Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was parking on the street yesterday that someone knocked my bike over from backing in. Didn't realize it until getting to my bike to work this morning :crying:
Right peg, brake lever and muffler took most of the damage. Peg was broken, right lever was bent in and muffler was all scratched up

Some minor ones by gas tank and fairing but nothing major. After discussion with the service department of my dealer, I just decide to replace the brake lever and the peg for $40+installation fee instead of going through $2000 cosmetic damage or 500deductible on insurance and raising my insurance in following years.

Half of the damage the guy said I could just use sharpie to fix(no joke he showed me a few scratches was fixed in a few strokes). Now the fairings and gas tank scratches that he mentioned I could buff them fix it. While I don't really have any tools with me, what's good/simple to get?

·
Registered
49 Posts
I'll be repairing a scuffed up muffler on my wife's bike today. It's pretty rashed up. I'll post before and after pics. I'm going to sand out the heaviest scratches and paint it with BBQ grill paint. Guaranteed to be better than it is now. Before anyone asks, it waseems my wife's fault the bike got dropped..........................she lete ride it.lol

·
Premium Member
2,264 Posts
I'll be repairing a scuffed up muffler on my wife's bike today. It's pretty rashed up. I'll post before and after pics. I'm going to sand out the heaviest scratches and paint it with BBQ grill paint. Guaranteed to be better than it is now. Before anyone asks, it waseems my wife's fault the bike got dropped..........................she lete ride it.lol
You can also use high temp exhaust manifold paint. Cheap at any auto parts store.

·
Registered
2 Posts
You can order Yamaha OEM parts online (in the USA) for quite reasonable prices. This includes painted fairing parts and decals.

I scratch up my fairing after I lost control at a slow speed in deep sand. Yes I asked for it!

·
Registered
2 Posts
See

procaliber.com/oemparts/a/yam/54fdc94e87a86510e821036f/cowling-1

To fix my scratched parts would be about $150. The parts are really quite cheap and it is easy to disassemble and reassemble the fairing.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Nice thing about procaliber is they have exploded diagrams so you know you're getting the right parts. I was amazed when I looked at that site. It's top notch for ordering parts.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I am inclined not to replace the fairing/gas tank for just that minor scuffs(I know I will get scratched again by parking in the street, until I got my own house/garage or something

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1cEPl9EAG6NqVi_kvnwudIpkuexZuA0HE3Q/view?usp=sharing

Should have taken them when there's still sunlight. Just as minor as those that want to get buffed and smooth it out. Are those acrylic or? I am tempted to go to home depot and get something simple to fix

·
Premium Member
2,264 Posts
I am inclined not to replace the fairing/gas tank for just that minor scuffs(I know I will get scratched again by parking in the street, until I got my own house/garage or something

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1cEPl9EAG6NqVi_kvnwudIpkuexZuA0HE3Q/view?usp=sharing

Should have taken them when there's still sunlight. Just as minor as those that want to get buffed and smooth it out. Are those acrylic or? I am tempted to go to home depot and get something simple to fix
You can replace just that one side tank panel for $24 at procaliber.com

http://www.procaliber.com/oemparts/p/yamaha/1wd-f4129-00-p0/cover-side-1

Easy replacement. Remove seat. Remove small side panel. Remove 4 tank screws plus big one up front. Whole cover comes off. Remove the one panel. Replace with new one.

Use the old one as a tester for carbon look vinyl wrap or something....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts