Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've gone on a couple rides now of 150 to 200 miles and when I get home the bike seams like its overheating. Even after a few cool down miles before stopping. The temp gauge reads 5 out of 6 bars. Should I take it to the dealer and have them check it out? What's your guys opinion and has this happened to your bike? Outside temp when i ride is between 70 and 85 degrees.

·
Registered
93 Posts
5 out of 6 bars is on the high side. I've only seen my bike hit 4 bars after coming home from bad traffic. But never higher than 3 bars upon any kind of regular riding.

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
A little hot for the first couple hundred miles as engine bits break in is not uncommon, but 5 to 6 bars seems hot to me too. Check coolant levels first - both in the radiator and the remote reservoir. If all good, take to dealer - could have a bad thermostat. Does the cooling fan come on?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes my cooling fan dose come on. I've got 3000 miles on her now. Both the radiator and the reservoir are full.

·
Registered
52 Posts
This does not seem right to me. I don't think I have ever seen my bike go to 5 bars. If it gets to 4, it is only for a minute or 2.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Can't say for sure, but definitely shouldn't be happening. I've ridden mine very hard, probably sooner than I should have, and I have never seen even the fourth bar.

Let us know what you find out.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Yes I did the 600 mile service at 600 miles exactly. (I have a slight OCD about maintenance and making sure all the fluids are at the proper levels). I solo did the dealer recomended break in from the book down to the T.

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
I'm leaning to bad thermostat. If it doesn't open properly (ie; sticks) you aren't sending enough water to the radiator to be cooled - ($20 part). The other possible is that temperatures are normal, the temperature sensor is not reading correctly - (diagnostic). We found that R6's that ran hot would benefit from changing coolant brand (10-15 degrees sometimes).

·
Registered
150 Posts
I'm riding in 80 and 90 degrees daily but never get the gauge past 3 bars although the fan kicks in quite often.
Maybe there's an airlock or faulty thermostat.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I was in the desert Thursday at 105F and it held three bars as long as I was moving. I agree that it could very well just be the gauge. That would be an easy fix.

Marc

·
Registered
321 Posts
I've ridden in 95 degree temps with the heat index (irrelevant to the bike but very relevant to the rider) of 105-110 and I've never seen the 4th bar.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Update: Dealer said sence the temp in not causeing the warning light to come on and it has never gone full hot they wont do anything about it. They said that they would be glad to check it out but if they dont find anything wrong that they will bill me for the labor and time to inspect the bike which was gonna be about $600.

·
Premium Member
2,264 Posts
Update: Dealer said sence the temp in not causeing the warning light to come on and it has never gone full hot they wont do anything about it. They said that they would be glad to check it out but if they dont find anything wrong that they will bill me for the labor and time to inspect the bike which was gonna be about $600.
$600? WTF?

Use another dealer for your Service and Warranty Work....

Maybe the dealer in Petaluma? It's a drive but it sounds like Mach 1 isn't worthy of your business.

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
You have to get VERY hot to throw the overtemp light - about 230 on my other bikes (not sure what the R3 is set at). Thermostat is designed to open at 180. If you have basic tools and a half-hour, just pull the thermostat. Located on left side of engine cylinder where rad hose connects. Two 10 mm bolts. Remove stat, put it back together, refill with coolant and do a test ride.

I know, under warranty and all that, but I'm more likely to try to screw something up myself rather than pay someone else to screw it up for me.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts