Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

So this started a couple days ago from a small leak to now a massive dripping leak. I mean the bike leaks oil. The photo attached shows it leaking after just sitting for 12 hours overnight. My culprit is most likely eyeing the oil pan gasket, do any of you guys have any idea what might cause this? Never seen this happen before.

Note: It may seem from the photo the oil is leaking from the drain plug but its actually dripping down.

Attachments

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's hard to tell with the bodywork on. Can you pull the bodywork, and take more pictures? It should be pretty easy to see where it's coming from with that much oil leaking-
I will after work, its just that those panels are an absolute PITA to take off and put back on. Yes, I reckon it is a gasket or two (fingers crossed)

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Have you recently changed your oil? Check the tightness of your oil filter and drain plug. The filter is a likely culprit if not tight enough or if the old gasket from the previous filter was left behind. Also, for the drain plug if you reused your crush washer that could be the problem too.
Found the culprit, oil filter gasket failed after 1500 miles of an oil change I did. I used a Bosch brand filter which I use in all of my other cars...never had this problem before. They're really solid filters but I guess my one was bad?

·
Registered
327 Posts
Found the culprit, oil filter gasket failed after 1500 miles of an oil change I did. I used a Bosch brand filter which I use in all of my other cars...never had this problem before. They're really solid filters but I guess my one was bad?
May want to check with bosch and see if they had a recall on any filters. K&N had one for their KN-204 (R3 Compatible) a couple years ago and offered free replacements for anyone with an effected filter. Bad batches happen.

·
Super Moderator
1,336 Posts
It's possible. Glad you found the problem. If you can, post a pic of what you found. Would be interesting to see it

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's possible. Glad you found the problem. If you can, post a pic of what you found. Would be interesting to see it
Eek, well unfortunately that did not solve the problem. Woke up today to find more oil on the floor than ever before.
See, I originally thought the oil filter was leaking because of this photo attached. I think I've narrowed it down to the oil filter area, but its still leaking like mad when the bike is off. This is not good...maybe this oil filter is not designed to work with this bike?

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
This is not good...maybe this oil filter is not designed to work with this bike?
To me, the oil filter you used looks too long—at least considerably longer than the K&N I just installed last week. Is that a direct replacement number for the R3? I know there was some discrepancy earlier in the life of the R3 as to which filters you could use safely. If you aren't going to use OEM, then you had better be 100% sure that you have the right filter. Looks to me like you don't.

FWIW, the KN204-1 from K&N is a perfect fit and direct replacement. Might even be able to locate one at the local Autozone, Advance or O'Reilly auto parts stores.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I agree that filter may have a gasket mating problem and the length seems not to be a match also. OEM is about 70mm tall.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
FWIW, the KN204-1 from K&N is a perfect fit and direct replacement. Might even be able to locate one at the local Autozone, Advance or O'Reilly auto parts stores.
I agree that filter may have a gasket mating problem and the length seems not to be a match also.
I used a cross reference site that listed this filter being compatible with the R3...and plus why did this occur 1500 miles after the change? And why doesn't the bike leak more oil when its running, as the oil pressure shoot make the oil shoot out than drip.
This is concerning me because I am praying its not a cracked housing...

·
Super Moderator
936 Posts
A cracked housing is really doubtful. Stuff happens sometimes. If the housing surface area is wiped clean before the new filter is reinstalled, any dirt particles are removed and you're sure no part of the old oil filter's gasket is left behind. Other than a little oil on the new gasket and making sure the new filter is tightened per instructions, nothing else can be done. Easy peazy.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I had a filter that did the same thing on my Versys. I forget the brand, but when you screwed it on and added a 1/2 turn it did not leak upon start up. A few weeks later oil was pouring out. I removed it and compared to a WIX filter. The sealing gasket of the first filter was not as wide or thick as the WIX. It did not seal.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I had a filter that did the same thing on my Versys. I forget the brand, but when you screwed it on and added a 1/2 turn it did not leak upon start up. A few weeks later oil was pouring out. I removed it and compared to a WIX filter. The sealing gasket of the first filter was not as wide or thick as the WIX. It did not seal.
I am banking on it being the oil filter too...gonna change it once more with the K&N. I used the K&N Filter last oil change, but I got lazy and had this one lying around so I decided to use it anyways...it was only 5 bucks after all!

·
Super Moderator
1,336 Posts
Okay, here's what I would do. Check the surface where the filter goes. Did the original filter leave the rubber gasket behind maybe? Take a good look and make sure the mating surface is clean. If that's good, then grab a Yamaha filter and put that on the bike and see what happens. My bet is the filter you are using may be fine, but the gasket on the filter may not seal properly on the R3. Or, it may need to be much tighter than you think.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Okay, here's what I would do. Check the surface where the filter goes. Did the original filter leave the rubber gasket behind maybe? Take a good look and make sure the mating surface is clean. If that's good, then grab a Yamaha filter and put that on the bike and see what happens. My bet is the filter you are using may be fine, but the gasket on the filter may not seal properly on the R3. Or, it may need to be much tighter than you think.
One thing I noticed is I couldn't tighten it after turning it fully. There is no "free space" to twist the filter. Heck, I tried using oil filter pliers and it just wouldn't budge. I made a hole in it even.

Thanks for the replies guys, I ordered the new filter and I'll keep you guys posted on what happens. Otherwise, I think its MT-09 time...:D

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Oh, I know the problem. The filter you are using, look at the opening end. Does it bow out or in? The central threaded area is likely hitting the case before fully tightened. Use another filter model. I've seen this problem before on other forums.

Hahaha man I love the pictorial drawings 😄
I will definitely check this out, many thanks. I used an oil filter wrench to tighten and it would not budge so chances are your definitely right.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts