Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,
I tried finding a thread regarding stands, and I can't seem to find anything.

What brands do you guys recommend for stands? I've been getting both sides that any kind will do to only ones above a certain price point are best.

Suggestions for this beginner rider?

Thanks!

·
Registered
54 Posts
It seems that Pit Bull is the most favored, but also the most expensive, so I went with T-Rex Racing, which is also a popular alternative at a lower price point, and I've been very satisfied by them. My friend has the Venom ones which are the most reviewed stands sold by Amazon and are even cheaper; they feel good, but you get what you pay for and those stands don't feel as solid as my T-Rex ones. Beyond that, I haven't heard of any other popular ones.

I'd scour your local Craigslist to buy used and save yourself a lot of money, since there's not much difference between new and old except a big difference in price.

Also, get the rear stands that lift via swingarm spools, and get swingarm spools for your bike if you don't have them yet; they can be had for very cheap, and will make it so much easier to lift the bike.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It seems that Pit Bull is the most favored, but also the most expensive, so I went with T-Rex Racing, which is also a popular alternative at a lower price point, and I've been very satisfied by them. My friend has the Venom ones which are the most reviewed stands sold by Amazon and are even cheaper; they feel good, but you get what you pay for and those stands don't feel as solid as my T-Rex ones. Beyond that, I haven't heard of any other popular ones.

I'd scour your local Craigslist to buy used and save yourself a lot of money, since there's not much difference between new and old except a big difference in price.

Also, get the rear stands that lift via swingarm spools, and get swingarm spools for your bike if you don't have them yet; they can be had for very cheap, and will make it so much easier to lift the bike.

Thanks Felixthecat - that was actually my next question that I was going to ask regarding rear stands and swingarm spools. I'll definitely take a look on craigslist. Thanks again!

·
Registered
389 Posts
Pit Bull for the win.

Reactions: Sapico

·
Registered
32 Posts
Reactions: Sapico

·
Registered
23 Posts
If you just need the stand for short term uses, like cleaning the chain or oil changes. Try the Low Profile stand from Harbor Freight. They can be had for under $35 with the 20% off coupon. I'm happy with the way it works.

If its going to be used for longer periods of time like winter storage then you can go ahead and invest in a Pit Bull stand to give you some added peace of mind. It's worth noting though that I still would think the Harbor Freight one would do the job just fine for this scenario as well but everyone's mentality and budget is different.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you just need the stand for short term uses, like cleaning the chain or oil changes. Try the Low Profile stand from Harbor Freight. They can be had for under $35 with the 20% off coupon. I'm happy with the way it works.

If its going to be used for longer periods of time like winter storage then you can go ahead and invest in a Pit Bull stand to give you some added peace of mind. It's worth noting though that I still would think the Harbor Freight one would do the job just fine for this scenario as well but everyone's mentality and budget is different.
Thanks for that bit of information. The Pit Bull brand is definitely a bit pricey, and I really only plan on using it to do some minor modifications on my bike. I'll definitely take a look at Harbor Freight. :)

·
Registered
75 Posts
Pitbull.

I have a PSR econo-stand. It's a little sketchy, but perfect for weekend baths and the occasional oil change.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If I'm just doing minor modifications to my bike, can I get away with just the rear stand?

·
Registered
54 Posts
If I'm just doing minor modifications to my bike, can I get away with just the rear stand?
Yes, the rear stand alone will allow you to do the regular maintenance items. If you can only afford one right now, go for the rear. In fact, it's very well known you shouldn't put a bike on the front stand without it being on the rear stand first.

·
Registered
732 Posts
As Vortex stand owners like me, I am sure @Anthony_r3 & @Ildottore46 will attest that for $200 a set Vortex stands (front & rear) is not only a great deal, but almost ridiculous given their quality. You cannot beat them for the money. I did my research, and everyone swears by Pitbull, but I couldn't justify the extra cost. The Vortex stands aren't flimsy or cheap. The wheels are beefy, the tubing is strong, and have had no issues. I love them. If you're just a regular rider/commuter or even enthusiast save for maybe a professional, it would be almost insane not to get them.

·
Registered
271 Posts
?️Yep, i also have no complaints. They are cheap (not in quality) and work great. I doubt the tubes or wheels will ever break.

I can take the bike on/off of the rear stand by myself. Front stand is very easy to use. Find the right pin and line it up. Front stand comes with 5 pins so itll fit more than one bike. Currently have the front stand on my 89 zx750h.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 30 Posts