Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went for a ride in the dark for the first time in a long time and noticed my headlight appears to be out! I'm assuming this means the bulb will be blown rather than a fuse since the high beam is still working?

It looks like the part number is 1WD-H4314-00-00 for a 12V-55W bulb. The price is $36.75 USD which seems exorbitant. Does anyone know if the bulb is a common type of bulb that can be obtained for cheaper than that?

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks @sLing - the H7 looks just like the OEM bulb so I'd say you're right. I can get one of these much cheaper for $7 USD!

·
Registered
505 Posts
For some reason unknown to me, a LED headlight bulb may conflict with the wiring and the headlight switch. I installed one once and there was a problem with the hi/low function of the headlight switch. I gave to bulb to someone else and it worked on their Honda. YMMV I went back to an incandescent and added a 7 LED driving light.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
For some reason unknown to me, a LED headlight bulb may conflict with the wiring and the headlight switch. I installed one once and there was a problem with the hi/low function of the headlight switch. I gave to bulb to someone else and it worked on their Honda. YMMV I went back to an incandescent and added a 7 LED driving light.
I'm running the standard OEM halogen bulb and will only replace it with a halogen. I think you're correct - if you just replace halogens with LEDs you're going to run into issues.

·
Registered
305 Posts
The LED H7 bulbs, especially the cheaper ones aren't really great and have a different beam pattern. They also have durability issues as they are not rated for the kind of vibration and typically are not designed to dissipate the heat properly. If you want to replace the bulbs, stick with halogens. Unless you replace the entire unit with HID but that comes with its own issues as well (cooling, power ballast, etc.)

·
Registered
307 Posts
Do NOT spend "only" $7 for a LED headlamp bulb. "Too cheap to be good" is a close relative of "too good to be true".

Any H7 bulb from your friendly local auto parts store will work. They are industry-standardised; you don't have to use the Yamaha one.

If you opt to go LED, bear in mind that 90% of what's on the market is utter rubbish (don't believe the exorbitant claims), 90% of what's left is okay but doesn't live up to its claims and perform no better than a standard incandescent bulb, and the 1% that's left are actually good quality products that give good light distribution, don't cause excessive glare to oncoming drivers, don't interfere with the vehicle's electrical system, and are likely to last longer than an incandescent bulb. That 1% is not easy to find, and you can be certain that they're not going to be $7 each. A higher price might mean better quality ... or it might mean rubbish being sold at a markup.

Beware. Look for online reviews of the specific product you intend to purchase. Proper ones, that actually measure the light output and look at the beam pattern.

Or skip all that nonsense and just buy a normal H7 from an auto parts store, knowing that it will function properly.

·
Super Moderator
1,172 Posts
Suzuki just had a safety recall on one of their 2018 GSXs to replace the headlamp with a more vibration-resistant type. Seems some of their bikes' headlamps were 'failing prematurely'. (notice I said the 2018 model)., so they upgraded. This bike use an H4, so it would be useless to post the part number.
My point is, there is a difference in lamps, and since it's not always an easy task to get to the bulb, why skimp on cost.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Do NOT spend "only" $7 for a LED headlamp bulb. "Too cheap to be good" is a close relative of "too good to be true".

Any H7 bulb from your friendly local auto parts store will work. They are industry-standardised; you don't have to use the Yamaha one.

If you opt to go LED, bear in mind that 90% of what's on the market is utter rubbish (don't believe the exorbitant claims), 90% of what's left is okay but doesn't live up to its claims and perform no better than a standard incandescent bulb, and the 1% that's left are actually good quality products that give good light distribution, don't cause excessive glare to oncoming drivers, don't interfere with the vehicle's electrical system, and are likely to last longer than an incandescent bulb. That 1% is not easy to find, and you can be certain that they're not going to be $7 each. A higher price might mean better quality ... or it might mean rubbish being sold at a markup.

Beware. Look for online reviews of the specific product you intend to purchase. Proper ones, that actually measure the light output and look at the beam pattern.

Or skip all that nonsense and just buy a normal H7 from an auto parts store, knowing that it will function properly.
Don't worry i's from a reputable automotive store and is a decent mid range brand that's sold in NZ and AU (See below).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts