Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My front brake fluids black but the recommendation on the owners manual says every 2 years... it hasn't even been 1 year yet though.

I'm positive it's only black due to sun exposure, i have since now put a sock over it.

Any negatives effects from this or nah?

But should i flush it out and replace the fluids or don't worry about it?

Thanks guys.

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
If it isn't clear and close to the color of new brake fluid, you should replace it. In the case of 'black' - do it NOW!!

Brake fluid will absorb water, so cloudy, green or black means it has picked up contamination. Contamination leads to loss of braking and corrosion of internal parts. Warm, humid climates require more frequent changes. Black is not good, and could mean that some of the brake system rubber bits are in the fluid, so when you replace it, look for that - if you find them a brake rebuild might be in your future.

If you need tips on how to do a flush and bleed, we can walk you through that.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Stirz you are such a legend always responding to people and all knowing ride on brother!

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
No worries!
When I lived in Louisiana (warm, humid) it was pretty common for the brake fluid to turn green and 'chunky' over time. An old mechanic I knew at the time told me that it was algae growing in the water that survived living off the brake fluid. I never confirmed that, but yeah....

Another (maybe useful) tip: Buy good quality motorcycle DOT4 fluid (Motul, Silkolene, etc.) in the smallest container available, usually 500ml, because once you open it, the unused amount left in the bottle will pick up moisture too. When you open it, do not remove the foil seal - just punch a hole in the foil with a toothpick so you can squirt out what you need, cap it, and it should be good for a year or so.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh yeah Stirz, i forgot to ask you does bleeding the brake fluid be different on a ABS model since im from Australia and they come ABS standard or its the same procedure as non ABS models.

·
Registered
79 Posts
My brake fluid is blue! What do I do???

Its ATE Superblue fluid. Forgot to mention that :)

·
Premium Member
1,562 Posts
Does putting a sock over the reservoir really do anything or is that an urban legend? If it works, where can you buy a 'nice' sock?
Reservoir socks and their protective qualities on fluid longevity is another one of those never ending internet debates, similar to how loud pipes save lives.

It depends on who you ask but some say they are purely aesthetic, some claim they protect the fluid from sunlight and some even claim it collects leaking fluid so it doesn't drip out an cause harm... who the heck rides around with leaking brake reservoirs?!?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Reservoir socks and their protective qualities on fluid longevity is another one of those never ending internet debates, similar to how loud pipes save lives.

It depends on who you ask but some say they are purely aesthetic, some claim they protect the fluid from sunlight and some even claim it collects leaking fluid so it doesn't drip out an cause harm... who the heck rides around with leaking brake reservoirs?!?
It also is a racing thing, we replace the stock reservoir with the smallest available and then put a sock on it to absorb any potential cracks/leaks from going down to protect the racetrack and other racers.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts