Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I just lost my virginity three times over...first post, new rider, and new R3!

So here is the deal...I've read no less than a week's worth of content on the forum and I may have prematurely jumped the gun and bought a K&N race air filter from revzilla along with a PCV 5.

A. A few questions prior to the primary question:

1.Is an aftermarket high air flow filter a must if planning to add full aftermarket exhaust (e.g. akrapovic gp)?
2.Is there a problem with sticking the aftermarket + PCV PRIOR to installing the exhaust (need to save some more $$ my lady is already complaining).
3.Can I install the block off plate while doing the PCV work PRIOR to the full exhaust (Have to remove the tank for both, so why not then)?
4. Should I wait until the bike has been broken in to complete the work above or does it not matter?

B. Important details:
1. The bike has 100 miles on it exactly, has not been broken in
2. The bike has therefore, not had the initial service completed

C. So back to the primary question at hand... There is an existing thread that talks about K&N filters not having proper fitment, but that was for an older model and I don't see any new discussion about having been solved? I also haven't found any conclusive data that compares the airflow AND filtration performance of the K&N vs. BMC vs. OEM.

I really am concerned about engine wear and would rather leave the OEM in place if the aftermarket comes with compromising engine longevity due to ingesting excess dirt/grime/etc.

The bike is going to be used for aggressive street riding (once broken in) and will be tracked.

Thanks all!

·
Premium Member
1,391 Posts
Welcome! I will try and answer your questions but I'm no expert so take it for what its worth

1. No, but to maximize gains you'd want it
2. No there isn't any 'right' way for anything
3. Yes
4. Doesn't matter

As for K&N I'm not sure. I bought a BMC for the very reason that you mentioned - the fitment. But I would doubt that would still be the case. If you want to maximize the gains though, try to desnorkel your airbox (search). It's a free and reversible mod if you do it correctly. It's a big long tube in the top of the airbox. I'm sure its there to channel the air flow better but it's really small and taking it out opens it up nicely.

Good luck with the new bike!

·
Registered
346 Posts
Have you ridden the bike yet without the mods? I know you mentioned it had 100 miles, but not sure if the bike is BRAND new or new to you.

I'd focus on learning to ride well first before throwing variables into the mix, if you start to have issues it'd be easier to troubleshoot if it's normal to the bike or not too. Gives you a good idea if the bike has any weird quirks, also if the recall hasn't been done, I'd probably do that before installing any mods too. Just another case of being able to say was the work completed right or is it the mod making the bike behave weird, change one variable at a time (mods vs major work in this case).

If something weird happens mid-ride as a result of the mods are you confident enough as a rider to be able to handle the issue without incident? Maybe weird fueling issues, throttle, engine cut off... You're basically piggy backing the ECU of the bike which can make for sometimes un-intended results. So as I mentioned are you confident enough to be handle any of those issues without incident?

Now that I'm done busting your balls, I'd say go for it! :) If I could afford it I'd have done this already too but my recent car modding was too expensive haha (I'm also new but just some points to think about). Also do you really think you'll have the R3 long enough to justify the mods? You might be able to use that money to trade up to a quicker bike with a lot more benefit... just food for thought.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I went with the BMC (fits great), Driven block off plate and full Yosh exhaust all at once (adding Bazzazz when tax return comes). I believe you can do the block off + PCV with stock exhaust, just want to make sure you have the right map installed in the PCV. Then, re-map once you add full exhaust.

If you are adding full exhaust/Block Off and PCV, I would go with the BMC to maximize gains throughout the powerband. While I understand the desire to install what you have now rather than wait till full exhaust is bought and do it all at once (I too just could not wait), my advice is wait and just knock it all out together.

Good luck with the installs, post up after you get them done!

·
Registered
271 Posts
BMC vs. K&N vs. OEM Air with PCV

The k&n i bought fits great. No issues whatsoever. Took me about 5 mins to fit. The early threads were people trying to get the filter to fit before k&n released the correct filter.

On my dads bike, I installed a bmc. Looking at the two filter elements, they look identical.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Decided to keep the K&N for now!

Waiting on all parts to arrive and will post pics when ready! Thanks for your help everyone!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts