Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, my bike took a little spill the other day......fell on its left side (blame it on a rock and a dog), so the left signal light works, but the body part where the light goes is broken. The gear pedal is pushed in, but was told it should be an easy fix.

I guess what I want to know, does anyone know of a good place, yet affordable place to get my bike fixed and does anyone have a ballpark of how much it'll cost me? I've only had this bike for 3 weeks, and I am seriously bummed about what happened. I asked the dealer where I bought my bike, and they are asking an insane amount, and I know there has to be cheaper options out there. I live in the Portland, OR area.

Thanks everyone and here's a pic of the damage.

Attachments

·
Registered
161 Posts
You should be able to just bend the lever back out. It still may be bent a bit but as long as it doesn't bump the rod or anything else you should be good.

As far as body work, your best bet may just be to get new fairing for what is damaged.

Bummer to hear about it being damaged already. Had a similar experience. Just remember plastic can be replaced :)

Reactions: Sapico

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Ravaloft. It totally does suck, 3 weeks and something already happened! That's good to know about the lever. I can totally still upshift - it's the downshifting where it's hitting something. I'll try and bend it out today. Thanks again!

·
Registered
59 Posts
I feel you on this. Same thing happened to me the FIRST day and if it wasn't for those stupid bulbous signals the fairings wouldn't have sustained that damage. Ultimately I did have to purchase new fairings from Pro caliber. Then I purchased a pair of TST flushmount signals.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How much did Procaliber end up charging you? That's where I bought my bike from, and they were giving me insane numbers. Those signals, seriously. I was so pissed, because it's true, if it weren't for those darn signals, my bike would be fine......

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I feel you on this. Same thing happened to me the FIRST day and if it wasn't for those stupid bulbous signals the fairings wouldn't have sustained that damage. Ultimately I did have to purchase new fairings from Pro caliber. Then I purchased a pair of TST flushmount signals.
How much did Procaliber end up charging you? That's where I bought my bike from, and they were giving me insane numbers. Those signals, seriously. I was so pissed, because it's true, if it weren't for those darn signals, my bike would be fine......

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
haha, at this rate, I'll try anything. It can't hurt to try! Anything is better than nothing hahaha

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
102 Posts
Thanks AesonVirus! This is a huge help. Am I able to install this myself, or do I need to have someone else do it? I guess, is it an easy install?

Thanks again!
I replaced the same fairing on my bike myself. Took about an hour, could do it in half that if you're really fast. Its not difficult, just time a little time consuming.

This article was super helpful and guides you through the entire process -

http://www.yamahar3racing.com/2015/05/how-to-remove-the-side-fairings-from-the-yamaha-r3/

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Why are the R3 fairings so complicated? My Ninja 250 fairings were about 3 minutes to take off and put back on.
looking at the steps, its just seems like a lot of screwing and unscrewing and unhooking. hopefully it won't take that long for me to do....

·
Super Moderator
1,562 Posts
Thanks AesonVirus! This is a huge help. Am I able to install this myself, or do I need to have someone else do it? I guess, is it an easy install?

Thanks again!
Very easy to remove and install these fairings.
TST has a nice video showing how to install their sliders. They do a good job showing how to remove the fairings so this should help you quite a bit.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-DgVw-TXcs

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Very easy to remove and install these fairings.
TST has a nice video showing how to install their sliders. They do a good job showing how to remove the fairings so this should help you quite a bit.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-DgVw-TXcs
This video is a huge help! Thanks again. I'm glad I don't have to spend a fortune and have someone else do it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I ended up having someone else install my frame sliders just because I was having it professionally lowered at the same time. They only charged me $30 to do it, which is about the same price as the torque wrench I would've had to buy in order to do it. So it shouldn't be a fortune even if you do decide to have someone else put it in for you

·
Super Moderator
1,562 Posts
I ended up having someone else install my frame sliders just because I was having it professionally lowered at the same time. They only charged me $30 to do it, which is about the same price as the torque wrench I would've had to buy in order to do it. So it shouldn't be a fortune even if you do decide to have someone else put it in for you
I agree. I take the opposite approach to this though...

It's going to cost me $250 to have my dealership perform my 600 mile service. I don't have everything I need to do the service so just paying it is a tempting option.
But...
If I buy a rear stand, oil pan, filter, oil, chain brush, chain lube and anything else I need to do the service and do it myself, it will cost a bit less and I'll have the tools to do it again next time.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Partzilla is the way to go.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

1 - 19 of 19 Posts