complete stop at a traffic light or a stop sign the engine stalls and shuts down what could that be from?
mine is doing the same thing coming to a stop. Did you figure yours out!?? Expect mine wasn’t leaking like you say yours was

1 - 10 of 10 Posts