Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So some interesting posts on what is a norm on what you would spend on mods to the R3. That got me thinking about bike weight as reducing the weight is another way of widening the riding envelop of the bike.

Stock weight is 368 lbs wet (non-ABS). I am interested in street legal modified bike weight. I know the stock weight could be brought way down. On the Hawk GT forum, a rider has gotten a Hawk down to 315 lbs with modified engine for greater output AND is street legal. I would hope the R-3 could be brought down a lot. Money is the only limitation.

What is your weight?

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
So some interesting posts on what is a norm on what you would spend on mods to the R3. That got me thinking about bike weight as reducing the weight is another way of widening the riding envelop of the bike.

Stock weight is 368 lbs wet (non-ABS). I am interested in street legal modified bike weight. I know the stock weight could be brought way down. On the Hawk GT forum, a rider has gotten a Hawk down to 315 lbs with modified engine for greater output AND is street legal. I would hope the R-3 could be brought down a lot. Money is the only limitation.

What is your weight?
There are actually a few threads on this already. Stirz posted his weight and even weighed everything. His bike was for racing, but with actual weights per item, that can help you get down to the weight you are aiming for.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There are actually a few threads on this already. Stirz posted his weight and even weighed everything. His bike was for racing, but with actual weights per item, that can help you get down to the weight you are aiming for.
Found the Striz post you speak of, but I couldn't find all the weights. The thread didn't seem to continue; perhaps the group interest was too narrow.

Still, good info to inform where to consider while eating your salad.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Nevermind what the bike weighs, what does the bike + you weigh?

474lbs total for me.

I find it ridiculous that one of my other bikes weighs 490 by itself without me on it. Haha.

·
Super Moderator
1,562 Posts
I don't track... I just cruise back and forth to work on mine, so take my opinion with that in mind.

I don't want my R3 weighing any less than it already does. As it is, when I'm at the top of an open hill during the breezy day, it takes everything I have just to keep the bike on the road due to cross winds. It's actually kind of scary sometimes.
Even slightly heavier bikes, I've never felt such an effect from cross winds like I have on this bike.

On a track though, I could see where a weight reduction would be beneficial.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I think in my case it would be more beneficial slimming down the rider than the bike!

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
Yes, cheaper and better to lose 10-20 lbs from the rider. that being said, lose weight in the drive train (sprockets,chain, wheels and disc) will result in best performance gains.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Nevermind what the bike weighs, what does the bike + you weigh?

474lbs total for me.

I find it ridiculous that one of my other bikes weighs 490 by itself without me on it. Haha.
What the bike+ you weighs kind of depends on what the bike itself weighs, so you can't really never mind that. For some, total weight is easier reduced by starting with the bike even though thy might want to start with the rider first.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
My goal is to get mine under 320 lbs. Coming from the overweight CBR500, which weighs about 380 in race trim...I'm hoping the R3 will handle much better.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts