Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought my R3 lightly used, already had the rear fender eliminated, also has flush mount front signals that light up blue when the turn signals are not on. Oklahoma is pretty lax when it comes to things like tint, exhaust, race tires, underglow, etc.. we have the laws but they are rarely enforced unless your being stupid and they need a reason to pull you over. Also have the law that no motor vehicle shall have a light the color blue. The LED’s are pretty bright and I would think easily catch the eye on a dim lit road. I don’t really ride at night, not yet anyway, but anyone have blue LED’s on their bike? They look nice and match the bike, but I don’t want to be continually harassed for having them, especially being a sport bike since some cops tend to want to target bikes.

·
Registered
322 Posts
If the signals you have are TST they offer replacement halos for their turn signal in any of their other color flavors. I went with white because it's one less thing to get pulled over for but the pink is pretty spicy.

·
Super Moderator
909 Posts
The reason there is a standard color for running lights, turn signal signals, and brake lights,.. is all about Safety. Close or at a distance, the orientation of the vehicle can be determined by the color of the light. For example, your Front running light/turn signal is Orange, your Rear brake light is Red. .. Why take a chance, or worse cause a panic, by confusing a driver of a 7000LB vehicle, who's coming at you with reduced visibility of darkness?? Any motorcycle rider I know will tell you.. Many auto drivers are already distracted without having another reason to be confused. :nerd:

·
Registered
17 Posts
I personally bought the TST Industries flush mounts with the amber running lights for extra legality, although I really wanted to buy the blue ones. I’m still thinking about under glow for my bike but I don’t really want to be a cop magnet...

·
Registered
92 Posts
I researched such topic a while ago before fitting LEDs to my R3. Using any type of blue light will attract cops. Legally, white light should be used at the front, red at the rear and yellow on the sides. Other colours are not permitted.
If one wants to install LED lights of any colour (I'd stay away from blue regardless), they should be hidden under the fairings and pointed inwards not outwards, i.e. illuminate the parts of the bike with the exception of red at the back, white at the front and yellow on the sides.
This way it is considered to be kinda legal but one has to be ready to explain himself if facing a cop.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I've been running the blue halo flush mounts for over a year and never had a cop bat an eye about them. Cops are 50/50 here regarding aftermarket lights. My opinion about the blue color is that it catches drivers eyes a lot more than standard colors at night. I see them staring in what I could only assume is amazement :D I think this falls into the same category as removing your reflectors in terms of legal danger. Are both technically illegal, yes. From the cops I have talked to about it they told me that they do not care as long as its not flashing. Flashing blue = police

·
Registered
3 Posts
Depends on where you live. I got pulled over 3 times in CA for my blue license plate LEDs on my G35 lol. Just went with white LEDs on the R3.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts